• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you come across as shy?

superboyian

Former Co-Owner
V.I.P Member
I do sometimes come across as a shy person when there is tons of crowds but it wasn't as bad as before when I wouldn't actually even say a single word at all unless I was on my own or with a friend who I could trust.

I think its more common on the autistic side of the spectrum I would of imagined, but I don't know if you agree with that?

But yea, do you come across as shy?

yes i have when there is a lot of people in a room I get shy and hard for me to follow many conversation at one time

I either come across as shy or disruptive. If I am in a room full of people I have never met then I am incredibly shy. If I already know everyone, I make a conscious effort to try to keep contributing to conversations, although this normally results in me talking at the wrong time or saying something completely stupid.

I am more confident talking to people who know I have AS because I know that if I do say something stupid, they will understand why and not make a point of it.

I'm not shy but it comes across that way especially if I'm with bunch of anons. People thought I was just shy that's why I don't talk to them. I am always afraid to tell people exactly what's on my mind because they might misinterpret me. In my opinion, most Aspies/Auties are not really shy - they just don't know what to say...like me. What do you think?

I used to be shy. Well, maybe a little bit even now but not so shy as I used to be. When I was in junior high it was more easy to talk with adults. Talking with youngsters at the same age as me was hard. Now days I`m more confident. I mean, what`s the point in being shy? I started to think "So what if I don`t know them? It?s not like they bite if I say something." I usually made some "mind practice"; I pictured myself in situations where I talked with people I did`t know while being confident. You guys should try that too.

But yeah I also agree with visnofskygirl; Many Aspies might not be shy if they won`t talk to you. They just don`t have anything to say.

I come across as shy but I'm not shy. Like what visnofsky said, I mostly don't know what to say to people unless I'm spoken to first unless it's a really good friend. I often don't feel shy at all and enjoy people's company and like to go out places like parties and get togethers.

In my opinion, most Aspies/Auties are not really shy - they just don't know what to say...like me. What do you think?

I'm mostly like that on MSN with someone anonymous speaks to me, I would in a way put myself in a little panic state, it would only take me a while to get used to talking to a person, normally takes 5 minutes if you told me something that would get me dragged into the conversation so the next time, I would be the one starting topics. :H

I'm not shy, but I do come across that way.

I'm not good at making small talk, at relating to people. But I don't mind public speaking, heading up important meetings, singing in front of people. I'll dance with my baby daughter in public, or do a stupid dance if I score a strike in bowling, and I don't care what people think.

The difference between a shy NT and an aspie is that the NT often has the instincts to get along with people and just needs the self confidence. Whereas an aspie often has the self confidence but lacks the instincts.

One of my male friends looks friendly too but he's also 'awkward'. Yup, some Aspies can be awkward...

I have a friend who comments on everything I do as "awkward". I suppose I have a habit of being awkward.

New Threads

Top Bottom