• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being alone.

img_0159.png

Oh, no. I don't mean it in a depressing, oh, I am so lonely, I need a girlfriend type alone, but the kind where you get home from work to a nice empty house all to yourself free (you're never free) of societies expectations. I am a completely different person when alone. I am hyper, unfocused, and just loligag around, chasing every thought, indulging in every impulse, not holding back, and enjoying the time. I am free to be the autist I aught to be. I have taught myself this. I am not forgetting about my self hatred when I say this, but that feeling is derived from the inclusion of other people, not when I am alone. I have trained myself to accept the weird, quirky, erratically un-normal self. When I get home, I take of the mask of perceived personality, I don't have to act, I don't have to do anything right or wrong, no one will judge me if I do wrong, so I just... Be me.

And my god am I a fun person to be with when I am alone.

Just an afterthought before I post. I enjoy the fresh air when I take my mask off, do you? Society wants us to act a certain way, sure. But I am not going to act accordingly when society is not around. I am thinking, if you act the same way at home alone as when you are out among people. Is your whole personality defined by the expectations placed upon you by society? Is there any 'you' left in you?

Food for thought.

So, to start a conversation, I thought I would open up a conversation on said topic.

I tend to think that the keepers of all that is right and good really have this need to pigeon hole everyone into their idea of what is normal. Perhaps everyone should question society for its judgments, norms and labels that it arbitrarily places on individuals. Part of this society is the shrink industry.

Young children make friends easily. Adults have conditional relationships. A child will end a friendship if the friend is mean or abusive.

I think for anyone it is important to be accepting of others and self accepting, with some reasonable exceptions.

I personally like breaking molds.

More food for thought...

I love being alone. You don't realise how stressful it is when you constantly have to be or act a certain way around others. I am a builder and mostly work alone which I love I can be myself it's really disappointing when I get to a job and there is another tradesman there working, it totally changes my day.

Absolutely need it. Putting on an act and trying to play along with what amounts to BS chips away completely at my well-being.

When I say "alone", I don't mean in an extreme removed from civilization sort of way, but without that massive down time I'd go completely insane.

New Threads

Top Bottom