• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clumbsy till it hurts...

Rhiannon

Hey guys!
I was just wondering if anyone else finds they fall a lot! I know its a common symptom of Aspergers but i seem to be constantly slipping and falling. I was wondering if anyone else found they fall with a frequency that is disconcerting?

i slip and fall more often than not. Mostly because i fail to pay attention to where i am going and end up falling on the account of something i didnt see. it has gotten worse as i have gotten older, but i am sure there is a cap on it. People do laugh at me at times when i fall because sometimes i am funny when it happens. but falling for me happens somewhat often. i just live with it.

Oh my! YES. My husband is always saying to me that I am the only one he knows that can find a hole or dip in the grass area that had not been there previously! It happens so much so, that my body is really stiff when I walk, because I am scared of my own walking that I will slip or trip!

Even wearing my favourite boots that are really easy to walk in, I end up tripping, because I suppose I do not lift up my feet enough. Worse when I do not pay attention.

I hate walking actually.

Physical clumsiness. Yes, a common Aspie trait. One I thought that I didn't have...that nearly steered me away from any thoughts that I was on the spectrum. Until I read further, that a particular aspect of this included "stilted walking". Interesting, I thought. I was shocked to realize that I did a great deal of stilted walking as a kid. Something I was mercilessly teased about.

I tried pretty hard to come to another conclusion- any conclusion that I wasn't autistic. This was the last "wall" to come down, and I began to accept the notion that I was in fact on the spectrum of autism. Other than not considering myself especially "clumsy", I could have been a poster child of autism for all the traits and behaviors I had which were in fact all indicative of ASD.

But then I began to be able to answer so many of those questions like "Why do I do this or behave in such a way?" And quickly came to realize that "this is good to have answers to such mystifying things!" :)

I cannot even recall how many staircases I would have fallen down as a child! If my mum ever heard me coming up the stairs, she would always be sure to listen for when I came tumbling back down. Nowadays I just have to take extra care in making sure that it is the path that I'm walking on when I'm outside, and not the road. I usually found that it helps when I focus less on my moving feet and more on the direction in which I am heading, that way my body can start to align with the direction of my head.

I'm glad to see its not just me! I fall way to often for my comfort, I'll just heal up my bruises from one fall and then I take another. I also have a knee injury and I was worried that my extra clumsiness was related to my injury. It just seems really excessive how often I seem to fall and hurt myself. Stairs and hills are my worst enemy with how often I end up bruised and battered from attempting to walk up and down them.

New Threads

Top Bottom