• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies: Atypical or Advanced Vocabulary?

Hmmm...I'm not sure if my vocabulary is atypical. Sometimes people comment on it, but I can't see it.
How eloquently I speak is usually related to how clear my mind is, if that makes any sense. Which fluctuates quite a bit.

A lot of people do note that it's characteristic of me to just make up words to describe something. I wonder if that's related.

Hmmm...I'm not sure if my vocabulary is atypical. Sometimes people comment on it, but I can't see it.
How eloquently I speak is usually related to how clear my mind is, if that makes any sense. Which fluctuates quite a bit.

A lot of people do note that it's characteristic of me to just make up words to describe something. I wonder if that's related.

Made up words are... awesome View attachment 1318

I think I use medium size complicated words. I think my brain knows more than I do cause as I'm writing something some big word will come to mind and I'll look up the meaning and it fits with what I'm writing! Go figure. I admit I've had to look up some of the words that some of you have used on this site, but I find it refreshing and I've learned some things.

I've always used an 'advanced' vocabulary as its been called. I used to get teased or mocked or just receive blank stares from people but I'm a terrible speller so my writing is either illegible due to errors on my bi words or I dumb it down and sound nothing like myself. I've been trying to use more typical and normal words and expressions but it doesn't always come out right and I don't know a lot but I try to dumb it down in regular conversations but start an argument with me and I'll use so many big words you'll loose complete track of what I'm saying. It's my tactic to win arguments.

I use some atypical vocabulary. I remember confusing my grade 3 teacher who once told me that I spoke like a university professor.

I dont think i have a bigger vocabulary than most. I just want people to understand exactly what i am literally trying to convey to them. Like saying 'I'm so very upset right now" gets the point across but "Im apoplectic!" just seems to convey that better. I will also sometimes put the emphasis on the wrong syllables. I have been doing that a lot intentionally lately, i don't know why.

I will also sometimes put the emphasis on the wrong syllables. I have been doing that a lot intentionally lately, i don't know why.

For me that's usually indicative of my native dialect popping up. Having moved around a lot I used to think I outgrew it...but it's still there.

So when I was finishing up part of my testing for AS the other day, the speech therapist brought it to my attention that I have a very atypical vocabulary. I use some big words, bigger than necessary to convey my ideas. I read that a more advanced vocabulary is sometimes observed in Asperger personality types. They're not usually difficult words most people don't know. They are just more syllables than are necessary. Even if people didn't know the definition, how bad is that? As Faulkner once said about Hemingway, "He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary". Would it kill them to learn a new word. Granted they can't look it up in the dictionary when they are talking with me, but still . . .
What can you guys say about AS vocabularies? I've noticed I like to repeat certain words too! Anything about that
I embrace my talents and capabilities as an autistic person. I love describing with concise descriptions, using words that are not only decisive but also convey special skills. Writing to me is an art form. When I am tired I often do not put in as much effort, but when wide awake and enjoying the subject those skills can shine. I think that the more words I learn the better. I often look up new words, and there was this article about a leader, from long ago, that very accurately described some criminals that I know. Used such eloquent words, it was a pleasure to read and I had to go to the dictionary many times to learn them. But that was great.

I have an insanely exhaustive vocabulary, always have.
As a child I read a massive amount of books and I guess this affected my vocabulary. Less and less people are reading books these days, particularly people my age.

I'm currently working on the chapter of a fanfiction, and I've noticed, throughout, that I frequently use unnecessarily advanced words to describe certain things when a shorter word that a lot more people would understand (without looking it up on Google) would suffice just as well. See? There it is again! But, in all seriousness, at one point I was describing a clear sky; I could've used the word "blue" or "azure", but instead, I used cerulean.

At another point, at the end of a piece of dialogue, you always put "character said/asked/shouted" or whatever to show who's speaking. The word "asked" could've worked, but I chose "inquired". At yet another point, there was more dialogue that the word "shocked" or "suprised" could've worked in. Guess what word I chose instead? Disconcerted. Dis-freakin'-concerted! That's not a word people use in everyday speech, that's something you say to look smarter in front of strangers!

I've even used words that I hardly know the actual meaning of until I look it up and find out that it does, in fact, mean what I thought it did. But still... One variation is going out of my way to write a descriptive version of an action or sound when a single, short word would've fit much better. One of the characters sighed, and I could've just said that. I could've just said "she sighed". Instead, I wrote that she "exhaled sharply". Because potatoes.

Before you suggest that I simply go back and change it if it bothers me so much, take this into account: it doesn't bother me as much as I'm letting on. On a few occasions, I've actually gone back and traded out my advanced vocabulary for normal, everyday words that more people will understand; I once read a fanfic absolutely filled with advanced terminology (not words/phrases) and half the comments were complaining about how his advanced vocab made the story darn near unreadable. I try to take that fact into account, but when I do change it and read through the sentence or paragraph again, I find that it feels or sounds... off. To me, and only me more than likely. Why? I have no frikkin clue, it just feels right to me, even if it means no-one will understand what the heck I'm trying to say.

I have a feeling this is an autism/Asperger's thing. I recall reading (somewhere) that people on the Spectrum have a tendency to use more advanced vocabulary that neurotypicals do. Is that true? Do any of you guys and gals have this problem (or a similar one)? What's your opinion on this matter? Should people with this habit try harder to use "normal" words for everyone else's sake? Does that add anything to your writing or does it just make it look like you're trying too hard?

That is all. Have a grandiose day, everyone! :)

Last edited:
Sounds like every book I write, the language is "unique", or so my beta readers told me. I've just decided to use the strangest descriptives I can think of to make the reading as interesting as possible. Like the sky is like "carrots aflame" or something like that, generally I use different descriptives depending on the mood I'm trying to set. I have a lot of arbitrary rules like that though, like how I cannot use the same word twice on a page, sometimes even a chapter or more after the word was used! Cannot use the same descriptive twice in my generally 80 thousand + word novels, and cannot have a single character who is named who does not at least have some backstory, and every monster must be unique. I've used Fillipino mythos, Chinese, Japanese, Hungarian, German, you name it, I've likely done it. The work though! :confused: I kind of love it...

Aspies/Auties do tend to have a much more expansive vocabulary than NTs.
A common characteristic of Aspies is a high IQ or above-average intelligence.

I don't think that we should try to simplify our vocabularies so NTs can understand us better, the advanced vocabulary is just a part of being on the spectrum and we should not have to change who we are or our mannerisms for the convenience of others.

I've been made fun of because of my vocabulary, though it was worse when I was a child. I can't really help it though, and given the fact that I can't always describe how I'm feeling, I can damn well elucidate what I'm seeing, using as much descriptive language as I want!

Sounds like every book I write, the language is "unique", or so my beta readers told me. I've just decided to use the strangest descriptives I can think of to make the reading as interesting as possible. Like the sky is like "carrots aflame" or something like that, generally I use different descriptives depending on the mood I'm trying to set.
LOL That's just bizarre, but I'm guilty of it too. I once defined a sky, while the Sun was setting, like this: "The sky was as red as the blood spilt beneath it." Pretty grim, that's for sure.

I have a lot of arbitrary rules like that though, like how I cannot use the same word twice on a page, sometimes even a chapter or more after the word was used! Cannot use the same descriptive twice in my generally 80 thousand + word novels, and cannot have a single character who is named who does not at least have some backstory, and every monster must be unique.
Right now, I still mainly write fanfiction, so I can't really relate to that last part. But about the first half, that defines me to a tee! Sometimes I'll do it subconsciously while writing and, when I go back to proof-read it, I'll often delete it altogether or replace it with something I found in an online thesaurus.

I try not to use vocabulary that is uncommon as it may not be as well understood. When communicating I try to be as clear as possible. Sometimes this is difficult without writing a long piece and taking a good amount of time to do so, so I may cut corners. Generally, I care more about the content than the style.

New Threads

Top Bottom