• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

deleted

Awesome ^_^.
I wish I had such time-consuming obsessions tbh. Unless you say the computer is an obsession, but I think it's more an addiction, and I've been getting away from it a lot more recently.
EMZ=]

I'm currently obsessed with a phylum(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylum) but it's just research really. Only an hour or so a day :/.
Thanks. Me too.
EMZ=]

Interesting, I am a wikipedia addict too, so that will be another page consumed just for fun :rolleyes:

see ya.
Hehe, yes.
The specific phylum is the Platyhelminthes.
I read about them frequently but it's too esoteric for Wikipedia to have a lot of information. I often have to use other sources but they can be a bit too complex at times since my knowledge of biology in general is reasonably limited. But I've learned a lot more in general about biology from the obsession, despite thinking a creature so primitive and small would have little to do with humans and stuff(obviously the parasitic ones who can use humans as hosts do, but I mean outside of that).
EMZ=]

Well I don't know if one would say they're worms as such...
The cestoda class(a.k.a tapeworms) seem to be the only ones that justify its name. Maybe the trematoda class too...
But even then they're not your conventional annelidas... which are a phylum in their self.
But the platyhelminthes phylum is very vast...
And as you said primitive. They lack a respiratory system, a conventional digestive system(they do have a digestive system[well, some don't, like the Acoela genus[I think it's a genus], which consumes algae and they live inside it], but it's one way[no anus, just a pharyx] and there's no body cavity/are acoelmates), are triploblastic, are hermaphroditic, the nervous system is extremely primitive, for the most part it's just a nerve cord and then a concentrated cluster of nerves for a basic brain etc.
They're very unique though and I think they teach us a lot about evolution, and such.
They're not exactly good pets or w.e considering they're microscopic for the most part and 3 out of the 4 classes are obligate parasites... But one of them isn't a parasite on mammals except the hippopotamus(monogena) and afaik trematoda don't have human hosts a lot. I've not done much research into treamatoda though.
EMZ=]
EDIT; Just read the thing about my avatar.
I always like neon colours tbh. I have a few other pictures where I've made my face neon coloured.
I like the definition in it really. Hard to explain.
Is :rofl: good? :D.

Someone told me that a lot of animals evolved from Platyhelminthes, which would make sense because a lot of them are the first creatures to have a lot of things. For example, the schistosoma is probably one of the first creatures to be gonochoristic.
Some turbellarians also have very primitive excretory systems(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_Cells[I think that's the url]).
I'm no expert what so ever in Annelids, and no very little about them, but platyhelminthes and annelids are under the same super-phylum, Lophotrochoza, so assuming they're similar to platyhelminthes, they probably did play an important role in evolution.
I have an incomplete website on Platyhelminthes. It's complete for my ICT GCSE thing but I'm going to upload a more indepth version when I get around to transferring the files from my school's server to my laptop's HDD and then edit it. I'll send you it once it's finished it you want.
EMZ=]

New Threads

Top Bottom