• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

career options?

lsd_

Hey everyone, first of all I'm currently in the process of pursuing a career in medical assisting yet I am questioning whether this was a good choice. I feel like I won't make it to extern because I do get social anxiety. So the question is.. what's the probability of being the only aspie in the workplace setting?

I'd think most occupations in the medical services industry inherently involve direct contact with the public. If you already acknowledge such social anxiety, you will simply have to deal with it the best you can under what are likely to be daily exposure. If you enjoy your work, you might find that a factor which mitigates such anxiety to some degree. If not, you'll have to ask yourself if you are training to work in a bomb disposal unit, where each day there's a potential of something setting YOU off.

I worked for many years in the insurance industry. Ran into maybe three people that I can think of who were likely on the spectrum at the time between the 80s and 90s. On a technical level I excelled at the job. However the social requirements of the job left me exhausted much of the time, and as the job evolved, so did those social (marketing) responsibilities. Eventually after nearly two decades I quit. Couldn't deal with the social stresses, not to mention the corporation was setting itself up to be sold. Huge changes coming and I didn't want to be around for them. (Wise decision on my part!)

After that I took time off to get vocational training and got certified as a web designer. Total change of career. Wasn't easy to find work though (no surprise- I'm terrible at job interviews). I ended up finding work at a major software entertainment firm in Silicon Valley, where I kid you not. Probably between a third and half of everyone I encountered (below management level) were on the spectrum! Completely different working environment. I loved it. Sadly the job ended as the software part of the comapny was sold off. Now I work for myself. Almost no socialization concerns or stresses at all.

Basically I think the odds of running into other Aspies are likely dependent upon the industry you choose to work in. In your case, I'd think the odds are poor. Unless of course you run into other people who like myself at the time, had no idea they were on the spectrum of autism. However you have something I never had in such a situation. The foresight in being self-aware of being on the spectrum of autism. That's a pretty powerful thing to have in controlling your own destiny. Use it to optimize whatever decision you make.

One thing for sure though, here you're likely to find many Aspies who DO work with the public, for better or worse. Use them as a valuable resource and get their take on things. Maybe others can chime in right here! Hint-hint...;)

Last edited:
In the US, at 2% of the population nationally, you are quite likely to be the only aspie in any given department, I believe. You are less likely to be the only aspie if you migrate to finance, accounting, IT-programming, or mechanic (although if you are a woman, you may have different problems there).

I fell into an aspie-friendly technology career early, gradually progressed (accidentally) through aspie-heavy workplaces, and now find myself isolated where Being Friendly is all of the job no matter what the job is. Unless you can generate patentable ideas on a schedule. Which I can't, although I do hold copyrights.

Knowing what I know now, I might have chosen to certify as a forensic technician, a lab tech, or a programmer: I learned all the wrong things about my strengths except for the one true thing. The one true thing was the answer to this question:

"What skill do you have that you can't wait to do, that you seek out to do, and that at work, you excel at doing?"

That, plus the self-awareness Judge talked about, is a better compass than any other I've tried. If you're already on-track for medical assisting, is there anything about school itself that bothers you?

If not, I'd recommend finishing anyway, because the background may very well be applicable to jobs that require an education and vocabulary.

If so, how would you answer the question I posed? (I'll get to the social anxiety piece if you see this post & reply.)

I'm currently a podiatry student so have to interact with patients in a medical setting all the time. You never know what to expect when someone comes into the consultation room however I've learned to adapt and think on the spot. I can see many Aspie's finding such a situation uncomfortable however there is no harm in trying it and seeing how you go.

I believe you would be better than most at it. Our attributes fit well in the medical field and if it is something you are interested in Go For It!This is based on my past experience in the field.

Hey everyone, first of all I'm currently in the process of pursuing a career in medical assisting yet I am questioning whether this was a good choice. I feel like I won't make it to extern because I do get social anxiety. So the question is.. what's the probability of being the only aspie in the workplace setting?

I'd think most occupations in the medical services industry inherently involve direct contact with the public. If you already acknowledge such social anxiety, you will simply have to deal with it the best you can under what are likely to be daily exposure. If you enjoy your work, you might find that a factor which mitigates such anxiety to some degree. If not, you'll have to ask yourself if you are training to work in a bomb disposal unit, where each day there's a potential of something setting YOU off.

I worked for many years in the insurance industry. Ran into maybe three people that I can think of who were likely on the spectrum at the time between the 80s and 90s. On a technical level I excelled at the job. However the social requirements of the job left me exhausted much of the time, and as the job evolved, so did those social (marketing) responsibilities. Eventually after nearly two decades I quit. Couldn't deal with the social stresses, not to mention the corporation was setting itself up to be sold. Huge changes coming and I didn't want to be around for them. (Wise decision on my part!)

After that I took time off to get vocational training and got certified as a web designer. Total change of career. Wasn't easy to find work though (no surprise- I'm terrible at job interviews). I ended up finding work at a major software entertainment firm in Silicon Valley, where I kid you not. Probably between a third and half of everyone I encountered (below management level) were on the spectrum! Completely different working environment. I loved it. Sadly the job ended as the software part of the comapny was sold off. Now I work for myself. Almost no socialization concerns or stresses at all.

Basically I think the odds of running into other Aspies are likely dependent upon the industry you choose to work in. In your case, I'd think the odds are poor. Unless of course you run into other people who like myself at the time, had no idea they were on the spectrum of autism. However you have something I never had in such a situation. The foresight in being self-aware of being on the spectrum of autism. That's a pretty powerful thing to have in controlling your own destiny. Use it to optimize whatever decision you make.

One thing for sure though, here you're likely to find many Aspies who DO work with the public, for better or worse. Use them as a valuable resource and get their take on things. Maybe others can chime in right here! Hint-hint...;)

You are correct sir, honest self awareness is the key for any aspiration.
I did both respiratory home health care and a respiratory per diem staffing service in S. Fla., I would say this about medical fields in general, good pay extremely high stress and no latitude for even small errors.
I sold the biz and started cutting stone and gems , making jewelry. Requires focus and liking to work alone and creating things. I went through art galleries to move the goods, or had front people to deal with the public. It worked for me!

I just started school for Medical Lab Science and I think its a great fit for me and probably many other Aspies. I like science and helping people. Its health care but not direct patient care, its more behind the scenes. Check it out :)

You are correct sir, honest self awareness is the key for any aspiration.
I did both respiratory home health care and a respiratory per diem staffing service in S. Fla., I would say this about medical fields in general, good pay extremely high stress and no latitude for even small errors.
I sold the biz and started cutting stone and gems , making jewelry. Requires focus and liking to work alone and creating things. I went through art galleries to move the goods, or had front people to deal with the public. It worked for me!

Judge, my general work history is similar to yours. The details are different but the trend is more or less the same.
In the end, I chose to make my interests, my career.

I think it is nerve wracking for us to try to work with people that see us as damaged, socially awkward, and generally a poor fit in their clown car-err.

New Threads

Top Bottom