• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Best friend may be aspie advice please :)

Hermione

Hey I'm brand new here. My best friend (23 yo male) did this test on an Aspergers site and it was like 50 questions long he ended up scoring a 37. Borderline is apparently anywhere from 26-31 so in his words he "aced it". I told him not to take it seriously because well...the internet, and yet the more I read the more I'm like omg its him. I want to be supportive and buy books and read but at the same time I don't want to freak him out. He didn't seem interested in actually getting tested by a professional and he's been making huge strides in communication all on his own anyway. I'm not even sure what I'm asking here... I guess how do I be a good friend to him? I'm mild bi-polar myself so I'm fairly sensitive and can get emotional easily. I also need help figuring out when he's being insensitive and when he's being aspie. I have no idea if this made sense. In my defense its 230am.

so questions in summary

-How do I be a good friend to him?
-How do I know when he's "teasing me/sarcastic" vs when hes being aspie?

These online questionnaires are not very helpful, in my opinion, as to determining "for sure" if one falls into any sort of neuropsychological profile. Never underestimate the potential for bias (conscious or subconscious).

THAT SAID -

My first question is...Are you two already having difficulties that you think might be related to his having Aspergers? If so, DEFINITELY read up on it. Befriending an Aspie does require a certain amount of...well, tolerance for their neuroses. :) Respect his personal space, be understanding when he doesn't want to socialize, yada yada yada... :cool: But beyond that, treat him like a friend; and, while we have peculiar ways of reciprocating others' friendship, he has to treat you like a friend as well--and learning about AS can help you tell if he might be or might not be.

As to the second question...you often CAN'T tell. You'll probably have to keep asking him explicitly. :cool:

Hope this helps you get started. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you so much for your response!
Can you recommend any books in particular? As you could probably tell by my username I'll get as much information as I can on a topic of interest. :p

New Threads

Top Bottom