• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being Single at Christmas

JDartistic

I wanted to share how I deal with Christmas when I'm single and on my own through the holidays. I've had several people tell me that it's quite inspirational, and since the holiday season can be depressing when you're alone, I thought folks here may appreciate this. So, here it goes...

First, if everyone was honest, they would completely admit that the best part of Christmas is Christmas morning opening all the gifts under the tree! It's when we are most happy and even child-like as we rip open the packages and squeal with glee and surprise! We almost always get something that we really wanted...and it just makes our day, right?

So, when I'm single, right after Thanksgiving, I give myself a gift-buying budget and then go on-line and order everything that I want. I then pay a little extra for gift wrapping AND I often write a gift message, such as "YOU ARE FABULOUS AND SO STRONG, - I LOVE YOU...", etc. Then, over the next few weeks as packages arrive at my doorstep, I immediately put them under my tree (just as they are as they arrive, still in their Amazon boxes). I then wrap them all up around mid-December and lovingly watch the pile of gifts grow in size. By Christmas morning, I'll have 5 to 10 glorious presents under the tree - all for me!

On Christmas day, there is ALWAYS a surprise! Even though I know what I ordered, there's something special about finally opening that sweater you purchased and realize that the color is even MORE magnificent than the picture, or that the make-up you got from Macy's included a bunch of samples, and it's inevitable that at least one gift you forgot you ordered, which then becomes a delight!

What's even better are all the "gift notes" you wrote to yourself, b/c these you really will forget what you wrote...and it's so nice to wake up to notes that make you smile and feel good about yourself.

After that frenzy, it's an easy choice to make yourself a nice dinner and spend the evening watching Christmas cartoons, like Rudolf and Snoopy. Honestly, I'm getting excited about Christmas all over again! (and I'm an Atheist... -LOL)

On New Year's Eve, I also go out by myself. I get myself all dolled-up and take myself out to venues where there are lots of people, and more so, where it's a spectacle and you can spend all night just people-watching. I normally go to the Kennedy Center on New Year's Eve which has over 5,000 people who show up in evening gowns and tuxedos as they literally ball-room dance all night to a LIVE orchestra! This year, since I moved to Annapolis, I'm taking a New Year's Eve cruise with live bands, open bar, dancing and fireworks on the Chesapeake Bay! I can't wait and I don't need a date - all that spectacle and people watching makes for an evening where I don't feel alone. I'll add that every time I've gone out alone on New Year's Eve, I've always met others who are friendly and love to talk, so it really does become a wonderful time.

Well, That's what I wanted to share and hope it inspires someone who might be feeling a little sad being alone on Christmas...and realizing that it's really an opportunity to get everything you want! :) HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
-joan

I wanted to share how I deal with Christmas when I'm single and on my own through the holidays. I've had several people tell me that it's quite inspirational, and since the holiday season can be depressing when you're alone, I thought folks here may appreciate this. So, here it goes...

First, if everyone was honest, they would completely admit that the best part of Christmas is Christmas morning opening all the gifts under the tree! It's when we are most happy and even child-like as we rip open the packages and squeal with glee and surprise! We almost always get something that we really wanted...and it just makes our day, right?

So, when I'm single, right after Thanksgiving, I give myself a gift-buying budget and then go on-line and order everything that I want. I then pay a little extra for gift wrapping AND I often write a gift message, such as "YOU ARE FABULOUS AND SO STRONG, - I LOVE YOU...", etc. Then, over the next few weeks as packages arrive at my doorstep, I immediately put them under my tree (just as they are as they arrive, still in their Amazon boxes). I then wrap them all up around mid-December and lovingly watch the pile of gifts grow in size. By Christmas morning, I'll have 5 to 10 glorious presents under the tree - all for me!

On Christmas day, there is ALWAYS a surprise! Even though I know what I ordered, there's something special about finally opening that sweater you purchased and realize that the color is even MORE magnificent than the picture, or that the make-up you got from Macy's included a bunch of samples, and it's inevitable that at least one gift you forgot you ordered, which then becomes a delight!

What's even better are all the "gift notes" you wrote to yourself, b/c these you really will forget what you wrote...and it's so nice to wake up to notes that make you smile and feel good about yourself.

After that frenzy, it's an easy choice to make yourself a nice dinner and spend the evening watching Christmas cartoons, like Rudolf and Snoopy. Honestly, I'm getting excited about Christmas all over again! (and I'm an Atheist... -LOL)

On New Year's Eve, I also go out by myself. I get myself all dolled-up and take myself out to venues where there are lots of people, and more so, where it's a spectacle and you can spend all night just people-watching. I normally go to the Kennedy Center on New Year's Eve which has over 5,000 people who show up in evening gowns and tuxedos as they literally ball-room dance all night to a LIVE orchestra! This year, since I moved to Annapolis, I'm taking a New Year's Eve cruise with live bands, open bar, dancing and fireworks on the Chesapeake Bay! I can't wait and I don't need a date - all that spectacle and people watching makes for an evening where I don't feel alone. I'll add that every time I've gone out alone on New Year's Eve, I've always met others who are friendly and love to talk, so it really does become a wonderful time.

Well, That's what I wanted to share and hope it inspires someone who might be feeling a little sad being alone on Christmas...and realizing that it's really an opportunity to get everything you want! :) HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
-joan

This is great! I am sure it helps if you live in a place like NY. I used to live in DC and it was great!! Never a day to wonder what to do. Then I moved into the deep south. Gulp..............Now if I go out, it's to something truly stupid and vapid........But I do it. And sometimes Meetups help to get the focus going. I guess it's what you make of it no matter where you are. There are good people everywhere.

I've been single most of my life... I seem to be in a relationship all of a sudden, which makes things a little different...

I'm a people watcher with my camera, most years our city has a big New Year's Eve party, I attend with the sole purpose of taking photos, people watching... And it might seem like a lonely thing to do, but I love it! I'll wander around, on my own, looking for photo opportunities, I hardly even care about the fireworks, more chances to take photos! :rolleyes:

I believe this was taken during the fireworks...

31211467813_53e5d8753b.jpg

Another favourite from last year...
31904103621_4f0e5664c3.jpg

CNN published this photo, from New Year's Eve 2012

8334358880_f8fde42651.jpg

Plus many more photos I won't bore you with...

As for Christmas, I don't necessarily buy gifts for myself, I do spend time celebrating the Christian meaning of Christmas, as part of my belief system, I spend little time with the commercial aspect of the season...

Im single every Christmas nobody wants an autistic male but a successful nt that makes over 6 figures a year and drives a BMW or a Ferrari.

Im single every Christmas nobody wants an autistic male but a successful nt that makes over 6 figures a year and drives a BMW or a Ferrari.

At first. Then they marry them and complain that he's never home, doesn't seem to care about the kids, and is sleeping with his secretary.

I wanted to share how I deal with Christmas when I'm single and on my own through the holidays.

I loved it and think it is delightful!

For Thanksgiving my partner and I join a group of people who likewise can't travel to visit with family, and it makes for a delightful day at a buffet with no clean up :)

This is great! I am sure it helps if you live in a place like NY. I used to live in DC and it was great!! Never a day to wonder what to do. Then I moved into the deep south. Gulp..............Now if I go out, it's to something truly stupid and vapid........But I do it. And sometimes Meetups help to get the focus going. I guess it's what you make of it no matter where you are. There are good people everywhere.

When I moved to MD a year ago, I had the same vapid experiences as you describe. I got really discouraged & sad that I left DC. But then I drove around & tried different venues. Most are lame but I got lucky in Annapolis so it’s okay. Still, I get what ur saying. I also started a philosophy MeetUp to meet more progressive people. I then started a Supper Club (I missed entertaining) in my redneck neighborhood which strangely took off & im now quite popular in the hood, albeit still starved for intelligent conversation. LOL

I think as an urban-rat, I’ll always prefer the city... why do we move away? LOL but seriously. I guess it takes us leaving City life to appreciate it.

Nah. I mean, I wouldn't mind the car, but I don't want the NT male that comes with it. I'll make my own money, buy my own car, and spend my time with someone I'm actually compatible with.

Back to the original point: I love your idea, @JDartistic ! I don't celebrate christmas, but I think it's a brilliant idea to buy yourself gifts with inspirational messages attached to them, to be opened at a later date. I think I'm going to have to take your idea and do something with it. Buy myself gifts to be opened a year later or so. I have things to ponder...

Don't believe that... Even many NT's reject these values... I firmly believe there is love and friendship for everyone, no matter who you are :)

Certain types of women want certain types of men and vice versa. My 'ideal partner' is incredibly different from my sister's 'ideal partner'. Yes, some women want the 6 figure salary (usually if they have or want to have kids). Others are happy making that 6 figure salary themselves and want different things in a man.

New Threads

Top Bottom