• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism is an umbrella.... Why am I always getting wet lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amelia

It's always raining on me, autism is a **** umbrella lol, I think in the uk they shouldn't assess peoples level of autism based on iq, I think they should do it based on how badly it affects your life :)

They do this?

From some people I've spoken who are both from the UK and on the spectrum, it's not directly IQ related. Plenty of smart people are still on the spectrum and suffer from ASD in their daily life.

Though I guess with the new criteria from the DSM 5 book, I guess some therapists might take some liberty to add in IQ levels.

Actually it is, if your iq is in normal range your classed as high functioning no matter how bad your autism is!

Actually it is, if your iq is in normal range your classed as high functioning no matter how bad your autism is!

Fair enough, but there's only low and high functioning... perhaps the issue however isn't the diagnosis, it's what services do with it. If any support group in your area treats your autism, which I'm assuming, falls under "high functioning", and they fail to support you properly, it's not a matter of diagnosis IMO. It's the lack of personal support and the textbook approach many support groups/companies have.

There is no services for hf autistic adults in my area, and also there isant here there is low moderate and high functioning autism based on iq

Actually I think in the US your IQ can come into play with your diagnosis as well. Pretty much once you reach adulthood services are few and far between.

I was diagnosed with aspergers here in the UK and was not given an iq test but was given the status as high functioning based on face to face meetings and was offered help in the areas where I needed help.

Well then your lucky you don't live where I do.... Don't assume because you have been lucky that others are lucky to.... It doesn't work that way!

Who's assuming? I was stating my personal situation and not once said about anyone else's or assumed everyone else has the same situation.

Because then your comment has no relevance to what I wrote just that u have had it better and seem to be stating on something that's not of any similar experience to yourself.... See no point to your comment

Because then your comment has no relevance to what I wrote just that u have had it better and seem to be stating on something that's not of any similar experience to yourself.... See no point to your comment

As a moderator I'd like to step in here.

While I can understand your frustration here; there is no way this thread is and should be all about you personally and just you.. You put out a statement; what do you expect people to reply here then? Join in and wallow in your misery? While I do agree that your situation doesn't sound great, I would expect there to be some kind of goal you had in mind with a thread like this.

If anything, it should open discussion.

As much as I would like people to post and discuss things, discussing things often goes with personal experiences, something that jimited has shared. There's no need to be hostile towards him just because "he's lucky". I mean, you could've also asked where in the UK he's from, perhaps it's pretty close by and thus your statement "you don't live where I do" might fall flat on it's face.

So please, be a bit more considerate about jumping to conclusions and coming across as hostile.

Well Amelia I will just ignore your hostility and just say my situation wasn't down to luck, I turned 33 yesterday and I only recently been diagnosed with aspergers so that means I have been trying to live my life as normal as can be without knowing why I am different to everyone and going through huge struggles in my life without any help, only now I am getting some help to help deal with anxiety and depression, only now I am beginning to understand who I am, only now I am learning to deal with the world. I had to do all the leg work to get the help I am getting it didn't just fall on my lap and hey presto there you go here's your help. if you want help it's is there for you maybe it's not the best help but it's help non the less just fight for it. Maybe you can see the relevance now?

Maybe your just as discriminatory towards other autistic people as NT people are to you....

Or else why can't I speak about what I want to? Who are you to control how I feel or what I want/need and yes I have every right to think he can't possibly understand enough to comment when he has had a completely different experience to me! How am I supposed to find people with a similar mind set and who's been threw similar when people who don't understand are commenting? It's like me commenting on a post about how I have had a great experience with the same thing they have had bad experience with is just going to make them more miserable.... Why would someone want to do that have you never heard of making people feel like they are understood? Like just because you have a problem with my wishes and myself doesn't mean I will stop having my opinion (which I am entitled to by the way) and just because you are a moderator doesn't mean your comments are any less out of order

I have fought and got none try reading my other posts before you make statements like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom