• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Career and Jobs

Yes, I absolutly love my career :D for now at least. Once it starts to get even colder then I'll have some problems, considering I work outdoors.

Well there's not much to say about working in the grocery business other than it pays just enough. Because of my disinterest in pursuing higher education of any sort from an earlier age and creating a foundation for myself, though, I'm short on options and probably will be shorter come the day I quit or get fired.

I'd love to pursue a better career and/or go back to school, don't get me wrong here, but I really don't feel like jotting down the list of problems that come to mind given my current situation.

Well there's not much to say about working in the grocery business other than it pays just enough. Because of my disinterest in pursuing higher education of any sort from an earlier age and creating a foundation for myself, though, I'm short on options and probably will be shorter come the day I quit or get fired.

I'd love to pursue a better career and/or go back to school, don't get me wrong here, but I really don't feel like jotting down the list of problems that come to mind given my current situation.

I totally understand your situation about college. After I was arrested last year I began working construction just as a way to pay for my court fines. But then I realized how unbelievably enjoyable it is.

Have you considered construction? It's perfect for your situation because you don't need a college degree at all to get started. Entry level positions usually offer about $10 an hour. If your good at what you do then it's easy to climb up to managerial ladder and start making more, even without a college degree. I'm going Ato college for a degree in construction management but that's because I was already offered a job as a foreman making $100,000 as soon/if I graduate. College degree or not, it's a wonderful career choice. Excellent pay and fun work.

A lot of people think that construction workers are low-level blue collar work horses. We ARE blue collar work horses haha but it pays much much much more then people realize. And a bonus is girls love a guy wearing a toolbelt :D

That's the only career I'm actually knowledgeable about. I'm sure there are similar situations in other fields where college isn't necessary for success. Best of luck to you!

Meanwhile, I am looking for opportunities in the commerce/business/finance sector, and I am working on it.

I had a great job/career as a writer/editor, which fit in very well with my obsessions. But I had to quit this for my PDD son so I could better help him and this lead to me opening a daycare for special needs and neuro-typical children, which of course led to a new obsession (i.e., knowing everything about children's special needs such as language delays, PDD, fine motor difficulties, sensory integration disorder, eating disorders, etc.). But I always read voraciously and wrote on a part-time basis. So I got the best of both worlds. This is also what led me to my own diagnosis of Asperger's.

I have had to close the daycare because I am presently pregnant and am not immune to certain childhood diseases, and then will be on maternity leave, so not sure what I'll do after this. I've actually been thinking of going back to University to complete my PHD. I guess we'll see.

N

I was also contemplating a career in academia - but in the business world, PhD counts for nuts.

Maybe I can consider just teaching after a few years in private sector? Who knows?

I don't want the PHD because of the piece of paper- though it would be wonderful to teach at a high university level. I want the PHD for the experience. I LOVED doing my Masters- absolutely LOVED it. I could totally lose myself in my work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week- it was heaven. And I didn't have to worry all that much what I said to peers and teachers, because they loved talking about literature as much as I did.

I taught when I was younger- 24 years old- just out of university and very little work experience- plus, I had no clue at that point why I was different/had difficult socializing with people. I taught at the College level and you get a lot of the "know it all" teenagers just out of high school- plus I was very young and a woman- so I had a very hard time dealing with the students (really had no clue). And my organizational skills back then were horrible. So I lasted a year and then just couldn't keep going- was very upsetting since I love teaching. So I subbed for a bit and tutored- but wasn't the same thing. I also had a class in university- but it's tough to get university-level classes when all you've got is a Masters.

But now that I'm older, very organized (a close friend helped me a LOT here), and have a better sense of my weaknesses/strengths, I think I might be ok. I LOVE teaching- you get to do speand hours researching what you love best and then you get to talk on and on about it! It really is Aspie heaven.

N

I am now studying business in college.

Quite impossible (though not totally out of the way) to pursue full-time studies somewhere in the next twenty years.

To me, business sounds a little bit dull. But even I can admit that theres a huge potential for money in the future for you

Contrary to popular belief, business is not a field where we exploit riches, unless you happen to be part of the government that has the opportunities to exploit riches in the world. (At least, this is the case in Singapore, not sure for the US)

Business has the term 'normal returns'. Everyone earns roughly the same unless there is someone who consistently beats the market, due to them having insider information - under the efficient market hypothesis. The hypothesis seems to work most of the time, assuming normal trading rules, but we all know those rules can be broken.

New Threads

Top Bottom