• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lulu

Hi. For awhile, I've been wondering if I have some symptoms of very mild autism/aspergers syndrome, or if this is just lifelong social anxiety/social ineptitude. I've never seen a psychiatrist about this.

- When I was little, I was very untalkative and people often made comments about it. I didn't want to socialize or make friends. In daycare and school I would isolate myself from others, sit in the corner or cry. They would send me to the counselor almost every day. I also had hobbies that I would rather do than go to school or have friends. I often skipped school. I really wanted to be alone all the time, and this has not changed one bit.

- I've always done or said socially awkward things without realizing it until much later on. I can now look back at the past and realize that people were laughing at me, not with me, and that I was a "social idiot" who was oblivious to my own weird behavior.

- Even as a young adult now, I still struggle with socializing. It makes me uncomfortable to look people in the eye, and I don't know how to socialize smoothly. When I attempt to mingle with people, I fail.

- My dad seems to have traits that *might* be described as autistic-like, I'm not sure.. such as not understanding certain social cues, at times lack of empathy or understanding for others, consuming himself in his interests, and he's liked taking things apart since he was a baby. Apparently he would always take his crib apart.

- I grew up near a highway and a large refinery, was bottle fed microwaved formula, and had an unhealthy diet in childhood (I may be wrong, but I think I recall reading that these were risk factors)

- This probably doesn't matter, but I took a long online quiz, and it told me "you are very likely an aspie" (not that I would think an online test means an official diagnosis)

Last edited:
Sounds like you've come to the right place. You may find you have a great deal in common with the rest of us.

Welcome to AC.

From a layperson's perspective, it's entirely possible you're on the autism spectrum, but the only way to be especially sure is to see a professional.

No matter what, though, you're welcome here. :)

What they said! Your post sounds like what I went through, and I wondered about it for 7 years. I do NOT advise doing that, heh. I have yet to see a doctor, but I have diagnosed myself after further evaluation. A few years ago, I thought it was just social things, but I recently made a list of the symptoms I didn't think I had and tackled it like a science project, trying to disprove it. What I found, though, was that I had every symptom, I just didn't recognize them in myself, and that's when all my doubts disappeared and I told myself it was OK to finally see a doctor (though now I honestly don't feel I need to, but I am well into adulthood. As an adolescent, I feel it would benefit you more). Perhaps serious self evaluation is something you could attempt, even if it's just to help quash your doubts and be confident in speaking to a doctor about your symptoms. Best of luck!

What's tricky about this is that social anxiety and aspergers have a lot in common, or you could have been aspergers and that built up to a social anxiety. However, you did mention that you can go out to people, just have had a lot of bad luck. So based on what little I know (I'm not a professional in this field, but I do have to work with others who might be considered sped), it is more likely are aspergers rather than having social anxiety. If you are specifically afraid of being around people for the sake of being around people, then you would be socially anxious. If you are somewhere in-between, it's harder to tell. Truly, the best person who would know all of this is you. Others can be there to help, but they have to really be able to know and understand you well enough. Whatever the case, try not to let these (potential) labels hold you back. Take things as slowly as can, but focus on growth and development. Also keep in mind that all is not right with the world, and it's not always you or just you, but more a matter of dealing with the situation itself.

You should get tested so a professional can evaluate your situation. I made a post giving a bit of information of how my test went. He has to talk to my mom on the phone for 15 minutes first for some reason, but wouldn't tell me why or what he thought up to this point of the assessment, so the diagnosis is still unofficial.

If you really are dying to know, a test for diagnosis is really the only way, otherwise you'll just have to say you suspect it and do some informal self-diagnosis through tests and research on the internet and some books as I have done thus far.

Hi. For awhile, I've been wondering if I have some symptoms of very mild autism/aspergers syndrome, or if this is just lifelong social anxiety/social ineptitude. I've never seen a psychiatrist about this.

- When I was little, I was very untalkative and people often made comments about it. I didn't want to socialize or make friends. In daycare and school I would isolate myself from others, sit in the corner or cry. They would send me to the counselor almost every day. I also had hobbies that I would rather do than go to school or have friends. I often skipped school. I really wanted to be alone all the time, and this has not changed one bit.

- I've always done or said socially awkward things without realizing it until much later on. I can now look back at the past and realize that people were laughing at me, not with me, and that I was a "social idiot" who was oblivious to my own weird behavior.

- Even as a young adult now, I still struggle with socializing. It makes me uncomfortable to look people in the eye, and I don't know how to socialize smoothly. When I attempt to mingle with people, I fail.

- My dad seems to have traits that *might* be described as autistic-like, I'm not sure.. such as not understanding certain social cues, at times lack of empathy or understanding for others, consuming himself in his interests, and he's liked taking things apart since he was a baby. Apparently he would always take his crib apart.

- I grew up near a highway and a large refinery, was bottle fed microwaved formula, and had an unhealthy diet in childhood (I may be wrong, but I think I recall reading that these were risk factors)

- This probably doesn't matter, but I took a long online quiz, and it told me "you are very likely an aspie" (not that I would think an online test means an official diagnosis)
you definitely came to the right place

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom