• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Shutdowns and Caffeine

IHasQuestions

Hello, I am prone to autism-related shutdowns, sometimes rather severe.
I'm thinking caffeine might help to prevent them or wake me up, despite what the EMT said about shutdowns involving large amounts of stimulatory hormones.
Have you or anyone you've known had an interaction between shutdowns and caffeine?
Did caffeine make shutdowns better or worse, more or less frequent, or effect them in any way?
Since meltdowns and shutdowns have many of the same triggers, I would also appreciate any information about interactions between meltdowns and caffeine.
Thank you for your discussion.

I have ADD and if anything coffee calms me down, so for me I can't say that it would positively effect a shutdown, nor induce meltdowns.

No idea about meltdowns and caffeine, but I've used bastardly amounts of caffeine to try to power through shutdowns before. If anything, I found that (counter-intuitively) the caffeine (in the form of an Extra Strength 5-hour Energy) would usually make my shutdown worse. In fact, in completely the opposite direction, I find that a nap is usually the only thing that makes it better.

Caffeine and shutdowns have no relation for me. It doesn’t cause shutdowns for me, not does it help me get out of them. I have a low tolerance for caffeine, it makes me feel jittery and physically ill. If I would get some caffeine in me while on the verge of shutdown I’m guessing it could get worse, but that would just be on account of the jitters and not feeling well.

I don't think it's a good idea. Caffeine is a stimulant: Think about the reason why you are in the shutdown in the first place - it's because you are overloaded and your brain needs a rest to recuperate, so the last thing you need is a stimulant. Resting and eating well are the best things for a shutdown.

I don't think it's a good idea. Caffeine is a stimulant: Think about the reason why you are in the shutdown in the first place - it's because you are overloaded and your brain needs a rest to recuperate, so the last thing you need is a stimulant. Resting and eating well are the best things for a shutdown.

Caffeine isn't a stimulant for everyone. At least one person here has said it's relaxing, and it works for me that way, too.

The only way to know whether it's a help or makes things worse is to try it.

I wouldn't recommend it, because caffeine tends to cause crashes after it leaves your system, which could make you feel a lot worse afterwards. Try to put yourself in a space where there isn't much stimulation so your brain can process everything and calm down.

When I feel like I'm having a shutdown, I find listening to or imagining I'm listening to a song that usually gets me pumped (such as a rock or metal song) can help snap me back to reality.
This one is particular is pretty good for getting my brain going again:

Fresh air, hot tea and water are also ways that I find help suppress my shutdown for reasonable periods of time.

If I’m in a situation where going someplace dark and quiet and comfortable is not possible, then caffeine and sugar will keep me going. However, this will mean it will take longer to recover when i finally get the chance.
I take what i call mini retreats when I’m stressed and out around people and noise. I go to the bathroom and just sit and close my eyes ( and pee while I’m there!). Just a few minutes helps.
When i drink extra coffee and eat sugar it helps if i eat something high protien and then i don't get the jitters.
P.S. Trust your brain when it says it needs a brake.

New Threads

Top Bottom