• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Ever Forget To Reply Out Loud?

Wow glad it's not just me, since joining.this site, talking to othere members reading.notes or topics it's amazing the support network that this site gives I can't.belive I only joined a few days ago, I'm learning alot.about.my self stuff I never even noticed

Wow glad it's not just me, since joining.this site, talking to othere members reading.notes or topics it's amazing the support network that this site gives I can't.belive I only joined a few days ago, I'm learning alot.about.my self stuff I never even noticed
I agree! Im not able to be on here a lot now but I always learn a lot. I think people can read my mind a lot too. Sometimes that's visibly upsetting to me because I feel bad for the thoughts I have. Thank god I have NT people in my life to explain these things to me!

My husband accuses me of this ALL THE TIME, but I argue because I SWEAR that I have spoken out loud, because I HEAR myself responding but he is equally adamant that the opposite applies and being an aspie, I now know why I feel such indignation, because if you HEAR yourself speak out loud, it is inconceivable to accept that you didn't actually speak out loud and has caused many arguments between us and now, I just say: shall we agree to disagree? He reluctantly goes along!

It is true, what you say, my head is ALIVE with words and sentences and I am always having conversations with myself lol but sadly, those can go too far, because as my husband has pointed out, if I create a scenario of how a person with respond to me and then, it doesn't, I get so upset and so now, I try so hard to not go down that road!

I probably mentioned it somewhere already.... sometimes I have a half of conversation inside my head and then start speaking out loud. A person I talk to may become confused because they only hear a part of what they're supposed to hear. I'm aware of it now, but I still do from time to time.

Oh heck I am soooo guilty of this lol! My husband says to me: Suzanne, perhaps if actually tell me what you are talking about, I will be able to respond or I think you are having this conversation in your head and I smile rather wryly and agree that perhaps I am, but wow it is a STRUGGLE to recount the who conversation and I seriously have to try and regain the enthusiasm!

People who claim I just say random things don't realise that I am just answering the question "what are you thinking about?". It has also happened that I've read out loud in response to "what are you reading?".

If what I'm thinking seems relevant to an earlier conversation – occasionally years earlier – I'll just say it, fearing I'll forget it if I take the time to update the context.

And, not so much any more, to the originally question. When I was younger, thinking an answer would often feel the same as saying it. Nowadays I have to check whether my mouth and throat also feel like I have said it.

I am blown away, because this is sooooo me!! My husband (again) is always saying that he wishes I would stick to one subject, because I just will go off in all directions and the poor man is lost!

Do you ever not understand the question right then, but a long time later (hours, days, months), the question suddenly resonates and you have a driving urge to voice your answer?

For me, this is always the case; in fact, I am chronic with questions. I look at the question and just cannot make head nor tail of it and then, finally, several hours etc, I think: ah that is the answer! And yep I am then eager to get on with the answering and like you say: can be a driving force that you MUST answer!

I'm a victim of this. NTs often get mad at me for it/because of it.

"Well, you should be able to know when to reply out loud."
"You're really rude. You're always ignoring people."

Sometimes I also think I've already replied, and then it turns out that I didn't. Ugh. :(

Additionally, I think people put too much value in verbal communication. I would actually/honestly be perfectly fine communicating through ASL for the rest of my life. Seems much easier. I need to learn it, too, because maybe I could use that to my advantage. Because again, I'm not very verbal.

What I seem to do often is to answer a question several minutes later... people laugh or say "huh?" because of the time lapse, but it's as if it's been hanging in the back of my mind the entire time and doesn't seem odd to me. I mean, I understand why it seems odd to them, but I just can't get it out of my head until I answer them. And I often am busy typing or reading or singing/humming if at home, so when I'm asked the question, it's like I shift it to the back of my brain until I'm ready or able to answer. Often, I will just totally forget for a while that I was asked a question, but then I'll suddenly remember... and then the delayed answer that they find odd :)

YES. I rehearse many conversations before I have them to make sure I don't miss any important points when we talk, and I guess sometimes I get so involved with the conversation that I forget that it didn't actually happen. I find it entertaining half the time though. Hard to get lonely!
THIS!

I often forget to reply to email and sometimes texts depending on how excited I am to answer.

I think the phonological loop (part of short term working memory) is at play in this issue. While it is not Echolalia, the cause may be similar. The phonological loop is used for temporary storage for both listening and speaking (which is why listening and talking at the same time is difficult). With echolalia, it seems the person doesn't keep track of where the thought came from, and if it has been voiced yet, and/or creates a feedback loop.
The issue in this thread is similar in that it has got to the phonological loop, but it is not clear if it was voiced.

I very often don't reply to people, but not because I answered in my head. I don't answer because I simply didn't hear; I failed to process the speech, because my focus is elsewhere. I have some difficulty integrating different senses - sound, visual, etc. When I'm listening I don't see. When I'm looking I don't hear. I read once that people on the spectrum often do this and it's the brain's way of protecting itself against sensory overload. It causes a lot of problems at work. A former boss once called me into the office and said that she thought I have hearing problems and that I need to go to the doctors to get my ears checked.

Sometimes I have a thought or idea in my head, and later I assume others know it. I forget that the idea was a private one in my head, and not one that I discussed with others.

I have had to learn to answer a comand when working with some one else (such as bleeding brakes) as I tend to interalize my answers.

And having a conversation with your self is just thinking aloud.

I did that alot as a child.... like not looking people in the eye when chatting... My father helped me to rectify that issue. Now, sometimes, I reply too much..LOL

I have many times though i have said something but i only though it and didn't say anything.
when writing i often don't know what i will say, so then i either stop the conversation or wait a few hours before replying.

Only joined and seen this conversation and that is me 100%
People talk to me and wait for a conversation back but all they get is yes or no it something short but I have a the total conversation to myself in my head. They walk away probably saying, ok that was short, but in my head I've after answering or thought of a conversation but it's all to late and I then feel bad because I said it to myself and not them

May be patrick you could learn to andrew as you do in your head. It could also be the questions they are asking, you are replying with the first thing that comes into your head, which is yes or no.

I have this problem, and it's pretty pervasive in my life. I often find myself having to retroactively clarify what I meant. Just one more thing to work on, I suppose.

New Threads

Top Bottom