• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies and Sarcasm

Something about how sarcasm veils to some degree the true emotions and impressions behind what I say makes me think I sarcast in an aspie way. Oh, I have a terrible time reading other people's sarcasm, and my trouble isn't picking up on the sarcasm but being absolutely sure it's sarcasm and moving on. I need some sort of "that was sarcasm" cue

I'm a bit in the middle I suppose. Plenty of times I pick it up and people would assume that in my everyday speak I'm fluent in sarcasm. I guess I'm better in applying it than understanding, lol.

Also; I've merged this thread with another one. There already was a thread on sarcasm.

I like sarcasm in the point of view that it is an interesting linguistic tool which expands the universe (cause I believe language expands the universe as it only exists of what an individual can think of).

I happen to be sarcastic myself. When it comes to others, I can pick it up many times depending on the tone, but other times it just flies right over my head. The person has to tell me that he or she was not being serious.

I'm occasionally gently sarcastic, I treat it with care because I can't always tell if I've gone over the top and hurt someones feelings.
I often miss it coming my way also, unless the voice tone is obvious - similar to dry humour.. takes me a while to process and get it.

I cannot process sarcasm consistently so I try to refrain from it.

If someone throws it my way, odds are it won't go over well with me. It is what it is...

I grasp sarcasm pretty well, often using it myself. The problem comes from understanding the appropriate time to use or avoid it, and how to receive it from others without being emotionally crushed or stressed.

I love sarcasm. :) Well, I love being sarcastic; but apparently I'm hopeless at picking up on others sarcasm. I didn't think I had a problem, because there are times when I do see it...but apparently those few times make up about 10% of the amount of sarcasm that people direct at me (family, friends).

Im extremely sarcastic but usually with a completely straight face so everyone takes me seriously and probably take offence, plenty of awkward moments sometimes :p
When others are sarcastic though I'm pretty slow at picking up on it as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom