• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies and bad time perception?

Can't tell you how many times I've done that...burned the food I finally made myself start preparing! And I can't stand burned food, so sometimes I just miss a meal when that happens.

I recognize that I have a very poor perception of time, so I always set alarms after alarms and make sure I am extremely early to any appointment. Sigh. It's a lot of waiting :) I have bad estimation skills on top of that, so I'm not good at estimating how long it takes to get from one place to another.

I was just wondering about this. I forget to eat or don't even realize I have to go to the bathroom when I'm hyper focused. When I snap out of it hunger is intense and I feel sick. I'm late a lot so I need to set several alarms to be on time. I don't know how long things are going to take me. It can be frustrating.

I have bad estimation skills on top of that, so I'm not good at estimating how long it takes to get from one place to another.
I do tend to lose track of time - I'll get engrossed in something and the next thing I know it's midnight, and I haven't even eaten!
I hadn't considered estimating before, but I'm pretty awful at it. Whether it's the time to get home or to wash the car, I'm absolutely hopeless.

Strangely enough, I am a punctual person by nature and yet, my time perception is way off track, so much so, that I forget I am cooking and that is actually being in the same room!

I hate "roughly time"; I need exact times to feel ok. So when people say: oh I shall be there around such a such, I have to ask them to be more exact and lol I do watch my watch and get frustrated if they are one second late ( this is all in my head though).

For me, it's like when I'm "inside" (as I phrase it) time is irrelevant and unnoticed. So a week might seem like a couple days to me, or a month like a week. My doctor gave me some antidepressant (I forget the name) which worked for keeping track of time, but after a few months I realized all I was doing was sitting and crying all the time. I stopped taking the pills. I may lose some time now, but at least I'm not in a continual state of catharsis.

I've slowly been given the name "atomic clock" by friends, lol. It's not entirely justified since I'm not that precise, but ask me the time at any given day, and 9 out of 10 times I'm less than 5 minutes off.

I've woken up in the middle of the night, pitch black room and said to myself "it's 3:30 now"... only reach for my phone, check the time and I was right. Clearly, if I'd be doing it by orientation and position of the sun, there's some "science" to it.

My ex-girlfriend often got freaked out over it because I had such a good sense of time to where she didn't even bother checking her phone anymore for the time. Still, it she felt a bit distraught plenty of times

The funny thing with me is that whenever daylight savings time hits; I'm off for about an hour.. for the next week. Funny how that works...

It's not entirely justified since I'm not that precise, but ask me the time at any given day, and 9 out of 10 times I'm less than 5 minutes off.

I've woken up in the middle of the night, pitch black room and said to myself "it's 3:30 now"... only reach for my phone, check the time and I was right.

I'm not that precise, but I can usually hit within a half hour, even in the middle of the night. (I got pretty good at that when waking up to feed one baby or another over the past decade, lol). And if I've checked the time within the past hour or so, I can hit more closely.

But like others on this thread, I'm terrible at estimating how long it will take me to do something. I'm perpetually late to just about any event (and doesn't help that I'm usually procrastinating having to go anyway, lol).

So, yesterday i got back from an university travel and called my parents to pick me up, and since i knew they wasn't in home (and the street was kinda empty), i go wait on a place with more people around. I sit on a chair and put my stuff on the floor. When they arrive, my father got down the car, he seems upset and asked me how long i've been waiting, i said about 10 minutes because i was tired and MY TIME PERCEPTION WAS ALWAYS AWFUL. Long story short, my mom and dad was all the way home fighting about how much time i was waiting because my dad took so long to pick me up as dad keeps saying that i said that was only 10 minutes (luckily there was the phone messages i've send to my mother as prove. It took around one hour for them pick me up).
i was far for three days, i was tired and when i get home there was fight. Turns out i had what you can call a shutdown moment (i did this on my room, on private).
Since i dont have a autism diagnosis and little chances to get one, i would like to know if a bad perception of the time is an aspect of autism.

It would appear that you, like so many others, believe you perceive that which our science knows not what, and by that I mean "time" itself. Time "a very stubborn, but persistent illusion" A. Einstein
Am I in error, what do you really think?

New Threads

Top Bottom