• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Contamination OCD and canines

Fullmetal

I'm sorry if this doesn't fit here, but I see that many users have OCD. Does anyone have contamination OCD like me? I seem to be an unusual case, because my OCD pertains specifically to canines and their residue.

My mom has five dogs in the house, and their smell alone makes me extremely nauseous. Their existence is, to me, rage inducing. If one of them touches me, I have a meltdown and have to clean my body extensively with disinfectant.

I barely leave my room, and if I do, it's to leave the house.
I don't even use the home bathroom anymore, not even for the toilet. I have to hold it until I have the chance to use a public restroom. I shower at my sister's place, but she had a dog previously so I feel like her entire apartment is filthy. I can't traverse it without gloves, "clothing barriers", opening doors with my feet, and so on.

The point of posting here is to ask, has anyone experienced this? If so, what did you do? I currently see a psychologist but I don't want to be treated for my OCD, since I'm afraid that I will be forced to make contact with dogs as a part of the therapy.

From my perspective, this will all be okay once I move out and don't live with dogs. In my mind, a small apartment to myself would solve everything. Am I delusional for thinking that? At that point, will my OCD morph into something else? I've hated dogs since a young age but I did not fear their contact to this extent until recent years. Some family members are also "contaminated". Perhaps I fear contamination from things I hate??

Last edited:
I was diagnosed with OCD long ago. Though mine is manifested in different ways. I'm a "cleanoholic", but not what I'd call a "germaphobe". And I also have issues with security- locked doors, alarms, etc.. Repetitive rituals.

I never received any "therapy" as such to counter most of my issues. Just a lot of discussion to mentally downplay them. Difficult to anticipate what kind of therapy you may- or may not get if you seek treatment. A powerful sense of smell remains a sensory issue- not something that behavior modification alone may alter. Though just becoming comfortable in the presence of a dog might be a different matter. Hard to say.

I don't appreciate all the smells, but absolutely love dogs. More so than people in many cases. Though I'm more understanding of kids and how messy they can be at times. And like yourself I do have great difficulty spending much time in spaces that are less than immaculate. Though over the years I've learned not to be overtly critical of how others maintain their homes, etc..

I haven't had a pet now for nearly 12 years. Not so much of my OCD issues, but mostly over the inevitable pain of losing a pet. But being a renter instead of being an owner also plays into the equation with maintaining a very tidy and orderly space.

Rage inducing? Only one thing does that for me. Cigarette smoke. Produces a fight-or flight response. But I get what you're saying.

Last edited:
I also have contamination OCD, although not to do with dogs. I noticed you said that you didn't want treatment for fear you will be forced to interact with dogs, however, I would recommend CBT. I had it in group sessions over the course of 8 weeks last summer, and it was fantastic.

None of us were ever forced to do anything, and I personally found that it really helped me. Now, I'm not saying that I don't still have any issues, but they are absolutely nowhere near the level that they were before CBT.

I don't know where you live, so I couldn't tell you how to go about looking into it or what it may be like where you live, but I would wholeheartedly suggest at least looking into it.

Last edited:
I also have contamination OCD, although not to do with dogs. I noticed you said that you didn't want treatment for fear you will be forced to interact with dogs, however, I would recommend CBT. I had it in group sessions over the course of 8 weeks last summer, and it was fantastic.

None of us were ever forced to do anything, and I personally found that it really helped me. Now, I'm not saying that I don't still have any issues, but they are absolutely nowhere near the level that they were before CBT.

I don't know where you live, so I couldn't tell you how to go about looking into it or what it may be like where you live, but I would wholeheartedly suggest at least looking into it.

Interesting. Did you feel any sense of relief regarding your own sensory issues? Particularly your olfactory senses? Just wondering. I can see CBT working with exposure to animals, but intrusive smells seems like an uphill battle.

Interesting. Did you feel any sense of relief regarding your own sensory issues? Particularly your olfactory senses? Just wondering. I can see CBT working with exposure to animals, but intrusive smells seems like an uphill battle.

No, not at all. It basically helped me break the cycle of OCD, in that it's self affirming. You have an obsession, you must carry out the compulsion, and the obsession abates. Until it comes back again and the cycle begins again. It helped greatly with the understanding of exactly what OCD is, and how it functions and ways in which you can not only cope with it, but also strategies to break the cycle. Mindfulness was a big thing that the nurses running the group recommended to us all, which was a massive help to me too. I had a booklet as part of the group, but I don't own a scanner I'm afraid.

I attended an IOP program to develop coping skills for depression, and that soaked up our insurance for a while.
Plus, my family barely tolerates my behaviors, and some days I'm berated for every move I make. Asking for anything is a huge risk, especially mental health related stuff.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though. It's something to research for the future.

Last edited:
I attended an IOP program to develop coping skills for depression, and that soaked up our insurance for a while.
Plus, my family barely tolerates my behaviors, and some days I'm berated for every move I make. Asking for anything is a huge risk, especially mental health related stuff.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though. It's something to research for the future.

I feel for you. I don't have contamination issues, per se, but severe sensory issues. 5 dogs? I would be on the street fast.

I can't offer help because with the sensory issues, I can't get any help. Would a respirator help? A very large air purifier in your room? Make your room your safe place!! Surround yourself with things that make you happy and relaxed.

Thanks. My room has been my only safe zone for many years. I've kept it as clean and relaxing as possible. Don't think I can fit a respirator, though. It's a small room, with a large keyboard, fridge and TV dominating the space.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom