• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Could he have Asperger's?

deana736

Ok here we go, my son will be 3 in May. He is hitting all of his milestones normally, but he doesn't like to play with kids his age or younger, when he does he has problems getting along with them. He is very sensitive to sunlight, doesnt even like it when I open the curtains, so they usually stay closed. He is very sensitive to sounds as well, doesn't like the vacuum, or any kids being loud. He will only eat certain foods, but would rather milk. He does not like change, like he wants nothing to do with potty training, or sleeping in his own bed, when we leave the apartment there are 2 sets of stairs and he only wants to go the one way and if i make him go down the other way he gets very upset. He gets very bad tantrums, doesn't like his hands dirty. The only people he really is close to is my husband, my mother and myself. He doesn't really like anyone else talking to him. Will not wear jeans at all only comfy pants, these are some of the things that I can think of right now. I just mentioned it to my mom today and she told me that her and my sister thought that of him but were afraid to say anything to me about it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you and forgot to say that he would rather play on his own then with anyone.

It sounds like a very good possibility. Are there resources in your area that deal with children like him? Have you mentioned this to your doctor?

It's certainly possible, but folks on an internet forum are not going to be able to tell you. Take him to a psychologist that specializes in Asperger's or autistic spectrum disorders. They would be the most qualified to make a diagnoses. And remember that when someone is three, any kind of psychological diagnosis is tough, so take what you receive with a grain of salt.

What you have described seems more appropriate to sensory integration disorder (SID), which can have an effect on his socialization as he might not like have other kids too near him (space issues) or finds them too loud, etc. As for the stairs, something might have happened on one set of steps that freaked him out, such as lighting too strong, or weird noises, or too loud, etc. I would look up ISD and see if it fits- this is purely problems with the sensory (body space/motion, textures, visuals, sounds, smells, etc.), but it can carry into social problems, severe temper tantrums, etc.

Does he have any repetitive behaviours, is a stickler for routines, speaks like a professor, is rigid/clumsy when he walks or does activities, etc. This is typical of most children on the spectrum, though there is usually a developmental delay, either in motor skills or language (whether there is a delay or difficulty with social/prgmatic language).

Like the other posters noted, if you are concerned, you should seek out a professional in your area for a diagnosis- a family doctor/pediatrician could certainly point you in the right direction.

N

New Threads

Top Bottom