• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do parents of autistic children get disability SSI?

cinlewis

I know a single mom who gets over $500/month social security disability because her 6 yr old daughter is autistic.

She's high functioning and I've spent a lot of time with her and the only impact I see from her autism is that she rides a special short schoolbus to the public school which involves no extra expense, and she tends to throw a tantrum when she doesnt get her way, until you make her understand she isn't the only person in the world. It's beyond me what that SSI money is needed for but she claims his special needs has made her sacrifice her career to spend more time with her daughter but I just don't see how. (except that she might require a more patient after school babysitter if her mom were working)

Do other parents of autistic children get SSI disability? And why is it needed?

I have no clue if they do but I would guess yes if she dose... And I say give her all the extra support she can get. After spending many years raising young kids as a single mom myself I can tell you It's not easy in any circumstances. Just finding affordable childcare and still haveing enough left to pay the bills was a huge issue for me. And in those cases you don't "get" to consider the quality of the childcare. You take who u can get and feed your kids and survive and all the time feeling terable for leaving them, never haveing enough quality time with them. Mom is overwhelmed and stressed becouse all the burdden is on her shoulders and she dosn't have anything left for her kids that just need her as a "mommy". I say be glad she has help and hope any burden it releives from her shoulders sifts down to a less stressfull and a more quality childhood for her chhild.

I'm a disability advocate and NOT a parent. But, I'm an aspie. Among other things, and in my 30's. Any way, yes- most US parents can get financial support via benefits for there special needs children. I strongly feel more should. If the child has a great enough need you can. Go here for more info. Direct from the source. http://http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10026.pdf

The government programs will also pay for in the US, other services too for parents. For example; if your an only parent or not but super overwhelmed from taking care of your disabled child. Running you thin making you seam like your neglecting your other kids. You can get through protection and advocacy assistance a social worker or someone to assist just your disabled child's needs so you can focus more on work, and other things too. And pay less attention to the needs of that 1 child. Your welcome!

I know a single mom who gets over $500/month social security disability because her 6 yr old daughter is autistic.

She's high functioning and I've spent a lot of time with her and the only impact I see from her autism is that she rides a special short schoolbus to the public school which involves no extra expense, and she tends to throw a tantrum when she doesnt get her way, until you make her understand she isn't the only person in the world. It's beyond me what that SSI money is needed for but she claims his special needs has made her sacrifice her career to spend more time with her daughter but I just don't see how. (except that she might require a more patient after school babysitter if her mom were working)

Children with autism may be eligible for SSI disability benefits if their family's income and assets aren't above the SSI limits. For more information, see our section on financial eligibility for SSI.

I get disability and both my children get it as an extension of me. So I get SSDI and they get SSI. I'd assume that the kid would get SSDI? I am not sure unless the money is going to the parent to care for the kid in which case it maybe be SSI. I have no idea.

I know someone with a child who has autism and I believe she gets money. She worked at the post office so based on that income she probably gets a lot or she couldn't afford a brand new Subaru or to completely redecorate her kids' rooms in Pottery Barn lol wish I could afford all that! But then again it's not to say she doesn't deserve it with the hand she's been dealt but like I said in assuming it's a lot.

In Australia you don't get anything at all.

Hi Sev. That's not necessarily true. I get Carer Payment and Carer Allowance for my son, and prior to being approved for that I received Carer Allowance (when on another benefit). I'm a single parent and I home educate my son based on his individual needs, and also qualify for something that assists isolated children to receive a quality education (approval for that one is based on medical necessity prohibiting attendance at a public school and/or being too far away from a public school ie. a remote area).

The OP here sounds like she was full of resentment and ableism. I see she hasn't returned or posted more since. Comments like that from folks make it a lot harder to raise a child who has challenges, especially as a single parent. I think 'how dare you' judge a person based on what your limited perceptions are of their situation. I feel sad for the parent that is being questioned, because single parenting is difficult and it sucks to be treated with such disdain in our society. Most single parents don't actually choose to do it alone, and most of us are mothers who don't get a choice to 'move on with life' when our romantic relationships don't work out, as we are the ones who commit to raising our children. :mad:;)

Hi Sev. That's not necessarily true. I get Carer Payment and Carer Allowance for my son, and prior to being approved for that I received Carer Allowance (when on another benefit). I'm a single parent and I home educate my son based on his individual needs, and also qualify for something that assists isolated children to receive a quality education (approval for that one is based on medical necessity prohibiting attendance at a public school and/or being too far away from a public school ie. a remote area).

The OP here sounds like she was full of resentment and ableism. I see she hasn't returned or posted more since. Comments like that from folks make it a lot harder to raise a child who has challenges, especially as a single parent. I think 'how dare you' judge a person based on what your limited perceptions are of their situation. I feel sad for the parent that is being questioned, because single parenting is difficult and it sucks to be treated with such disdain in our society. Most single parents don't actually choose to do it alone, and most of us are mothers who don't get a choice to 'move on with life' when our romantic relationships don't work out, as we are the ones who commit to raising our children. :mad:;)

What's OP ... "The OP here ..." ? Thanks!

OP = original poster, in this case cinlewis.
'ableism' according to google is 'discrimination in favour of able-bodied people.' I think she means the OP is coming from the perspective of someone who is 'able' (ie, no disability) or in this case an NT who hasn't walked in their shoes. An attitude of 'they're just using the system to rip the tax payer (me) off when there is nothing wrong or difficult for them (and I get nothing).'
(hehe, don't quote my posts too quick. I always edit :) )

Last edited:
OP = original poster, in this case cinlewis.
'ableism' I think refers to the OP coming from the perspective of someone who is 'able' (ie, no disability) or in this case an NT who hasn't walked in their shoes. An attitude of 'they're just using the system to rip the tax payer (me) off when there is nothing wrong or difficult for them (and I get nothing).'
Thank you. And very well put. :)

I don't know that this is something that you should be worrying about. If they get help, they get help, and there are processes in place in whichever department decides that stuff to work out who gets it. A lot of kids, mine included (I'm Autistic and so is my son) get the 'oh but you'd never know!' thing, when really no-one knows what's going on underneath or behind the scenes. Try not to judge, you may not know the fullness of the situation.

Thanks zurb! I was using ableism because the OP was speaking as though the child in question 'had no additional needs' based solely on her own perception of the child. We autistics get this all the time. If we appear to be 'functioning' like an NT then we are 'obviously not autistic' or 'obviously have no special needs or requirements' or are 'obviously not disabled'. It's really hard to live with this sort of thing.

If we try to accommodate the NT world to the point that we 'pass' as NT, then we're expected to maintain that level of 'functioning' so we don't make the NT world uncomfortable. If we request any additional supports, we are often told we don't need them because we could do x on this day, so why can't we do x everyday. It's very frustrating.

I left FB recently over just this thing. I was struggling to communicate (well I wasn't, but others seemed to be struggling with my communication) and I tried to explain myself and my communication. The response I got was upsetting. So I outed myself as autistic. The people in question told me that was 'a crock'. Because I'm obviously communicating on some level or another, therefore not autistic, just a terrible person. /sarcasm

(edited for typo)

Thanks zurb! I was using ableism because the OP was speaking as though the child in question 'had no additional needs' based solely on her own perception of the child. We autistics get this all the time. If we appear to be 'functioning' like an NT then we are 'obviously not autistic' or 'obviously have no special needs or requirements' or are 'obviously not disabled'. It's really hard to live with this sort of thing.

If we try to accommodate the NT world to the point that we 'pass' as NT, then we're expected to maintain that level of 'functioning' so we don't make the NT world uncomfortable. If we request any additional supports, we are often told we don't need them because we could do x on this day, so why can't we do x everyday. It's very frustrating.

I left FB recently over just this thing. I was struggling to communicate (well I wasn't, but others seemed to be struggling with my communication) and I tried to explain myself and my communication. The response I got was upsetting. So I outed myself as autistic. The people in question told me that was 'a crock'. Because I'm obviously communicating on some level or another, therefore not autistic, just a terrible person. /sarcasm

(edited for typo)
Ugh, I hear ya dude. I get people looking at me like I'm making sh*t up when I tell them I'm autistic. I will continue to out myself, if only to make things better for my kids when they have to navigate all this horrible shiz on their own.

Ugh, I hear ya dude. I get people looking at me like I'm making sh*t up when I tell them I'm autistic. I will continue to out myself, if only to make things better for my kids when they have to navigate all this horrible shiz on their own.

Me too. I'm already quite exhausted by it. It feels as though we have to lay ourselves wholly bare and vulnerable, and even then many don't understand or wish to remain willfully ignorant so they can continue to be ableist and degrading. Very frustrating. I will continue to be frustrated so my kid, and all the other autistic young people coming up, will have it better than I have. Keep hope alive! :lollipop:

Me too. I'm already quite exhausted by it. It feels as though we have to lay ourselves wholly bare and vulnerable, and even then many don't understand or wish to remain willfully ignorant so they can continue to be ableist and degrading. Very frustrating. I will continue to be frustrated so my kid, and all the other autistic young people coming up, will have it better than I have. Keep hope alive! :lollipop:
It tires me out too, saps my already strained energy. But hell, what's my discomfort compared to loads of kids dealing with the same 'suck it up and do what you're told' thing I had to deal with? Nothing at all. Loves to you dude, I feel as though we're on the same, very important, page :)

I am a single mom and I get SSI for my son. It is nearly impossible for me to have a job right now because my son has a lot of behaviors that other people can't deal with. I often have to drop everything I am doing and go get him from school because they don't know how to deal with him or how to calm him or get to the source of what is stressing him out or pissing him off.

To someone who doesn't understand that my son has autism they often think he is a spoiled child who has melt downs because things don't go his way. Actually it is because he is still learning how to deal with intense feelings that he doesn't know how to express any other way. He is getting better at using his words, however it is not easy for him especially when his world is constantly changing because his body and mind are developing, and he learns new things about the world around him that doesn't always make sense or that is highly stressful to him.

New Threads

Top Bottom