• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bipolar II

I don't know, chances are I might be bipolar. I experience extreme moods a lot - sometimes I might be too jolly or hyper, and during those moments I talk a lot, scream out random words, and just cannot sit still. At other times, it's pretty bad; I might be too moody and say things I'd regret later - in the worst cases I have meltdowns where I yell, hit objects and sometimes even slap/punch myself in the face because of all the self-loathing I experience. I'm actually in a bad mood more frequently than in a good one, I'd hate to admit; it's mostly because I always worry about things. In the in-between moments, I either want to be left alone or I'm just too clingy and needy, although I'm not sure if that applies. Family history - one of my grandmothers was bipolar. I haven't talked to my doc about this yet.
This describes me as well, minus the face punching and verified family history.

to protect your mind!!!, your mind has a coping mechanism it cuts off contact from your intellect
very!!!common to do this- i did it .
but i cut off childhood, youve cut off psychological maturity
i can tell you starting to feel the change is really really hard .
the ruach ha kodesh (holy spirit)- broke down the walls id built to cope -it feels like an earthquake but very !!!!! gentle ,then still years of change
you must have become traumatised about becoming an adult

Bipolarsupport.org has a forum similar to this one. It might be worth checking out. I am in the same boat you are. For about the past month I have been looking at bipolar disorder as a reasonable explanation for why some of my symptoms don't fit woth AS.

Well, I saw the doctor yesterday. I kept my suspicions to myself and just explained my moods swings to her and she came up with the suggestion of Bipolar and has referred me to the mental health team to be assessed.

Funny enough I found this thread via google.

I'm definitely thinking I might be Bipolar.
This is due to the fact I've been treated for 7 years for unipolar depression (also know as clinical depression), yet the medication has no long term effect on me regardless of the class of antipsychotic and antidepressants. I still cycle through strong depression cycles that can last for a upwards of an hour if not weeks or longer. Hell even when I am on max Wellbutrin (450mgs), it doesn't phase a strong or massive depression cycle. It helps wonderfully on a mild depressive cycle. I've been on the 150mgs pills since late June.

When at the beginning of a cycle, I'm extremely social, super hyper focused (it's beyond the hyper focus I have with AS), and have an increase of energy (timed with restlessness). Essentially I act socially normal at the beginning. But I tank fast and deep with little to no energy. I just want to be left alone and become very irritable. I don't want to do anything including going to work or talk to my friend (we are really close).

Normally interacting with my friend puts me in a great mood and as does he.

My current depressive swing is going on a week, making me more batty at work (I act like my friend, who has ADD) and I was hyper impulsive to the point of buying a new huge TV. I realized the mistake I made, so I returned it and bought a smaller TV (my old TV was having issues that got the better of me) .

So am I Bipolar? Very likely! My mother has Type 1 as does her biological sister and biological mother. 7 years of treatments for unipolar depression, haven't worked. I still get the swings, the severe depression and the other stuff I've listed. I just need my mood and brain to stabilize and I want my energy back. I'm so tired of being tired and being unstable.

I know this is more than unipolar depression, I've been suffering this way for most of my life, it's just getting worse as I march into my 30s

I plan to see the doctor in November, if not sooner depending on when I get insurance again (I made just enough to get booted from Medicaid).

if you're not taking vit b 6 and 3 start quickly start eating a lot more veg they are much better at balancing chemicals than synthetic supplements ,its really better to take multi vit min as there all need each other to aid you properly get off non prescribed stimulants caffeine:cola ,dr pepper,energy drinks,coffee,caffeinated tea, refined sugar in candy, in drinks ,cakes, you can make cakes with dates in block form or coconut good for the immune system, try walking just to walk no other reason
a relative is bipolar and still is at 92 eat !!!!!!!balanced meals , my relative stopped eating well it makes the depression worse .
Funny enough I found this thread via google.

I'm definitely thinking I might be Bipolar.
This is due to the fact I've been treated for 7 years for unipolar depression (also know as clinical depression), yet the medication has no long term effect on me regardless of the class of antipsychotic and antidepressants. I still cycle through strong depression cycles that can last for a upwards of an hour if not weeks or longer. Hell even when I am on max Wellbutrin (450mgs), it doesn't phase a strong or massive depression cycle. It helps wonderfully on a mild depressive cycle. I've been on the 150mgs pills since late June.

When at the beginning of a cycle, I'm extremely social, super hyper focused (it's beyond the hyper focus I have with AS), and have an increase of energy (timed with restlessness). Essentially I act socially normal at the beginning. But I tank fast and deep with little to no energy. I just want to be left alone and become very irritable. I don't want to do anything including going to work or talk to my friend (we are really close).

Normally interacting with my friend puts me in a great mood and as does he.

My current depressive swing is going on a week, making me more batty at work (I act like my friend, who has ADD) and I was hyper impulsive to the point of buying a new huge TV. I realized the mistake I made, so I returned it and bought a smaller TV (my old TV was having issues that got the better of me) .

So am I Bipolar? Very likely! My mother has Type 1 as does her biological sister and biological mother. 7 years of treatments for unipolar depression, haven't worked. I still get the swings, the severe depression and the other stuff I've listed. I just need my mood and brain to stabilize and I want my energy back. I'm so tired of being tired and being unstable.

I know this is more than unipolar depression, I've been suffering this way for most of my life, it's just getting worse as I march into my 30s

I plan to see the doctor in November, if not sooner depending on when I get insurance again (I made just enough to get booted from Medicaid).

if you're not taking vit b 6 and 3 start quickly start eating a lot more veg they are much better at balancing chemicals than synthetic supplements ,its really better to take multi vit min as there all need each other to aid you properly get off non prescribed stimulants caffeine:cola ,dr pepper,energy drinks,coffee,caffeinated tea, refined sugar in candy, in drinks ,cakes, you can make cakes with dates in block form or coconut good for the immune system, try walking just to walk no other reason
a relative is bipolar and still is at 92 eat !!!!!!!balanced meals , my relative stopped eating well it makes the depression worse .
The only deficiency I have is Vitamin D, which is genetic (mother has it).

Ive suffered from all this for as long as I can remember.

I'm not giving up caffeine without a fight:mad:
I really have such a horrible life long severe insomnia, timed with my medication makes me drowsy.
If I get noticeably drowsy again, someone will kill me out of frustration.

This week I've walked plenty due to work and getting all the damn product out the door... It doesn't make me feel better, since i get physical pain from a muscular/neurological problem i was born with:D

Walking HURTS as does most physical movement!

It doesn't help that my family is the way it is and my grandmothers are hell bent on making me normal before they die. they are also quite hard on me while sparring the other grandchildren the axe (I'm the oldest and male)

My life has never been conducive to me, but to be fair i'd still be this way if it was conducive to me. My mother has all this stuff to a severe level, thus being born male I was born with a loaded gun.
if you're a guy and one of your parents have any medical issues, especially severe ones, you have an extremely high chance of getting it in a severe form based on gene distribution based on each chromosome. Its the big downside of having one of each chromosome.

But
I digress...

I really have such a horrible life long severe insomnia, timed with my medication makes me drowsy.

This week I've walked plenty due to work and getting all the damn product out the door... It doesn't make me feel better, since i get physical pain from a muscular/neurological problem i was born with:D

It doesn't help that my family is the way it is and my grandmothers are hell bent on making me normal before they die. they are also quite hard on me while sparring the other grandchildren the axe (I'm the oldest and male)

My life has never been conducive to me, but to be fair i'd still be this way if it was conducive to me. My mother has all this stuff to a severe level, thus being born male I was born with a loaded gun.
if you're a guy and one of your parents have any medical issues, especially severe ones, you have an extremely high chance of getting it in a severe form based on gene distribution based on each chromosome. Its the big downside of having one of each chromosome.

But
I digress...
Do you have a garden to sit in which is quiet, when my anxiety was unbearable sitting in the garden for a few hours seem to lessen it. Could you do Pilates ?it was designed for dancers who had injured themselves. My friend who has bpd does jigsaws it appears to be calming don't know why

Give up caffeine very gradually or you'll get terrible headaches and withdrawal symptoms

But
I digress...

@Streetwise
I live in apartment, so no garden (i don't like being in one anyways)

I don't have the physical flexibility for most physical activities, I was born this way.

Like I said the combination of medication and insomnia, makes me quite sleepy the first half of the morning.
Add in the fact that I spend most of the time at work, working on a computer, it makes it worse.

I need my coffee to stay awake, lest I get in more trouble for being sleepy... strangely the guys upstairs drink coffee by the pot.

Bipolarsupport.org has a forum similar to this one. It might be worth checking out. I am in the same boat you are. For about the past month I have been looking at bipolar disorder as a reasonable explanation for why some of my symptoms don't fit woth AS.
Thank you for the info.

My apologies, I'm not thinking very clearly today and lumped Bipolar in with other stuff.

I'm on a bit of a process of elimination mission. Quite easy to get stuck into when we're looking for answers and worrying.
There are a number of "Test yourself for....."
On a site called counselling resource.com

Non of the tests are a diagnosis, you'll need a medical professional for that and I don't know how accurate the tests are.

I only used them for a bit of guidance when I was in a bit of a panic. "OMG what if I have ..."
I was a bit disappointed with my bipolar score (I like to do extremely well in tests ;) :D )

I hope all goes well with your assessment :)
Good luck.

New Threads

Top Bottom