• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic?

Funny?

Hey everyone,
I’m not sure what exactly to write but I’m 28 from Australia but originally from Israel. I’m a mum to a beautifully girl and expecting another one in February, when I was pregnant with my first I experienced a lot of anxiety and depression and at the same time I struggled with bulimia (over a decade) so I started therapy. From the first sessions the therapist (which also specializes in ASD) suspected that I’m maybe on the spectrum. After number of sessions and not formal assignment she told me that she convinced that I’m on the autism spectrum. Recently she told me that if she would do a formal assignment I’ll will be level 1/2 which caught me off guard.
I’m not sure what I should do, I know there is a lot of stigma around it and I managed for 28 years without any support so what a formal diagnosis will do?
Thank you and sorry for the length.

I’m not sure what I should do, I know there is a lot of stigma around it and I managed for 28 years without any support so what a formal diagnosis will do?
Hi Funny? What you should do is whatever you decide suits you the best. The actual diagnosis isn't really all that important compared to simply learning how to understand yourself better.

I'd recommend reading through these forums and talking to a few people about some of our different traits and different ways we find in order to deal with different situations. These forums have been greatly helpful to me, I can talk about many things in here and I feel normal instead of weird.

I'm also an Aussie, I got a diagnosis just last year at age 56, but this was part of my retirement plan. I'm ASD2 and that got me the pension.

For some, like myself, the diagnosis was important for closure and getting passed that nagging voice 'what if' and 'am I?...I do not feel autistic'...I'm just me.

The diagnosis is just a key to a door that some open, while others are just as happy to go on with life never to look inside (which you have done for 28 years). Both are fine...it's your happiness that counts. Either way...you need not worry. :)

You're not alone.

Welcome. I first realized I was probably on the spectrum a few years later than where you currently are, and got my diagnosis a few years later.

For me, it was relief as it allowed me to better understand myself and my interactions with the world, in addition to opening up a world of literature and other resources, like this website, to assist me on that journey.

Anxiety and depression are things that often show up alongside autism, and women on the spectrum tend to blend in better with society than men on the spectrum and so that may have contributed to you and others not realizing that you were different.

What you do with a diagnosis (and if you choose to pursue one) is up to you, but I think reading some books may help put things into perspective. Two (out of many) that you may with to start with, if you go down that path are:

Hi and welcome. If you already know she would diagnose you, I guess it depends what you feel you would prefer. I would ask the therapist also, what she feels the benefits or problems may be of having a diagnosis. You can count yourself as autistic, and work on strategies for any problems this causes you, without having a diagnosis.

The stigma seems to come from how little anyone understands autism. Also, it's such a wide umbrella and affects people differently. However, you noted having bulimia, anxiety and depression, which could mean you've been having some trouble managing? But as you say, would having an autism diagnosis help or not? I am not sure.

New Threads

Top Bottom