• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ambi

A few more friendly questions for those who believe in God :)

But first...

a) You do not have to name the religions involved - that is up to you.

b) Please be respectful and avoid attacking other religions. I'm not asking anyone to be politically correct, rather, please just explain how things affected you, i.e. what your personal experience was that led or did not lead to changes in religion, rather presenting generalized statements about other religions as "facts". I definitely don't want this thread to be inflammatory or make others feel that they have to defend their religions from statements made by others. I hope you all understand what I mean, thank you :)

1. Have you ever changed religions? Why/why not?
  2. Would you ever change religions? Why/why not?

Last edited:
  1. I suppose I have. I have rejected beliefs that I inherited and have experienced truths for myself. That changes your mind.
  2. Never say never. If you are a seeker after truth you must at least be open to the possibility that what you believe could be wrong.

Yes I changed within the last several years. My ethical framework was out of sync with the group and my sense of how to discern truth was out of sync. These were systemic enough issues that we were no longer welcome at the old church and the leaders were finding rumors as excuses to subject us to ecclesiastical discipline. It was more spiritually fulfilling to find a new church where I could be part of the community again instead of a defacto outcast who didn't beleive in the institution anymore.

No, different denomination. I'd rather not say which to avoid possibly making anyone uncomfortable.

I have changed religions twice, though I have explored even more than that. Religions have been my special interest :) When I explored, it was for fun and to appreciate different religions. When I changed, it was because I truly believed in what I was converting to, and that it mattered for me to be in that faith. In retrospect, I really see the changes as steps of natural progression on my journey so I was grateful for them.

Having changed in the past, when I changed the second time, some people said it was just a phase, they may have thought I was too flakey to stay any one thing. But I am in my true rock solid home now and have been for a long time. If something were to shatter that rock of belief and experience, then I'd go back to spiritual wandering, I don't think I'd be any particular religion. But I don't see that happening because I'd have to deny so much of my own experience.

I'm a monotheist and have always been been one, so no. I deeply believe in a God and talk to Him often, especially when I'm going through hard times. To me God is an infinite, supreme being, whose existence is beyond our scope of understanding or reasoning. The wheres, hows, and whats don't matter. He is not just some 'big man in the sky'. I have faith, and it's an inner thing. I don't concern myself with scriptures and rituals much...I just stick to clean living and maintaining my morals. I am fascinated with the study of spirituality and religions in general though, and have visited many places of worship out of curiosity. I see extreme beauty and peace in each of them but I also see discrepancies and faults when I dig too deeply into the details.
I don't see myself changing my belief, as my belief is simple enough...there is a God and He cares + you get what you give to the world, so be a good person, live clean, keep your conscience clear, be charitable to the needy and suffering. I refuse to make it more complicated than that.

Last edited:
I once was a Catholic up until I knew priest had molested children and I can no longer follow the faith. I had considered protestant Christian faiths, it's all the same as other faiths bending their knees to the same God and the same book.

I had read the book of Revelations 20:3, it tells me the priest was allowed to commit acts of sexual sins he was allowed by the pope to get away with molesting kids despite that the verse forbids lies. Good riddance for him that he was taken to justice and put away in jail for his sex crimes, after that I can never follow the bible again. In the end I wanted a new belief, did research on Polytheist Gods and Goddesses from Pre-Christain Europe and I bent my knees to what Christians describe as "False Gods".

I am now Pagan, I am interested in the Ancient Celtic spiritual past and I had reconstructed the old Druid belief my own way. I will not take part in religion ever again, praying to the pre-Christian Gods is almost like Hinduism to me, except I am praying to European Gods. Most Christians I am aware of believe that it's the gate way to Satan, however I take take Satan for a fool and he is out of my mind.

I will consider myself as a spiritual person, never a religious person. I enjoy life better bending my knees towards fauns, leprechauns, giants and fairies instead of the Gospel and the church.

It's always good to find your own path instead of just blindly following what you've been raised in.

Yes. I was raised Catholic but as soon as I was out on my own I investigated several different religions before finding the one I've claimed for the past 15 years.

I'm going to follow what I think most accurately reflects the truth. Everyone else will have to find their own way - we are all different and all the same, regardless of religion or lack thereof.

I was raised Catholic, abandoned it in high school, studied all religions, dated two Satanists, had several Pagan friends, and grew up to find my strong spirituality in a combo of Sik, Buddhist, and Native American Naturism.

I found my own way, and do not believe in devine deities. Though, I still am quite interested in learning about religions, as they seem to overpower many people into not feeling responsible for their own problems,p and solutions, and above all, religions have caused more suffering and wars through out the history of mankind then anything else.

I was raised Catholic, abandoned it in high school, studied all religions, dated two Satanists, had several Pagan friends, and grew up to find my strong spirituality in a combo of Sik, Buddhist, and Native American Naturism.

I found my own way, and do not believe in devine deities. Though, I still am quite interested in learning about religions, as they seem to overpower many people into not feeling responsible for their own problems,p and solutions, and above all, religions have caused more suffering and wars through out the history of mankind then anything else.

I do not class Paganism as a religion, it's more of Old European spirituality through folklore, mythology and Nature.

I'd like something of a religion but can't manage to find anything that sounds reasonable to me. I hear a believe in something is calming, good for anxiety. That part would be lovely.

New Threads

Top Bottom