• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

At what age were you when you first learned how to tie your shoelaces?

At what age were you when you first learned how to tie your shoelaces?

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 5 10.0%

Votes: 9 18.0%

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Other

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters
I discovered "Skater Shoes" and that was the end of that shoe tying nonsense.

I've found this works for any kind of sneaker. I usually tie my laces once when I wear them the first time, but leave enough room and after that I just wiggle in and out of them.

Dad taught me which is odd because he never paid any attention to us, but it astounded him that I still didn't know at ten. He only needed to show me once, because he did it in a logical manner.

I remember learning pretty young. Not sure exactly when, but I think I was about three. I also remember velcro. I had a problem with them coming untied for a while, but then I learned to double-knot the bows.

I have no idea, I guess 7 or 8. I remember having buckles when I was a small child, and my grandpa fastened them for me. I found them hard to fasten myself. I'm sure I learned to tie shoelaces by the time I got to middle school, because we had PE and we had to wear trainers for that. I can't remember having any difficulties tying them when I was at school.

Yes I was very late at learning how to tie my shoes. My motor skills were not good and I was really far behind in that. I recall that my aunt wanted my cousin to teach me how to tie her shoes if I would teach her how not to pee the bed at night. Yeah..... Now I can do it but prefer to not have laces just because it's easier to not have them-- I usually wear flip-flops or penny loafers.

Hehe well I don't know at what age but I remember my sister once showing me a 'cheats' way by doing two loops and tying them together. I just couldn't work out the other way! So I stuck to that as it worked so why change... It made people laugh or cringe.. (why I really don't know.. what was it to them how my laces were tied!) I had children and...... All of a sudden I magically learnt the normal way of tying laces. I don't know how. I didn't go on a course.. just did it!

Hehe well I don't know at what age but I remember my sister once showing me a 'cheats' way by doing two loops and tying them together. I just couldn't work out the other way! So I stuck to that as it worked so why change... It made people laugh or cringe.. (why I really don't know.. what was it to them how my laces were tied!) I had children and...... All of a sudden I magically learnt the normal way of tying laces. I don't know how. I didn't go on a course.. just did it!
This exactly what happened to me only it was my grandfather who taught me that way and he called it bunny ears. My second child is when I could all of a sudden do it the other way though idk how.

I am in my sixties and still can't seem to tie them right. I am super dyspraxic which is probably the reason. I am also horrible with buttons and zippers and that is just the "getting dressed" part

I was really surprised when I found out there were people who learned how to tie their shoes at 3...I didn't learn until I was 8 or 9 and had classmates and teachers tie my shoes for me. It took a while for my motor skills to develop...
I taught my self how to tie my shoes. my parents taught me very little. I was about 8 or so. I got tired of riling on others to help me, so I sat down one day a did it myself. I still tie my shoes in a strange way but it works for me. I taught my self to ride a bicycle as well.

Around 8 or 9 I actually had a girl at primary school try to teach me since I use to ask other kids to tie my shoes because I couldn't do them.

I was about 8. I am fully gown up now :) and I still have problems tying them, others' usually do them for me.

Hiking boot laces are impossible for me to tie. Fortunately, I spend a lot of time in riding boots that are lace less.

I don't remember exactly when, but I know I was younger than 6- because I remember one time when I was 6, I was in gym class and didn't realize my shoelaces were untied, so my teacher came right over and tied them for me and just assumed that I couldn't tie them myself and I got really annoyed, lol.

I'm 40 and I can tie a double knot in my Batman cape but I can't tie shoe laces :D

Hence I wear shoes with Velcro fastenings.

I learnt when I was 3 or younger, not sure exactly but I remember by dad teaching me, and being the only person in my playgroup (started at age 3) who knew how to tie their shoes.

When I was in my final year at Primary school (aged 11) my teacher actually paid one of the other boys in my class to teach me how to tie a necktie and tie my shoelaces. I think she did this because she knew that I'd need to know how to both when I moved up to secondary school, where I would have to wear a school uniform.

New Threads

Top Bottom