• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Difficulty articulating yourself when you're mad at someone?

. . .

V.I.P Member
I have very poor articulation when I'm mad at someone. I think this is because all I feel like doing when I'm mad at someone is bash their head the **** in. This makes me forget about what I'm trying to say to them.

In general, I tend to stumble upon my words a lot which likely is due to me saying a few words a day (sometimes none at all). But when I'm mad at a person, my articulation is absolutely horrible. Rather than yell at the offending person, I usually just walk away because my anger tends to cause my mind to shut down; I end up becoming confused and can't articulate myself. I hate this because I always feel the need to tell people off when they deserve it.

Anyone else like this?

yep, anytime someone gets rude or obnoxious, i am trying to respond however my voice becomes weak. it is like my body is doing flight response but my mind doesn't tune to that and is trying to stand my ground. major annoyance.

Yes, whenever there is an arguement and I try to respond I am just not able to do it. I fail at trying to get across what I want to say, so by the end of it I am so very tired due to the shut down emergency mode...

I also have difficulty when I am anxious.

Absolutely!!! I can normally articulate well...rehearse a lot, but when I'm mad, I am easily distracted and end up getting manipulated in an argument. Someone might make me mad, and I try to tell them so it is not a festering issue, but somehow it normally ends with them offending me further and having me apologize to them for some non-related issue.

I often find it better to say nothing at the moment...write down the situation and remarks, then relax a bit...later, I'll come back to my notes and write up a response (usually using a dictionary and thesaurus) that states exactly what I want my response to be...then I call someone I trust (who really knows me) and explain it to them and read them my response and ask them if it says what I want it to...if not, I ask for some help tweaking it, and then calmly present my argument to the original offending party. OR...I just break something and start screaming until my chest and throat hurt (usually into a pillow). It all depends on how much stress I am under and how much sleep I've gotten. Obviously the first scenario is more productive, but the second one feels better (more natural).

I can never tell a person off to their face right when an argument is happening. I can always think of what I should have said 15 minutes after the argument has passed! Since I know this about myself, I now wait after an argument, gather my thoughts, then come back at the person in a much more low key voice and a very serious manner. I find the more calm you are it takes the other person off guard and they know you mean what you say and take you more seriously. If I were to come at someone ranting and raving with my voice going up several levels, I'd be considered an out of control female. Keeping a lower tone of voice also helps to not let the argument escalate and get out of hand. I'm much better at written arguments than verbal.

I can never tell a person off to their face right when an argument is happening. I can always think of what I should have said 15 minutes after the argument has passed! Since I know this about myself, I now wait after an argument, gather my thoughts, then come back at the person in a much more low key voice and a very serious manner. I find the more calm you are it takes the other person off guard and they know you mean what you say and take you more seriously. If I were to come at someone ranting and raving with my voice going up several levels, I'd be considered an out of control female. Keeping a lower tone of voice also helps to not let the argument escalate and get out of hand. I'm much better at written arguments than verbal.
If I have to argue about something I find very important, I make a list of points I feel I have to cover. It is very important that I argue cogently and if I am furious I can easily become inarticulate. I may also cry and that is just horrible. For this reason I will not initiate the argument until I have had time to gather my thoughts.

YES and so frustrating and embarrassing and demoralising. The key sentence is not speaking aloud enough, which is my problem. So, trying to work on that aspect.

Oh heck, always an intense need to tell the person off and the couple of times I have, it has ended in me looking the idiot because I am not thinking of their response or imagine they will take on board and agree and so, figure it is pointless, which makes me not want human company........

New Threads

Top Bottom