• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being Focused on What You Want/Repetitiveness

FromEquestria2LA

Hi, all. Well, it seems like I can't go to one of my fave anime convention this November; mostly because my dad is away on vacation, and my mom is afraid of being left alone for a whole weekend, despite the fact we live in a good area. Yeah, I wanted to go, but I guess I gotta know when not to be selfish. I wanted to go because of my anxiety ATM.

So, I will try and visit Japan in June 2023. 18 years after I missed the cut to go there in high school, I'm finally making it happen.

On that note, is it common for us on the spectrum to be repetitive like this, until you get your way? And are we also so uncompromising in what we want like that? I'd like to hear from you all.

Well, I know I'm this way.

Typically once I've decided that I want something, well... it's not so much a declaration of "I want this". It's more "I will have this, period". I'll become incredibly obsessive and bend everything until it's in the shape that lets me get whatever I'm after.

Like, it's about time for me to upgrade and get a new PC. And not just any PC will do. No compromising, it's got to be the best, simple as that. Anything less will not satisfy. Which is how I approached the same situation when getting the PC I'm currently using a few years ago.

And if something is getting in the way of a thing I want that I cant overcome, well... yeah that's gonna be problematic.

I'm not sure if this is autism related though. It's no secret that I'm a spoiled little snot, and am used to getting what I want. Not the best quality, but that's just me being honest. So, that factors in for me.

Though, the sheer level of obsession I'll display when after something? That does feel like an autism thing to me.

But that's just my own thoughts on it.

Oh I'm the same. Once I get an idea in my head - and I desire it enough, then it will come to pass in some way shape or form.

As above, I'm into tech. So a lot of money over the years has gone on building my gaming PC's, smartphones, DSLR cameras and lenses, TV's and other gizmos and gadgets.

Now that I'm converting a van, all the money is going on that project. Mechanics at the moment, then bodywork, then box, then converting. That'll no doubt get filled with camper related tech etc.

I'd like to visit JP too. I don't have a big wanderlust for foreign travel. But I will go to JP one day.

My folks have odd worries which can be stifling at times. But they're worriers, and catastrophic thinkers. Guess how I turned out too? :)

They also live in their own bubble. Don't go out much, do the same routine again and again and again. Like same dinners each week, for over 10-15 years.

Ed

I'm similar. Once I've made a decision the results are fairly inevitable. Quite a few friends comment that I'm the only person they know who usually ends up doing exactly what he said he was going to do.

When I was a teenager there was an advert for Nike shoes that really appealed to me:

Just do it!

Same here. Though I've learned to adapt to circumstances at a very young age. The only thing that I "demand" is for a place where I can retreat to if and when necessary, and I have to like the interior of that place. But it doesn't have to be "my" place or always the same.
By now I'm at a point where I would prefer to have just a toothbrush and a sack of clothes and that's it.
My dream right now would be to have a RV or transformed truck (the interior of which would have to please my sense for esthetics, of course) big enough to live and work, and spend the rest of my life traveling through the continent.
I'm not sure that's going to happen, I'm not stable enough for that kind of life right now and don't know when I will be again (one doesn't get any younger and political/social situations might get worse).

Possibly in the minority here. I'm rather free-flow and am quick to decide things aren't worth the effort. I may feel like having a certain food, but it won't go beyond the feeling as I'm not about to go buy and cook or even order it. Instead I'll just have a waffle or even just drink. I've lost trip opportunity more often than I have gone on trips, there are many things to get in the way. I let it slide every time. Not that I'm not disappointed or don't actually want to go or anything. But simply that I can live with not going.
I don't bend on what I find important, but what I find important is not compromised by not having it.

I am extremely goal-driven and highly motivated, and if I want to make something happen, especially a work goal or a personal goal, I will.

On that note, is it common for us on the spectrum to be repetitive like this, until you get your way? And are we also so uncompromising in what we want like that? I'd like to hear from you all.
Oh hell yas! I spent days just renaming and reorganizing my digital photo collection. Then went on to correct most of my digital audio collection as well, song-by song. Thousands of them. But then I was also formally diagnosed with OCD many years ago, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Yeah- "uncompromising" when and where I can. ;)

Yes. It's part of what motivates me. I sometimes tell people work is an interruption in my life, but at the same time, work is what funds my special interests and my sometimes uncompromising tastes in things,...especially major purchases. For example, if I get idea in my head like a car, a house, a TV,...whatever,...research, research, research,...decide on literally the best of the best,...then not settle for anything less. I would rather go completely without until I have saved up enough money to buy that one special thing,...or go on that one special vacation.

Now, that's not the case all the time,...basic everyday things I don't really care or give much thought to.

I think I obsess about good choices when it comes to major purchases. My family decided we ate going to Disney world. My daughter was a tween. I spent about 3 weeks researching places to stay. We ended up at the Vistana resort. And there are two, so you have to pick the right one. It was spectacular. My daughter walked in and said this is my bedroom, it was the only bedroom with a jacuzzi right on the side of the bedroom. Nope, you get the other bedroom silly. The pool and waterfall was beautiful. We didn't want to leave. I am so thankful l spent time researching. We stayed at a dude ranch once, that was spectacular. And they had a pool too. I think we do obsess about things. We get a notion in our head, and turn into a race horse trying to get to the finish line.

New Threads

Top Bottom