• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Compulsively exciteable

Keith

I feel I am compulsively exciteable. I feel I have to tell somebody something I just learned or heard about. This can occasionally annoy people, I've noticed.

I have a tendency to do this. A discovery doesn't quite feel "real" until I've shared it with someone...but inevitably, they don't have the reaction I expected, so then it actually feels even less real. I'm learning to keep my discoveries to myself by constantly reminding myself that sharing them will not provide nearly the satisfaction I imagine it would.

If it's something I've been obsessively studying, then absolutely. Once, I got so excited over personality theory that I wanted to tell everyone everything I'd learned immediately and preferably for the rest of the night. However, they did not share my enthusiasm and I was quickly snuffed out. So at that point I return to my room and continue talking to myself, and pacing.

This is a big problem for me also, although mostly no one is around for me to tell except one friend. But I just cannot contain my enthusiasm for some new fact I just learned within my interest areas, or some idea that came to mind, when I'm relaxed with people. Even when it really does not mesh with the flow of conversation. Before I found out about AS, I thought I was just "sharing" like other people do. Now I see there is a big difference in how I do it, and usually not something the other person is so happy to hear about as I am. Happily, I like talking to myself a lot, so there is always someone who likes hearing about whatever it is. And, I'm trying to be more conscious about pacing myself in conversations.

New Threads

Top Bottom