• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can anyone do crowds or the great outdoors?

Good news... I'm invited to a friends birthday party on Saturday.

Bad news... There will most likely be some people that I don't know and everyone will be drinking except me and my bro.

I can't stand crowds. People brushing up against you. Talking in what seems to be another language. Laughing and I don't know why. All the complicated tones of voice and facial expressions. The noise. Agh it really triggers a lot of sensory issues.

And clubs are even worse. I'll be really awkward but to be honest once the alcohol starts flowing I really get into my element. It calms all my anxieties. But it also makes me think more about what a saddo, idiotic prick I am and I get majorly depressed.

Bleugh. I can't do people. People + Me = Overload!

Hmm. I don't like parties or gatherings. I usually just sit in the corner and wait for it to be all over. As Michael H said, there's way too many sensory issues in a situation like that. I can kind of cope if I'm with someone all night, but it has to be someone I know well and they have to be there all the time! Which, generally no one wants to do because they'd rather be enjoying the party!

The great outdoors to me, means on the golf course :) If I go out, to town, which is rarely. I like to stay away from clubs and lively bars. Cause they tend to play hideous music. The main issue is dancing. I can't dance to music I hate. Put a bit of MJ on and i'll be moonwalking to the bar :p

not really able to be in crowds

if i have to then i need to stim a lot to control my self

going to wal mart takes a long time since i have too much sensory stuff from the crowd and other things about the store so what takes my dad 30 minutes to buy will take me 2 hours

i can be out away from all people and i do like to camp but do not do that much to stay home with my 2 rabbits

i like to hold them as much as i can and do not like to be away from them for more than a few hours

I love the outdoors. As long as I can be alone or only with my wife, I am very happy. We go camping with our horses quite often. As for large groups. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS. Remember, there is no accounting for the power of idiocy in large groups. I do find, though, that I can handle large groups of people, if I have a purpose for being there. Avoid small talk, avoid the social aspects, and focus on the project at hand.

Crowds are okay sometimes, but they wear me down fast.

I can be very relaxed in the big blue room as long as the temperature is good. Sometimes I even crave it.
I like that description wayne,I have never heard it put like that.

I am fine unless it's packed like body to body. I can't do the night club scene because it is impossible to NOT have sweaty bodies rubbing up against you, not to mention that men think an appropriate way to ask a lady to dance is to come up behind her and start grinding on her butt without saying anything. Ugh. Then of course there's the lights and the noise. I have fun for the first hour, hour and a half maybe, and then I need to go home. But nobody goes to the club for just an hour, so I don't get to go at all. No great loss.

I spend almost all my time in my bedroom, but I live in the midwest so the weather is rarely nice. When it's warm I do like to go into my backyard, and there is an arboretum at my school that I love. I love the quiet of being outside.

Ugh I can't do parties at all. I just don't know what to do. I went to one like.. 3 years ago, was looking forward to it and everything. Got there and was like 'oh wait.. what do I do?' lol. Stood in the corner(s) for 4 hours doing nothing on my own until my friend was ready to leave. Sucked. Not for me.

My ability to handle crowds really depends upon the situation. I used to work in a children's museum, and it could be pretty packed if there was a special event going on. On those days, I would often have to go in the staff room for a few minutes to calm down every so often, because sometimes the noise and lack of space made me panicky. For awhile, I would also get panicked if I was checking people in at the front desk and there was a large crowd waiting to come in, especially if I was working the desk alone. I really don't like going to bars. If people are smoking, I can't tolerate the smell or the feel of breathing the smokey air in. Even if it's a non-smoking bar, the music is usually so loud that I am miserable the entire time I'm there, and I wind up sitting on the table trying to read my friends' lips while covering my ears in an attempt attenuate the sound. My "friends" who I used to go to bars with wouldn't let me wear my earplugs to the bars because they said they looked silly and they'd be embarrassed to be with me, though one of them showed me that you could put toilet paper in your EAM (external auditory meatus) to attenuate the sound. I don't think I've ever been to a really crowded party, but if it's not to loud and I've had a few drinks, I do okay at parties as long as I know several of the people who are there and have trust with at least one of them. I don't particularly like being very drunk, but on occasion I do like to have a drink or two.

As for the outdoors, I LOVE being outside when I like the weather. I love when it is sunny, or if there's a warm rain or heavy, new snow. Being outside makes me feel playful and childlike, and when I'm alone outside, I feel like I can more fully be myself. I play and laugh, and I LOVE to climb trees (when it's warm and sunny). I also love traipsing in the snow, and even though it makes me cold, I like to throw myself down into it when it has accumulated (that's probably really odd...). When it rains in the spring and summer, I like to go outside and dance barefoot in the rain, on the wet grass and the new mud (and now...I sound like a hippie).

...and I LOVE to climb trees.
Amen! But my fear of heights kind of ruined that for me as it developed. :(
I like to go outside and dance barefoot in the rain, on the wet grass and the new mud (and now...I sound like a hippie).
Ugh, I hate getting my feet muddy. :p If it's sand on the beach it's different, it feels cleaner. But grit or mud with rain would really irritate my feet. :(

If I'm not supposed to be anywhere and it's rainy and I have waterproof things on, I like to splash around in the puddles, but I haven't done that since I grew out of my waterproof trousers years ago.

i want to climb a tree now, there is a massive walnut tree down past the bottom of my garden i want to climb but i want it to be a bit warmer

oh and when i say massive, i mean massive, that tree is HUGE

Amen! But my fear of heights kind of ruined that for me as it developed. :(

Ugh, I hate getting my feet muddy. :p If it's sand on the beach it's different, it feels cleaner. But grit or mud with rain would really irritate my feet. :(

I like the squishy dirty feeling for awhile, but I always have to wash off right away ^_^ Are there any trees that have low branches that you can climb in but not necessarily too far up? Those can be fun.

If I'm not supposed to be anywhere and it's rainy and I have waterproof things on, I like to splash around in the puddles, but I haven't done that since I grew out of my waterproof trousers years ago.

In the summertime, when the rain is warm, it's fun to go barefoot in a swimsuit ^_^

i want to climb a tree now, there is a massive walnut tree down past the bottom of my garden i want to climb but i want it to be a bit warmer

oh and when i say massive, i mean massive, that tree is HUGE

Lucky! I'm really jealous. How cold is it where you are?

When I was younger, there was a tree as big as my mom's first husband's house in his front yard. When he still had visitation rights, I would have to go over there, but when he got angry, no matter how cold it was, you could bet I was as high as I could climb in that tree. It was my safety and my comfort.

krisi its quite cold i don't think has been above 14 degrees in ages, when it warms up a little i will climb the tree and take photos from the top, or at least as high as is safe to go, i may order some para cord of ebay, just to be on the safe side

krisi its quite cold i don't think has been above 14 degrees in ages, when it warms up a little i will climb the tree and take photos from the top, or at least as high as is safe to go, i may order some para cord of ebay, just to be on the safe side

I still envy you--and I can't wait to see your photos.

It gets quite cold here, too, though we are through the phase where it stays below 10 degrees Fahrenheit all the time and hovers around 32 degrees fahrenheit/ 0 degrees celcius. It'll probably stay this way for awhile; we sometimes get snow in mid-april.

New Threads

Top Bottom