• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers Syndrome and Martial Arts

sam873

Hi there,

Sam here. First time being on a fourm.

I was diagnosed with AS at around 5 years of age. I am 22 now. I guess it is good that I got told early on.

All i want to know if anyone has done a form of Martial art with AS weather it be a friend, family member or yourself.

I am really looking to get into Jiujitsu.

I feel like this is the next step for me in life.

I've been playing drums for almost 20 years and i feel like doing a martial art would help me in so many ways.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on what is best.

thanks for reading.

I enjoyed boxing...probably too much lol. I never received instruction and never participated in public competition thanks to social anxiety and performance anxiety but I was rather good at it. It was a great outlet for all of the aggression that was normally hidden away.

It is a worth while venture for many reasons. Many people like the outlet for pent up energy, many others enjoy it for the discipline.

For a short period I did Judo, Taekwondo and Pencak Silat (not all at once though), but I just didn't like the social aspect of joining clubs and caused me to not perform that well on the actual disciplines.

My parents didn't let me join because of self-defense (despite extensive bullying in my childhood) but because I had a lot of pent up anger. Martial arts didn't help either, since after sparring and training I was bursting with even more energy and anger. It would seem that what they deemed as "anger" was my neutral, lol.

Boxing as a teen, but I think I fall into the performance anxiety category as I could only really spar with the person I attended with (a friend at the time) and one of the older trainers
I think it did help unload alot of anger, probably something I am missing as an adult but can't really pursue anymore (my health is on a decline)

I tried boxing as a kid but was rubbish at it, so I joined a karate class which was more 'suited' to my mental approach. Got into Tai Chi and it has kept me going for many years now.

I'd love to do martial arts. But I can't make up my mind what type of martial arts I should go for.. Maybe KungFu, Karate or Taekwondo.

Another problem for me would be the fact that this is so far out of my comfort zone. I can only imagine the cramps I get before training. :(

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with AS at around 5 years of age. I am 22 now. I guess it is good that I got told early on.

All i want to know if anyone has done a form of Martial art with AS weather it be a friend, family member or yourself.

I've been playing drums for almost 20 years and i feel like doing a martial art would help me in so many ways.

thanks for reading.

That is a good plan. Choosing "obsessions"(or what will become an obsession) that are of the sort that there will always be more to strive toward, is the way to do the thing "right". If the goal line can always be placed back further, then there is no reason that you would, necessarily, ever get bored with it and move onto something else. Instead, this allows for the possibility of becoming a true master at something, which is definitely the way to go.

Hi there,

thanks for reading.

If you are into drums, then maybe you should look into capoeira. Anyways, I too am into boxing, it's interesting that so many here are into it too. It is a good way to let the frustrations of the world out.

I used to be a competition judo fighter. Practising judo helped me in a lot of ways that may help you too:
  • It gave me more self-confidence
  • It allowed me vent emotions that I couldn't vent any other way
  • It helped me when I was physically bullied in school
  • I was taught patience and a lot of self-control.
I think practising a martial art is good. It gives you skills and goals to work on and achievements to strive for.

i use it to socially,but physically prepare for potentially awkward social encounters between myself and random groups of girls with the potential to come across me upon eye contact flirting with me :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: thinking that i’m cute :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:.i also use it to fight the social oppression of aspies like me.

Last edited:
I tried boxing as a kid but was rubbish at it, so I joined a karate class which was more 'suited' to my mental approach. Got into Tai Chi and it has kept me going for many years now.

Kyokushin is the purest form of Karate because the fighters & practitioners alike hit hard & kick hard,but physically train hard.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom