• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do peoople ever treat you like you're stupid when they hear of your AS diagnosis?

Ana54

Yep, it's happened to me. Too embarrassing to write the details.

Other times, they treated me like I was a classic Aspie when I was not. It was insulting.

Lucky. Actually, I get even more of that now that my diagnosis has been changed to PDd-NOS. ****ing hell; I guess I just have to explain to them that that last D does not stand for disease, defect, delay or disability. It stands for disorder.

I don't have enough of the criteria to have AS, even tho I have a few of the criteria to the extreme.

What parts of the criteria don't you meet? Did you not have the symptoms enough to meet it?

TBH I should have been diagnosed with PDD-NOS too because I talked late but my mom says I do meet the criteria. But I guess my psychiatrist dropped the no speech delay part for me because of my hearing loss. I seemed to meet the HFA profile more but that was maybe due to my hearing loss.

As far as the thread goes, it's funny how those that you are already friends with 'advertise' your abnormalities. I've had words such as 'slow' used, but I've learned that if people hinge on those words than it's just not worth trying to be friends with them in the first place if they're gonna hang on to that vision. In a way, it kinda works.

Some people treat me like I'm stupid! That's both without knowing diagnosis & after. Some are even Aspies. I don't think most do it deliberately, though.

Here is all the stuff I DON'T have.

(2) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(3) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(4) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

C.The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

1.Severe impairment in reciprocal social interaction
(at least two of the following)
(a) inability to interact with peers
(B) lack of desire to interact with peers
(c) lack of appreciation of social cues

(c) more rote than meaning

4.Speech and language problems
(at least three of the following)
(a) delayed development
(B) superficially perfect expressive language
(c) formal, pedantic language
(d) odd prosody, peculiar voice characteristics
(e) impairment of comprehension including misinterpretations of literal/implied meanings

EVERYONE has impairment in comprehension and taking things in the wrong context. I see it with everyone every day, so don't tel me I don't understand these things!

6.Motor clumsiness: poor performance on neurodevelopmental examination (I was never even tested for motor crap... or even some of the other things... but the hotshot psychologist who's been in the papers and is supposedly an AS expert went ahead and diagnosed with me, saying "I can tell you have it just by looking at and talking to you."

Oh yes, I remember being treated like that... I hated that but that was like when I was like younger..... Well yesterday surprisingly enough, I was still treated exactly the same as I would of been, they didn't believe that I was autistic.... but in my reports ive been getting, I had Aspergers Syndrome which I believe I could of been diagnosed with or High-Functioning Autism... My mum only told me I just got autism.

I don't know what to believe and i'm still unsure about it.

Not really. They actually treat me as though I'm more intelligent. Then again, they usually notice the AS in me from the standard of my work.

No, they don't treat me like I'm stupid. If they know what it is, they don't seem to treat me much differently, if they don't know what it is, they ask and I explain and they tend to be nice to me. My friends just tell other people that I'm different. Like..the conversation would go, ''This is Willow, she's (pause) different *smile*.'' lol

You're lucky, I guess.

I was treated like the stereotypical Aspie by a resource teacher, a psychologist and a guidance counselor (who unfortunately was the one that took us to Europe).

Edit: Oh, and my mother, of course!

I was treated like **** by most people (including some family members) BEFORE my diagnosis. But when we found out I had AS everyone just...stopping being horrible. Go figure!

The number of times I've broken down in the middle of lessons out of frustration due to the constant patronising by a teacher...>_>.
I don't tell anyone I've got something up with me because most already have figured it out, and frankly, I don't see what buisiness it is of theirs. If they treat me like an idiot turning around and saying to them, 'oh yeah, just to let you know, I have a mental disorder :)' isn't going to change anything, it'll just allow them to justify their behaviour to them self more and make it worse. If the person doesn't treat me like an idiot and I'm good friends with them, and known them for a while I might tell them. Some people don't want to know though. They like to think their friend is normal.
I'm fine with that though. One guy politely indicated he didn't want to know(who I'd be friends with for around a year) by saying he didn't understand, found the subject boring and wanted to talk about something else. That was fine. I didn't bring it up.
The only person I told which went really bad was my ex(who was Autistic anyway but a total asshole) and he was a total prick about it after the break-up saying I was a retard/spaz/twat, the one with the problems. I just like to think what he's gonna do when he finds out he's just as, if not more, **** up as me when he stays stuff like that :).
TBH, not that many people know.
Don't plan on that changing really.
EMZ=]

LUCKY!!! Where do you come from? Where did you and your family members and those shrinks live?

At least the incompetent that diagnosed me with AS when I was 14 talked to me normal; and didn't try and adapt things that I didn't need adapted or anything like that. But it was horrifying; other things he did. I was naive letting them make me LEAVE THE ROOM when he questioned my mother as a witness. Why did I have to leave the room? She told lies about me, or things that were not true but she thought they were. I was not asked about most of it later when it was her turn to leave the room and he questioned me. I should have INSISTED on staying when he questioned her. I think I did but not enough. They kept trying to get me to leave. He didn't ask me if I TRUSTED her as a witness. I knew she was unreliable. I knew she did not understand and didn't listen to me when I tried to explain, or didn't believe me.

But also, I just hide the fact that I'm autistic and from where I live, most people wouldn't take it the right way... either you have to deal with all the pain and gain or hide it? If I was clever, I could prove them wrong... Which I do all the time.

How do you think they would take it? Like, "OMG so you're retarded?"
From where I live.... most people don't tend to accept it and sometimes just like to take the piss. :(
Not every place people would accept you for who you are... Anyone from the UK heard from a place in London called Bermondsey?
I went to school there, horrible experience. :(

New Threads

Top Bottom