• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

coming across as child-like, naive, too honest, etc.

selena

My problem isn't that my face looks too young for my age (I'm 35, for the record), it's that there's something I do that gives off the impression that I'm one of the above. It's not a problem in itself, per se, because a lot of people do seem to like me regardless, but it does bother me that I'm not taken seriously as a professional at work and have consistently been referred to as "the kid" in every circle I'm a part of even though I'm definitely NOT the youngest, biologically.

Anyone here who's a little older who's managed to have gotten this hurdle?

I usually get this kind of treatment, but two happy coincidences happened that prevented that at my current workplace:

1) I hurt my back shortly after starting my employment (unrelated to the workplace). For a while, I walked with a cane and walked slowly, and now I walk with a limp.

2) I also had a birthday shortly thereafter. In that way, people were made aware that I was 28, not 18, without me having to point out my age which would've been counter-productive for the purposes of not being treated like a kid.

Those two together earned me the reputation of being "old", those two factors plus the fact that half the engineering staff is younger than me.

Not sure what to say about avoiding becoming the perpetual "kid" in general; that's usually my lot.

Me too... I'm always thinking basically like a big kid. I drive a Jeep, and I'm now on my third Dodge Challenger thats loud and shakes the ground if I want it too. I'm the guy who will randomly kick my shoes, yank my shirt off, and do a back flip off into the swimming pool, or off in the lake, and not think twice about it. Yet put me around a bunch of people and I withdraw and basically have nothing to say.

I think young, act young, still look very young... People freak out when they find out how old I am, some don't even believe me, unless I prove it.

I have had times when people deeply question my decisions, and or my ability, but over time I have made mistakes, and also proven myself worthy to the point I'm not questioned near as much as I used to be.

At times its not so much fun, but for the most part I feel blessed that I can think and still be young and its because I truly feel that way... So I don't see it as such a bad thing really.

46 and still perceived as an odd little girl. It's getting better though, at least now most of the time they see an odd little 30 year old girl. When I was in my 20's they thought I was actually 12-15.

Me too... I'm always thinking basically like a big kid. I drive a Jeep, and I'm now on my third Dodge Challenger thats loud and shakes the ground if I want it too. I'm the guy who will randomly kick my shoes, yank my shirt off, and do a back flip off into the swimming pool, or off in the lake, and not think twice about it. Yet put me around a bunch of people and I withdraw and basically have nothing to say.

I think young, act young, still look very young... People freak out when they find out how old I am, some don't even believe me, unless I prove it.

I have had times when people deeply question my decisions, and or my ability, but over time I have made mistakes, and also proven myself worthy to the point I'm not questioned near as much as I used to be.

At times its not so much fun, but for the most part I feel blessed that I can think and still be young and its because I truly feel that way... So I don't see it as such a bad thing really.

What is wrong with driving a Jeep? I am 72 and I drive a Jeep. I drive it to the nastiest places that I can find. It seems perfectly normal to me.

Yes, I'm 47 but people often think that I'm a lot younger. Because of my communication issues, people sometimes talk down to me, or want to over-simplify things. Or, because I'm living in a foreign country, they assume it's because I don't know the language well.

I am 48 ( horribly sadly) and I saw an unwittingly picture of me not so long ago. I just happened to be behind a couple of people having their photo taken and I had to do a double take, because I looked in my early 20's! Just to confirm, I got my husband to look and he said that despite his jokes, I do look young for my age and yes, that is great, as you say: per se. But the snag is, that my behaviour tends to be childish when excited. I do try to stem the excitement, but I just can't help it.

Yesterday, due to medication that I am taking, from reeling back in horror and the thought of a bbq with tons of people, made me feel physically sick and all I could picture is the sheer nightmare; but after starting on my medication, I actually began to have a sort of fog of negativity lift and realised I could actually go and be alright and with a few promises, I had a lovely time and I believe also, it is because they KNOW that I have aspergers and social phobia and find too many people difficult and thus, no jokes at my expense. However, I do get a sense of being treated as though of no consequence. If I say something worthy of saying, there is this feeling that my word is discounted, but someone else says the same and it is noted!

Yet, if they KNEW me properly, they would see that I do "grown up" things like being very good at managing our fiances.

So, yes, it is pretty frustrating, as well as wonderful to not look "old" yet.

What is wrong with driving a Jeep? I am 72 and I drive a Jeep. I drive it to the nastiest places that I can find. It seems perfectly normal to me.

Nothing is wrong with them : ) ... I love Jeeps and have had quite a few of them... I rolled the crap out of one of mine in an ice storm. I was meeting a truck that was sliding over into my lane. I took the bar ditch and a culvert or a head on with an 18 wheeler. It was in 2006 and the Jeep was a 2006. It had a really short life. I and think the roll cage saved my life and I probably would have died if I was in anything else.
A comment was made that I always drive kids cars... I guess I do... But I drive what fits my lifestyle.

I want an old Scrambler (with new v8 conversion) so bad I can taste it. This is on my build list as soon as I get some time... Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 10.43.51 PM.png

I feel I do come across as much younger than I am for my looks and some behaviour. I look younger than my age and the gap is just getting wider the older I get as I don't start to look any older. It's really starting to bother me and now it's got to the point where I don't usually tell people how old I am if they ask, because their reaction is always so extreme and embarrassing that they didn't think I was that old!
I also probably behave younger in some ways. I'm quite naive and come across innocent and can laugh at more immature things and sometimes need/ask for help with basic things. I also sometimes need to be 'kept right' in some environments. I think my behaviour is getting more age appropriate as I get older though.

Only in some areas. (Clueless, bewildered, lost)
Haven’t quite narrowed down all of them.

I’m 48, look 58,
when responsible for others care or safeguarding I can be the most mature person you may meet,

At one workplace I was nicknamed ‘Gran’
(Grandma/ Gramms)
I was only 23 at the time...
...I wasn’t, I’m joking.

They said It was because I wanted to look after everyone and spoke “old fashioned”
It probably had more to do with grey hair, stoop, bit of an odd walk-and not understanding the slang or colloquial terms, in addition to wanting to make sure everyone was okay... but they were kind about it.

My own bank account is a train wreck.
Family finances are spot on.
Husband pays bills, I’d forget.
Some instances I’m very adulty.
Others I’m useless.

New Threads

Top Bottom