• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you ever forget to use your face like it’s an avatar?

Lilacleia16

Do you ever forget to use your face like it’s an avatar? I do and then I get hit with the same thing every time and it’s infuriating. Over and over again we’ll meaning random people in public will tell me to smile and say something like it can’t be all that bad can it? I guess I have resting sad face. Lol. Does anyone else have to remember to use your face?

I haven't had that problem but if someone told me to smile, I probably wouldn't be very polite back.

I apparently have a resting angry or irritated face. People don't tell me to smile, but I have been asked "What's wrong?" Fortunately I knew not to actually tell them everything that's wrong.

"What's wrong? It can't be all that bad, can it? Smile!"
"No Mom, I'm fine."
"Then why the long face?
"Never mind, Mom."

Just wish I got paid for every time that conversation transpired. :rolleyes:

Only under pressure. Happened all the time in corporate meetings to the point where I was nicknamed poker face.

I think just taking in all the overstimulation from my 5 senses is enough to actually make me sad so maybe it really can be “that bad”, ya know?

I have resting happy face, I call it. And if someone actually makes me happy or sad, or whatever, it will naturally show on my face. If I prefer to walk around in my own private world, my own private thoughts, I don't feel the need, or obligation, to please someone else's ideas about how I should look. If they can't accept me as me, then I have already moved on.

I have heard Hannah Gatsby they that sometimes forget to tell their face how they feel

Edited - change of personal pronouns

Yes. Apparently my resting face is not pleasant, or so I've been told. So the typical issue is that if somebody is talking to me and I happen to be in my la-la-la place, which happens often, I appear as upset, distant, gone, and not caring.

The ironic thing is that most of the time the la-la-la is about the conversation. Thinking about their problem and how to respond or how to be nice to them. But the result is the opposite.

So one solution, which requires energy, is to be in la-la-la while smiling and nodding :)

I have to tell people:

"If I'm looking over your right shoulder and seem to be zoned out, it means I'm listening very carefully. I can look at you if it makes you comfortable, but I won't be thinking about what you're saying if I do."

New Threads

Top Bottom