• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Calling UK adults with Aspergers?

Lydia

Hi everyone,
Still looking for some adult participants to take part in my research looking for your thoughts on provision for those with AS/HFA in UK schools (previously approved by moderators to post this). Please see below for more information, would love to hear from you at [email protected].

Hi there,

My name is Lydia and I would like to know if you would be interested to take part in a research project involving those with High Functioning Autism/Asperger’s Syndrome that I am undertaking as a postgraduate student through the University of Nottingham.

Reason for the research

I am keen to research and publish a paper on the experiences of people with AS when you were at primary and secondary school. There is not much research out there that listens to the views and stories of people with AS themselves. This is unfortunate and my aim is to highlight (through themes that come up from your responses) areas of the school system that have been troublesome, any that were good, and highlight areas that need to change. I am also keen to explore whether you feel that identification in childhood would have been beneficial to your experience at school and for those of you who were identified as a child (if any?) your experiences of education as a result. I am also interested in your thoughts on any experience you have had with the ‘Special Educational needs’ system whilst at school.

What it would involve

The research will be carried out though the University of Nottingham, as part of my Master's program, and has full ethical approval.

The research would involve an interview over the internet with myself that would last approximately 45 minutes. This would take place either by live chat (non-video instant text messaging) or a videocall (e.g. skype), whatever you are more comfortable with. I would send you a copy of the questions in advance, including an information sheet and a consent form. You would be free to withdraw from the research at any time (no obligations) and your contribution will remain anonymous. The interview would be 'semi-structured', meaning that there is room for you to add personal views and opinions about additional areas that the questions may not cover.

Why research?

Research helps to inform practice - at least eventually. Research also potentially inspires other and more larger scale research. It is therefore a potential force for change. I think that this is a valuable project to be a part of, in that it aims to listen to the views and experiences of people with Asperger’s Syndrome who have been in the education system before, in the hope that we can make things better in school for children with Asperger’s in the future.

If you would like to take part in this research or have any questions please email me at [email protected]

Kind regards,

Lydia MacDonald

I just replied to your PM.

Basically I'm out tonight but I can do the interview any time after 10.30 tomorrow morning, on Google Hangouts or Facebook Messenger.

Link to my Facebook is in my signature.

so really if you are autistic an adult and [h.f.a] you are still left swinging in the breeze its always the same you are magically fine after 25 no longer autistic
Hi everyone,
Still looking for some adult participants to take part in my research looking for your thoughts on provision for those with AS/HFA in UK schools (previously approved by moderators to post this). Please see below for more information, would love to hear from you at [email protected].

Hi there,

My name is Lydia and I would like to know if you would be interested to take part in a research project involving those with High Functioning Autism/Asperger’s Syndrome that I am undertaking as a postgraduate student through the University of Nottingham.

Reason for the research

I am keen to research and publish a paper on the experiences of people with AS when you were at primary and secondary school. There is not much research out there that listens to the views and stories of people with AS themselves. This is unfortunate and my aim is to highlight (through themes that come up from your responses) areas of the school system that have been troublesome, any that were good, and highlight areas that need to change. I am also keen to explore whether you feel that identification in childhood would have been beneficial to your experience at school and for those of you who were identified as a child (if any?) your experiences of education as a result. I am also interested in your thoughts on any experience you have had with the ‘Special Educational needs’ system whilst at school.

What it would involve

The research will be carried out though the University of Nottingham, as part of my Master's program, and has full ethical approval.

The research would involve an interview over the internet with myself that would last approximately 45 minutes. This would take place either by live chat (non-video instant text messaging) or a videocall (e.g. skype), whatever you are more comfortable with. I would send you a copy of the questions in advance, including an information sheet and a consent form. You would be free to withdraw from the research at any time (no obligations) and your contribution will remain anonymous. The interview would be 'semi-structured', meaning that there is room for you to add personal views and opinions about additional areas that the questions may not cover.

Why research?

Research helps to inform practice - at least eventually. Research also potentially inspires other and more larger scale research. It is therefore a potential force for change. I think that this is a valuable project to be a part of, in that it aims to listen to the views and experiences of people with Asperger’s Syndrome who have been in the education system before, in the hope that we can make things better in school for children with Asperger’s in the future.

If you would like to take part in this research or have any questions please email me at [email protected]

Kind regards,

Lydia MacDonald

Hmmm? Sounds like another rerun of all the other useless research crap I see here all the time. Ride the hunahorse, bark up the wrong tree and preach to the choir? No thank you, I'll pass. Why should we volunteer to be guinea pigs for someone university project so they can make the grade? What's in it for us? Will this research make our lives better in the future? Considering that AS is more of a political issue then a health one. I would have to say NO!

Hi everyone,

Hi there,

Reason for the research

What it would involve

Why research?

Kind regards,

Lydia MacDonald

Hi Lydia. I suppose it is too late to change your research at this point. You might get a better reception if you can research more about experiences of adults who were not diagnosed in childhood, or who have never been diagnosed at all and why they chose not to be officially diagnosed. There is a lot of discouragement among people who are on the Aspergers/Autism spectrum about dealing with the system, regardless of where we live. For me that is the USA.

Hmmm? Sounds like another rerun of all the other useless research crap I see here all the time. Ride the hunahorse, bark up the wrong tree and preach to the choir? No thank you, I'll pass. Why should we volunteer to be guinea pigs for someone university project so they can make the grade? What's in it for us? Will this research make our lives better in the future? Considering that AS is more of a political issue then a health one. I would have to say NO!
Dear FreeDiver, I'm very sorry you feel this way. In fact this is not motivated by a desire to 'make the grade', and involves a lot more work than is required through the uni. The motivation to listen to your experiences and publish is to gain more insight (from those who know best - i.e. those with AS). It's not about what's in it for you per se, but rather what's in it for children with AS in the future ( don't think you are trying to deny that children with AS can run into many difficulties at school?)..and the more we can understand about this the better. Let me know if you change your mind and I would love to chat with you!

Hi Lydia. I suppose it is too late to change your research at this point. You might get a better reception if you can research more about experiences of adults who were not diagnosed in childhood, or who have never been diagnosed at all and why they chose not to be officially diagnosed. There is a lot of discouragement among people who are on the Aspergers/Autism spectrum about dealing with the system, regardless of where we live. For me that is the USA.
Dear Alaska,
Really appreciate your thoughts. Yes I am hoping to explore the experiences of adults who were undiagnosed - I do want to look at diagnosis as part of this and if/how it helps or would have helped, and also explore the discouragement about the system . Let me know if you would be interested to be involved
Lydia

Dear FreeDiver, I'm very sorry you feel this way. In fact this is not motivated by a desire to 'make the grade', and involves a lot more work than is required through the uni. The motivation to listen to your experiences and publish is to gain more insight (from those who know best - i.e. those with AS). It's not about what's in it for you per se, but rather what's in it for children with AS in the future ( don't think you are trying to deny that children with AS can run into many difficulties at school?)..and the more we can understand about this the better. Let me know if you change your mind and I would love to chat with you!

First of all, let's get something straight here. Asperger's is NOT A HEALTH ISSUE. It is a different kind of mind. Is my computer considered broken because it running Mac instead of Windows? NO! The only time I have a problem with Asperger's is when it comes to interacting with other people. Beyond that, I don't really have any other issue with it.

As I said in my previous post. This is a political issue, not a health one. It's like back in the 80's when they thought that being gay was a sickness. Today we know better.

I agree!
First of all, let's get something straight here. Asperger's is NOT A HEALTH ISSUE. It is a different kind of mind. Is my computer considered broken because it running Mac instead of Windows? NO! The only time I have a problem with Asperger's is when it comes to interacting with other people. Beyond that, I don't really have any other issue with it.

As I said in my previous post. This is a political issue, not a health one. It's like back in the 80's when they thought that being gay was a sickness. Today we know better.

New Threads

Top Bottom