• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies more prone to sleeping disorders ?

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
I've lived with things like sleep paralysis and insomnia for years but I've always been a night owl and didn't sleep that much when I was younger.

It wasn't until I was thirteen that I started to experience sleep paralysis. It must've been because of a combination of stress and my constantly staying up all night and sleeping all day, plus the caffeine from soda. This was when I was being home schooled and started to really get into Adult Swim that would run at night on Cartoon Network. I also think Nicotine played it's role in this as this was then I started smoking.

Is it common for people with Asperger's Syndrome to be night owls and or have sleeping disorders along with it ?

I'm a night owl, I love the dark and the night! I keep my curtains closed as long as possible at day.
But as far as I know I don't have sleep disorders, though I'm a bad sleeper.

I'm not sure if it comes with being an aspie, though from all the people on the spectrum I know in real life, none of them have typical wake cycles.

Like me most of them are nightowls; the ones which aren't, can't do it because of a job or something of that nature. One of my friends even does polyphasic sleep. But hey, if it works for him... I couldn't bring myself to sleep for 20 minutes every 4 hours and have a 4 hour (or so) sleep session once a day; I mean, it does mean you can run on about 5 hours of sleep a day while keeping productive. Health concerns might be a different thing though.

One of the reasons I've heard a lot with any of my peers is that all of them prefer the night because it's way more quiet. It's the time some go out for a nightly walk (probably depending on where you live as well). Personally I've found that sitting at my computer with my window open at night works pretty good for me; it provides me with some "fresh" air and there's barely any noise distracting me from what I'm doing.

I don't have issues with that I can't sleep. I usually end up sleeping within 2 minutes if I'm in bed and put my phone/tablet/tv off. So getting to sleep is the least of my problems. And unless I just have a situation of bad timing; being in one of those overly sensitive hearing phases when I sleep and something catches my hearing, I can sleep pretty tight.

Yet, because society is still a mostly daytime thing, people will consider my behavior, regardless of my reason to do so "problematic". In a way I guess, when it comes to employment it might become an issue.

A final note on sleeping though; I don't really do regular 24 hour cycles. I'll sleep when my body tells me I should rest (and that doesn't really mean my life is dictated by a 8/8/8 cycle; 8 for work, 8 for sleep and 8 for well, whatever is in between). And sometimes my body is all wide awake and hyper after 4 hours (and I've even had instances where a 15 minute powernap pulled me through the entire day) other days I'll sleep 10+ hours. I've found a decent average in about 6,5 hours with my body (which also makes me think that I can in fact "catch up" on sleep; since if I sleep for 3 hours one day, I'll pretty much sleep 10 the next). Unless I'm exhausted, I can hit the bed at midnight and wake up at 6:30 almost on the tick. Saves me from waking up and almost choking in my own saliva cause I just got aurally assaulted by my alarm.

Yes, I prefer the night to get things done. But sometimes I end up waking up at 6 in the morning and I'll have to deal with being awake in the early morning, rather than midnight. I'll try to make the best of it, but I notice a difference in functioning and productivity for sure. Schedules and a consistent rhythm never really worked for me (in any way, not just in terms of sleep). And adhering to said schedules tends to be a mess in the long run. I mean, I can force myself in a regular cycle for only so long. After about a week, my mind is all over the place and I really need to revert to my personal biorhythm devoid of any obligations I have.

That personal biorhythm however is an interesting thing when I talked to a therapist about it. Since often they will advice medication to regulate sleeping. It's not that my body or mind can't find the sweet spot to snooze (give me a comfy bed and I'll sleep). It's that I'm acting like a unproductive raving lunatic when I'm forced in schedules I have no interest or control in. For me it has to do more with regulating how functional I am in my wake cycles in relation to my sleep cycles, not the other way around, since my ability to sleep (as in the actual "action" to sleep) is not the issue.

So, do I have a sleeping disorder? Myea... depends on your perspective. I think I function fine given the situation I'm in now. It's when I have to adapt to things that don't feel natural to me that one can speak of an actual disorder, since my body and mind will reject it pretty hardcore.

I'm not sure if it comes with being an aspie, though from all the people on the spectrum I know in real life, none of them have typical wake cycles.

Like me most of them are nightowls; the ones which aren't, can't do it because of a job or something of that nature. One of my friends even does polyphasic sleep. But hey, if it works for him... I couldn't bring myself to sleep for 20 minutes every 4 hours and have a 4 hour (or so) sleep session once a day; I mean, it does mean you can run on about 5 hours of sleep a day while keeping productive. Health concerns might be a different thing though.

One of the reasons I've heard a lot with any of my peers is that all of them prefer the night because it's way more quiet. It's the time some go out for a nightly walk (probably depending on where you live as well). Personally I've found that sitting at my computer with my window open at night works pretty good for me; it provides me with some "fresh" air and there's barely any noise distracting me from what I'm doing.

I don't have issues with that I can't sleep. I usually end up sleeping within 2 minutes if I'm in bed and put my phone/tablet/tv off. So getting to sleep is the least of my problems. And unless I just have a situation of bad timing; being in one of those overly sensitive hearing phases when I sleep and something catches my hearing, I can sleep pretty tight.

Yet, because society is still a mostly daytime thing, people will consider my behavior, regardless of my reason to do so "problematic". In a way I guess, when it comes to employment it might become an issue.

A final note on sleeping though; I don't really do regular 24 hour cycles. I'll sleep when my body tells me I should rest (and that doesn't really mean my life is dictated by a 8/8/8 cycle; 8 for work, 8 for sleep and 8 for well, whatever is in between). And sometimes my body is all wide awake and hyper after 4 hours (and I've even had instances where a 15 minute powernap pulled me through the entire day) other days I'll sleep 10+ hours. I've found a decent average in about 6,5 hours with my body (which also makes me think that I can in fact "catch up" on sleep; since if I sleep for 3 hours one day, I'll pretty much sleep 10 the next). Unless I'm exhausted, I can hit the bed at midnight and wake up at 6:30 almost on the tick. Saves me from waking up and almost choking in my own saliva cause I just got aurally assaulted by my alarm.

Yes, I prefer the night to get things done. But sometimes I end up waking up at 6 in the morning and I'll have to deal with being awake in the early morning, rather than midnight. I'll try to make the best of it, but I notice a difference in functioning and productivity for sure. Schedules and a consistent rhythm never really worked for me (in any way, not just in terms of sleep). And adhering to said schedules tends to be a mess in the long run. I mean, I can force myself in a regular cycle for only so long. After about a week, my mind is all over the place and I really need to revert to my personal biorhythm devoid of any obligations I have.

That personal biorhythm however is an interesting thing when I talked to a therapist about it. Since often they will advice medication to regulate sleeping. It's not that my body or mind can't find the sweet spot to snooze (give me a comfy bed and I'll sleep). It's that I'm acting like a unproductive raving lunatic when I'm forced in schedules I have no interest or control in. For me it has to do more with regulating how functional I am in my wake cycles in relation to my sleep cycles, not the other way around, since my ability to sleep (as in the actual "action" to sleep) is not the issue.

So, do I have a sleeping disorder? Myea... depends on your perspective. I think I function fine given the situation I'm in now. It's when I have to adapt to things that don't feel natural to me that one can speak of an actual disorder, since my body and mind will reject it pretty hardcore.
I'm pretty much the same, I can't live in a schedule from hour to hour at all I'll resist it in any way.
and for sleeping I'm completely the same!

My dad thinks that a night job would be the best type of job for me ... He also told me that night time was when he was at his most creative ...

I'm pretty much the same, I can't live in a schedule from hour to hour at all I'll resist it in any way.
and for sleeping I'm completely the same!

How's it working out in school for you now? Since I had the biggest issues with it in school.. and later when I had a job.

How's it working out in school for you now? Since I had the biggest issues with it in school.. and later when I had a job.
School sucks for me, I get decent grades and if I continue to the end of this year like that I'll go to havo 5 next school year, but just barely. 49 out of 50 times I don't complete an assignment or my home work, at home and after classes it's just impossible for me. But I can't explain why because I don't even know why.

School sucks for me, I get decent grades and if I continue to the end of this year like that I'll go to havo 5 next school year, but just barely. 49 out of 50 times I don't complete an assignment or my home work, at home and after classes it's just impossible for me. But I can't explain why because I don't even know why.

Heh.. yeah, assigments weren't my issue as much. I got my stuff done on time (most of the time). But I just struggled to show up, and with that I failed to show up for group activities (which weren't my strong point in general anyway).

I've actually managed to get my Havo @ adult education (Volwassenonderwijs) when I was in my 20's and that allowed me a more flexible schedule. I pretty much just attended exams, so I showed up about 2 hours a month. Sometimes I cherry picked classes which I felt were worth my time (or just because I happened to be out of bed and functional). But obviously such a schedule doesn't translate well to further education or employment.

Adding in that at the time I had a newspaper route for a while and had deliver newspapers in the early morning (somewhere between 4 and 7 am) I often ended going to bed when I came home from my route. That route at some point went on autopilot where I pretty much "zombied" through the area... I sometimes didn't remember I spent 2 hours outside doing said newspaper route.

No matter how much school sucked, I realized that I still want to be in school ... :/ Being an adult sucks ...

No matter how much school sucked, I realized that I still want to be in school ... :/ Being an adult sucks ...

I was an adult and in school... for most of my adult life. And that sucked enough cause you get both the stress of school and the added stress of paying bills and making ends meet ;)

I think if I go to HBO (higher profession education) where I can determine for my self which lessons I want to follow I'd be much happier and be able to function better, that is if I will choose one of the educations where that is possible.

I think if I go to HBO (higher profession education) where I can determine for my self which lessons I want to follow I'd be much happier and be able to function better, that is if I will choose one of the educations where that is possible.

That's.. what I assumed as well, lol. And there I was... having to come in from 8:45 till 16:00 3 days a week at least

I sort of have a complicated graduation from school as I nearly didn't finish and had to go to alternative ED to play catch up ... I finally moved out of my parents house to stay with my Aunt in what I considered my home town (God damn I still miss it lol) and was sort of in a way finally free.

I nearly quit school and didn't have a direction of what I wanted to do after I had finished it

I'm a night owl too. Just last night I stayed up till 3 AM writing in my diary and listening to music, and it was awesome. I usually go to bed at 2, though, so I don't sleep in too late the next day. (My ideal/normal rising time is around 10-10:30, sometimes 10:45 if I'm tired; to most people this is really late, but it fits me and my current life.)
Sometimes I wake up too early in the morning and for some reason am wide awake, but I don't get up because it's not the time I normally get up, so it would feel weird. After a while I fall back asleep and then wake up later than usual, and very tired, which makes me want to sleep more, but I can't because it's already late. I hate those mornings. They ruin my whole day. Sometimes they're induced by my family making noise in the morning. Other times they're induced by being cold or having forgotten to put lip balm on before bed. Fortunately, this doesn't happen as often as it used to, which is weird because the walls of my current house are paper thin and I can hear everything.

I love the night, probably because of its lack of people and sense of energy, if that makes any sense. Most people get sleepy when the sun goes down, but I get a sort of buzz. I have a light form of insomnia, because I cannot stop thinking and my brain is still awake due to the "buzz" I was talking about, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with autism. When I do sleep, I often feel unrested when I wake no matter of how long I had slept. I think aspies might be more prone to sleeplessness due to our sensitivities to sounds, colours, etc. but that is just an idea.

I love the night, probably because of its lack of people and sense of energy, if that makes any sense. Most people get sleepy when the sun goes down, but I get a sort of buzz. I have a light form of insomnia, because I cannot stop thinking and my brain is still awake due to the "buzz" I was talking about, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with autism. When I do sleep, I often feel unrested when I wake no matter of how long I had slept. I think aspies might be more prone to sleeplessness due to our sensitivities to sounds, colours, etc. but that is just an idea.

I have problems with sleeping at night but that's because I work nights and sleeping at night isn't part of my routine. In the day when it's quite i can sleep asking as I'm not stressing. but any noise just frustrates me and I find it hard to sleep. I also feel tired all the time no matter how much sleep I have had. My uncle believes it is because I do not go outside in the sun for 20 minutes a day. To be honest I have no clue why I feel sleepy all the time. I can't say I'm an aspie even tho I know I am but I refuse to say it until I have had my diagnose. If you know anymore information on why you feel tired all the time I would like to know if that is ok. If not it's ok I will research it :)

I have problems with sleeping at night but that's because I work nights and sleeping at night isn't part of my routine. In the day when it's quite i can sleep asking as I'm not stressing. but any noise just frustrates me and I find it hard to sleep. I also feel tired all the time no matter how much sleep I have had. My uncle believes it is because I do not go outside in the sun for 20 minutes a day. To be honest I have no clue why I feel sleepy all the time. I can't say I'm an aspie even tho I know I am but I refuse to say it until I have had my diagnose. If you know anymore information on why you feel tired all the time I would like to know if that is ok. If not it's ok I will research it :)
I'm not sure why I am always sleepy, but my sister and mother have some sort of thyroid issue that causes it, which is rather common and can be fixed with proper medication. I plan to get tested for it, maybe it would be something worth looking into, yourself?

I'm not sure why I am always sleepy, but my sister and mother have some sort of thyroid issue that causes it, which is rather common and can be fixed with proper medication. I plan to get tested for it, maybe it would be something worth looking into, yourself?

Thank you :)

Catfish, everything in your post is the exact same thing I am thinking. No doubt about it. Much more awake senses, a higher level of functioning. I too never feel rested when I sleep. Sometimes when I sleep all day then it feels like I am getting rest, but that is rare.

New Threads

Top Bottom