• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspie with opposite traits?

zylon

Although I have an official DX of aspie, and my condition is as far from NT as anyone, I still feel that I do not fit in, even as aspie. A large part of the reason is that, although I know that this is a "spectrum" condition, some of my traits are not just non-aspie, but are actually the extreme opposite. (an example of a condition with an opposite trait could be someone diagnosed with, say, Down's syndrome, who has an IQ of 160. Yes, that is possible!)

One example in me would be that in Asperger, they say concrete intelligence tends to be higher than abstract intelligence, but in me, my abstract intelligence is so much higher than my concrete intelligence as to be a social problem of its own; However, although Albert Einstein's abstract intelligence was abnormally high, he is still considered a possible aspie.

Another would be that, according to one source, an Aspie would find it easier to show love by buying a gift than by giving close affection, while I am the extreme opposite of that.

Is there anyone here who has a trait which is the opposite of Aspie?

It's just a baseline Zylon, something to measure from and test for, it's not absolutely concrete as far as I'm concerned. They had to come up with 'common' traits to consider, but it's an ideal. Few people will fit all the criteria exactly, and females especially deviate from the standard. It's all environment, neurology and genetics. Every Aspie is different.

I fit a higher than average number of Aspie traits BUT I have most of them more mildly than other Aspies I know (N.B. I am not formally diagnosed yet, as I am in the assessment process). I don't totally understand the difference between concrete and abstract intelligence but if it is what I think it is, then I have higher abstract intelligence too.

New Threads

Top Bottom