• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Feel "Normal" In Certain Environments

I don't feel normal or socialize normally anywhere, and never have. Probably never will. Functional isn't normal.

I think it comes down to not being interested in feelings or exchanging social information and ritual, which is extremely important to many at the start of or at least early on in any interaction or friendship. Since giving up on being normal, I socialize exclusively to stimulate myself, goof off, and gain information, and maybe become curious about someone's feelings or their favorite bands if I decide I like them down the road. I've become much more comfortable in public and in talking to new people, but that's still not normal.

No matter where I go when it comes to interests, I don't share much or at all in common with the people there when it comes to personality, tastes, etc. I've never experienced a community of people who are "like me".

Do you guys feel "normal" in certain environments? At two of my old employers, when I started, I had the typical trouble of socializing, but once I was able to form friendships with the people there, I felt like a regular person. Whenever I go there now (or hang out with a former co-worker), I feel normal and don't have the typical social issues I have.

Now at another former employer where I wasn't able to make friendships, whenever I stop in, I feel like I usually do (nervous, shy, etc.)

Do you guys have a certain place where you can socialize normally with people?

At my first job, in a professional milieu, I felt normal but did not normally socialize with coworkers. In a subsequent position, I always felt like the odd person out. I have no problem with public speaking at a conference but am alone most of the time.

I am an ardent needleworker, particularly needlepoint. Once per week, I stay and stitch at my local needlework store. I do like to be among people but the others there will squeeze other people in but not me and talk around me. Sometimes I feel invisible,

I am comfortable at restaurants, theaters, etc.

At my first job, in a professional milieu, I felt normal but did not normally socialize with coworkers. In a subsequent position, I always felt like the odd person out. I have no problem with public speaking at a conference but am alone most of the time.

I am an ardent needleworker, particularly needlepoint. Once per week, I stay and stitch at my local needlework store. I do like to be among people but the others there will squeeze other people in but not me and talk around me. Sometimes I feel invisible,

I am comfortable at restaurants, theaters, etc.

About what those people do at the needlework store - that's just rude! I went to a knitting/crochet "gathering" once at this one bookstore with my friend Mary and I came back saying I didn't want to go ever again. I tried to ask those women about their projects and how long they've been knitting or crocheting and hoping to get a conversation going, but it was hard to even get them to show me how they did a certain stitch. I just don't get people sometimes. Who would go to a social gathering and not be social? Since then, knitting has been a solo activity for me - just me and my dvd's. I'll learn anything I need to on my own, thank you.

About what those people do at the needlework store - that's just rude! I went to a knitting/crochet "gathering" once at this one bookstore with my friend Mary and I came back saying I didn't want to go ever again. I tried to ask those women about their projects and how long they've been knitting or crocheting and hoping to get a conversation going, but it was hard to even get them to show me how they did a certain stitch. I just don't get people sometimes. Who would go to a social gathering and not be social? Since then, knitting has been a solo activity for me - just me and my dvd's. I'll learn anything I need to on my own, thank you.

I had settled down to stitch but packed up all my stuff and left and sat in my car until I calmed down from being upset. One of the women who is a child psychologist who specializes in autism spectrum disorders came out and wanted to know what was wrong. I told her. She asked me to come back in and made space for me at the table. I think that she said something to the others. Since then, they have been more welcoming.

If I feel like I'm being treated like a human being and that I don't have to worry about who I am or what I think (rare).

I feel at ease when I'm doing karaoke. It's in places with the "Cheers" effect (where everybody knows my name).

No. I can't socialize. I stay in my house. But I don't know what I am. My daughter (ASD level 1) is the same way.

I feel normal when I am alone without the chance of being disturbed. It's always better that way. Anyone else around makes me wary. I've only just realised how true this is, and hadn't really noticed it before. I am never myself around any other human being.

familiar spaces where there aren't any people.

At college the building had alot of spaces and areas that were empty and void of people and not a huge amount of people, which suited me.

At uni, people were like ants, everywhere and it was difficult to find an empty space. A toilet stall was the closest I could get to feeling comfortable!

New Threads

Top Bottom