• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic Rights... can only be led by the autistic

AspiePie

I have a question... was the black rights movement led by blacks?

Was the women's rights movement led by women?

Was the Mexican labor movement led by Mexicans?

Then why are autistics not leading the autistic rights movement?

Autistics must realize we as autistics must to paraphrase a certain infamous aspie tear a flag from nothing so that our autistic children may inherent a planet which not only respects them but worships them... we must have a autistic nationalism in which we place the good of the autistic above all else the way Martin Luther King and Malcom X did and we must invest in this past our deaths in a tomorrow which we may not live to see...

The idea of having people on the spectrum leading the push for what we need and, the changes that we need in society is great but, I think we need to be careful that we don't turn to violence or incite violence toward ourselves in the process.

As for being worshiped, trust me, it isn't all that great, sure people adore you, kiss the ground you walk on, literally sometimes, any service professional will cater to your every whim and then some but, do we all really want the loss of privacy, the scrutiny of the masses on everything we do and say? I don't think most of us on the spectrum want that.

Yes we all want our worth to be recognized and, to be valued for who we are and what we are capable of but, I don't think all of us want to be the idols of the next generation. I'm sure a few do, I'm not the only Aspie that sought the spotlight and, I'm sure there are others that want that, but, not all of us.

What we do deserve and, I think want is the right to choose our own path in life without discrimination, without being looked down upon for our differences, without being told to act right. We want to be accepted and understood, allowed the same privileges as anyone else, we don't want to be denied a job that does not require communication skills just because we don't communicate well in an interview.

If we were blind, in a wheelchair or whatever, accommodations would be made, we would not be denied a job because of our condition yet, those of us on the spectrum are too often denied jobs because less than stellar communication skills is nearly a universal part of our condition, even when the job does not require such skills.

A lot of other things need to change but, in my mind that is a big one.

Last edited:
I am apt to agree because no one understands us like we do! I'm not sure how we would get a movement started but it has to start with someone with the personality caliber of Martin Luther King Jr.

Or maybe a never say die rocker? :p

Working on it, every other celebrity has their pet cause so, why not me except, well ASD means that's a big deal and a huge project but, hey what else am I supposed to do with the money I'd otherwise leave to a daughter that neither wants nor needs it? I do have better reasons but, that's not a bad one.

The thing is: we are...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_rights_movement

I could drop names, but just have a look there. Plenty of autistics leading the way, making progress in their own manner, within the autistic community itself, and society as a whole. (And note how they do it without having to drag things down by paraphrasing 20th century dictators who were out to euthanize us.)

There's all of us too, right here, who do whatever we can, even if it's just by leading nothing/no-one but our own everyday lives, with respect for ourselves AND for the world around us, learning about ourselves and educating others in the process.

And of course there'll be times and places where it should be 'all about the autistic', but that's quite different than placing 'the good of the autistic above all else' :rolleyes: It's about equality, equal rights, equal opportunity, about being treated fairly, about being included, about neurodiversity, and that involves reaching out, that involves all of us: autistic, NT, or whatever. Welcome to the 21st century.

And to further correct the original post: King wasn't campaigning for (black) nationalism. He was very clear in his conviction that in order to make real progress, to gain freedom, we need to work together, need to respect each other, regardless of our heritage.

Last edited:
ARM is good, just a bit too focused on the disorder vs. difference part. Okay I agree but, call it a difference, disorder, even a disease if you want, we can argue semantics later, when those on the spectrum that need it are getting the support, assistance, education, accommodations and opportunities we all deserve.

Yes that take everyone working together, us "spectrumites" parents, educators, businesses, employers, the medical community, EVERYONE.

Autism rights are human rights. Autistics do lead the movement.
Amythest Schaber, Amy Sequenzia, Michael John Carley.
All making a real difference. All autistic.

"Nothing about us, without us."

It takes all kinds of autistics to make a difference.

Check out Amythest Schaber's YouTube channel, or her NeuroWonderful blog. She's incredibly skilled at explaining shutdowns, meltdowns, and also why ABA is so damaging to autistics. She also explains why many autistics do not support AS.

See the film "Wretches and Jabberers," about two phenomenal, gifted, pioneering autistic men boldly traveling to international summits between FC-using autistics to collaborate in addressing global perceptions of autistics. Tracy Thresher and Larry Bisonette work in autistic advocacy in Vermont. (FC is Facillitated Communication, typed speech with the aid of a facilitator) These two men have made a real difference in helping others become aware enough to recognize the personhood of those who speak & move differently.

Many of us strive to stress the social model (strengths-based), rather than the medical model (deficits-based), regarding autism.

We should also acknowledge the intersectional struggles some go through. We need to support the unique challenges faced by autistic folk of color, with queer identities and other overlapping mental illnesses/disabilities, as well.

I agree. I'd love to see us work with other groups like Straight But Not Narrow, LGBT groups, Racial support groups and, disability advocacy groups. Some of us face multiple challenges beyond ASD. Anything to help raise awareness that ASD crosses all boundaries.

I think the reason autistic people are not at the forefront is that parents are. Autistic adults need to make themselves more known, but don't presumably due to the stigma.

The thing is: we are...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_rights_movement

I could drop names, but just have a look there. Plenty of autistics leading the way, making progress in their own manner, within the autistic community itself, and society as a whole. (And note how they do it without having to drag things down by paraphrasing 20th century dictators who were out to euthanize us.)

There's all of us too, right here, who do whatever we can, even if it's just by leading nothing/no-one but our own everyday lives, with respect for ourselves AND for the world around us, learning about ourselves and educating others in the process.

And of course there'll be times and places where it should be 'all about the autistic', but that's quite different than placing 'the good of the autistic above all else' :rolleyes: It's about equality, equal rights, equal opportunity, about being treated fairly, about being included, about neurodiversity, and that involves reaching out, that involves all of us: autistic, NT, or whatever. Welcome to the 21st century.

And to further correct the original post: King wasn't campaigning for (black) nationalism. He was very clear in his conviction that in order to make real progress, to gain freedom, we need to work together, need to respect each other, regardless of our heritage.
King did campaign for blacks first however both him and I wish to live in a world were people are judged purely on their creativity, intellect and moral reasoning....

We should also acknowledge the intersectional struggles some go through. We need to support the unique challenges faced by autistic folk of color, with queer identities and other overlapping mental illnesses/disabilities, as well.

Of course.. who said we weren't?

I am apt to agree because no one understands us like we do! I'm not sure how we would get a movement started but it has to start with someone with the personality caliber of Martin Luther King Jr.

We need to find that person and elevate them...

Autism rights are human rights. Autistics do lead the movement.
Amythest Schaber, Amy Sequenzia, Michael John Carley.
All making a real difference. All autistic.

"Nothing about us, without us."

It takes all kinds of autistics to make a difference.

Check out Amythest Schaber's YouTube channel, or her NeuroWonderful blog. She's incredibly skilled at explaining shutdowns, meltdowns, and also why ABA is so damaging to autistics. She also explains why many autistics do not support AS.

See the film "Wretches and Jabberers," about two phenomenal, gifted, pioneering autistic men boldly traveling to international summits between FC-using autistics to collaborate in addressing global perceptions of autistics. Tracy Thresher and Larry Bisonette work in autistic advocacy in Vermont. (FC is Facillitated Communication, typed speech with the aid of a facilitator) These two men have made a real difference in helping others become aware enough to recognize the personhood of those who speak & move differently.

Many of us strive to stress the social model (strengths-based), rather than the medical model (deficits-based), regarding autism.

Let promote these people and get them traffic?

Where do I stand as an NT?
I mean, I want to help, but I don't believe NTs should lead the autistic rights movement.

You stand with us, beside us, supporting us, showing the world that NT and ASD can learn to understand each other, can work together and, that doing that is better than either of us going it alone.

Autistic people should lead, however that we still want and need NTs to be our "wingman" on such an endeavor.

Speaking of which....shoutout to Jessica! Wish you'd come back. You are missed. ;)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom