• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bipolar Disorder/Aspergers

Bekah

So I was thinking, that undiagnosed, Aspergers can give the appearance of bipolar disorder? Say you have aspergers all your life and because you don't know this and know one else knows it, you are not given the help you need to thrive with your unique mind therefore, you begin exhibiting characteristics that are associated with bipolar disorder even though you do not have it. Has anyone ever though of this? Just somthing I was thinking about and I feel thats what has happened in my case. Any thoughts appreciated! :cute:

Very interesting question and typical of the deep powers of observation we Aspies have...

I know several people with "diagnosed" Bi-Polar Disorders and they all share some of the more common Aspie markers. 1) They are very bright and quickly adapt to new ideas or become bored with the tried and true. 2) They have difficulty interacting with peers except in social/sexual situations where the "rules" of engagement are not yet set by society (e.g. bi-sexual relationships) or are still too foggy to be enforced objectively (e.g. gay marriages). I also know several people with diagnosed Dyslexia (entails much more than reversing letters!) who exhibit severe mood swings similar to those with Bi-Polar disorder. So what I am thinking is that "Bi-Polar Disorder" may be more of a symptom of other problems that is triggered when someone with undiagnosed Asperger's or Dyslexia encounters the wall of the bubble in which nature has imprisoned them. It is an invisible wall for most but is still a wall of separation between Nero-normal and not so normal.

Very interesting question and typical of the deep powers of observation we Aspies have...

I know several people with "diagnosed" Bi-Polar Disorders and they all share some of the more common Aspie markers.
1) They are very bright and quickly adapt to new ideas or become bored with the tried and true.
2) They have difficulty interacting with peers except in social/sexual situations where the "rules" of engagement are not yet set by society (e.g. bi-sexual relationships) or are still too foggy to be enforced objectively (e.g. gay marriages). I also know several people with diagnosed Dyslexia (entails much more than reversing letters!) who exhibit severe mood swings similar to those with Bi-Polar disorder.

So what I am thinking is that "Bi-Polar Disorder" may be more of a symptom of other problems that is triggered when someone with undiagnosed Asperger's or Dyslexia encounters the wall of the bubble in which nature has imprisoned them. It is an invisible wall for most but is still a wall of separation between Nero-normal and not so normal.

There's some things you say that sound quite familiar, though I'm not bi-polar. At least, not diagnosed with it.

However; I've noticed that I tend to have moodswings when I'm not doing "my own" things. I prefer things to be new and fresh in some way. I don't care for traditional things a lot. But in that effect I tried a lot of things in my life (and thus gained some skills and knowledge), ranging from playing guitar, keyboards/synthesizers, doing vocals in bands, up to painting miniature figures, 3d modelling, a bit of photography... and the list goes on and on. That also went down with being in college. The courses I took over years had literally no connection (I went from electrical enginering to social work and from journalism to computer science) Besides the normal "aspie" things, I used to have a lot of problems in not being able to keep it new and fresh and it got stale to me really, really fast.

As for point 2... I don't know if it's difficulty, or just me being a bit more "philosophical" about it in the sense that I question those situations a lot. It's not specifically the "this does not work out for me", but also the "why does this not work out for me, and why does it work out for others". But I do have a strong interest in sociology and philosophy.. .and controversy kinda makes me feel happy.

However, I do agree where bi-polar disorder might sometimes not actually be really bi-polar but more that you feel restrained in what you actually want, and more free if you actually have a drive to do what you're up to mentally. At least, that's how it works for me, yet, like I said, I'm not bi-polar. I am however diagnosed with a near perfect score on ADHD tests, so in a way I might have manic episodes, and I'm more likely to have a depressive episode when I'm not using my manic moments for good use on a practical level. With me there's no chemical imbalance in my brain going on so to say, but merely a practical thing... rather OCD-ish to keep busy.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us King_Oni. You have given me insights that I had never considered on my own.

yeah, it can happen, because once i was at my parents' friends house, and their son had sever bi polar. he sat and stared at nothing while my parents talked to their friends. i thought he was distracted, didnt know he was depressed. so i'm thinking, maybe when i stare into space, when i look at treetops moving in the wind or watch blinking objects, and i know i must look compeletly spaced out, myabe i look depressed instead of distracted. (i have a problem reading expressions...)
maybe when a person doesnt interact and tends to be by her/himself, people think that person is depressed.
i used to be extremely hyper in my twenties and thirties, and i read bi polars tend to get very hyper during their 'ups' and then slower during the 'downs'. they also suffer from insomnia and fears, and aspies often suffer from general anxiety and insomnia - i do, both.
i read aspies like danger, i know i did for a while, and bi polars are often suicidal - my parents' friends has committed suicide, and that's a shame. he has tired it several times before, without success, and only in his early twenties.
a faraway look in the eyes can be misread as sad. people told me i look sad, but i see myself in the mirror and in picture, and i look distracted. i dont feel sad, i feel disconnected, confused, detached.

New Threads

Top Bottom