• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Choosing dialogue options

Mythos

Anyone else have difficulty picking between different dialogue options?
Especially when you're on a timer?

For example, in TellTale games like The Wolf Among Us, The Wolking Dead, etc.

The-Wolf-Among-Us-Episode-4-03.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I often find that my lines of choice end up different than I had assumed. Not different by much, but enough to annoy.
It's so hard to tell what the dialogue truly means - and if it will upset, patronize, or belittle the character you're conversing with.

I can't tell if this is caused by the vague nature of the options, or if it's just a common struggle for autistics.

Other times, I barely manage to pick an option before the timer runs out.

You're not alone in this. I hate the timed dialogue choices almost as much as I hate being put on the spot in real life. I need time to think about the implications and possible outcome of my actions.

I love telltale games though.

Yes, I often end up picking the wrong dialogue options just like in real life. Oh well, lol.

Telltale games are fun though. The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us were awesome. I also liked Tales from the Borderlands.

I know what you mean about how hard it is to know what the dialogue truly means.

Back in like '06 I played this flash game called "The Negotiator" or something like that, made by a professional negotiator, where you pick through a series of dialogue options to navigate through a delicate and difficult social situation, like asking your boss for a raise you desperately need even though you've been underperforming.

Incredibly hard game. There were like 30 rounds of dialogue for each scenario, and if you picked the wrong one (which was not obvious) it ended and you'd get a half-page explanation as to why it was the wrong choice - you offended them by/you appeared weak because/while true, it doesn't really matter because/saying that will win you no favors because/that doesn't take into account this/ and so much more like that.

That game helped me out a lot. The time-sensitive responses, the no-right-path nature, the multiple outcomes, it all helped me learn the delicate dance of navigating through the verbal minefield of social interaction. Maybe I should dig this game out of the dungeons of the internet; quality social training in a laboratory environment with no need for or fear of a traumatic experience being the price of failure - could make a good teaching tool.

Yes, I often end up picking the wrong dialogue options just like in real life. Oh well, lol.

Telltale games are fun though. The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us were awesome. I also liked Tales from the Borderlands.
Tales from the Borderlands is great! I loved The Walking Dead too. Both games made me cry, which is incredibly rare. Although Tales mostly made me laugh out loud.

I think if I actually thought about choices like that in games, then yes I would have a problem with it. However, I tend to not think about it that much because for me personally, it's just a game. Sometimes if there's timed choices for dialogue in a game, I'll be a total d**k and choose the bad one just because I can :p

New Threads

Top Bottom