• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and Marijuana

Agreed, though you also have the option of growing your own, so you know exactly which strain works for your condition.. the info is out there.
I have grown for over 10 years and nothing has been so delightful as moving back here to Colorado and checking out all the strains and finding out what benefits are to be had , if any from all that I may try. I may grow again if I find one or two magical strains , but I love the candy store. I am an aspy but I have been a Marijuana Connoisseur for about 40 years. Which is also how long I have been using it as an anti anxiety med at least according to my Doctor. Homegrown is way better than street pot but quality MMJ grown by botanists is well MMJ grown by plant scientists. Ya gotta love science.

Until there are agreed upon industry standards you will not be able to just get seeds and grow the right strain-strains for you, this will change. Right now here they are starting to test dispensary strains but not all strains are tested yet and the data isn't always provided and as always just cause someone says its Blue Dream. So until industry standards are such that you can buy a clone of Blue Dream that is the same as all Blue Dreams and will produce x different cannabinoids under good conditions. And you will buy clones as seeds do not breed true. I will go to the candy store and ask for data - my candy store tests all flowers.

And the info out there is very contradictory

If its not medical grade MMJ its not medicine

Last edited:
Haha, I dream of leaving this mundane place that I live. Everyone is the same, I want to go to a place with people who are different, like me. I guess this forum is as close as I can get!

Come to Seattle! Land of the techies and subsequently tons of Aspies;).

Come to Seattle! Land of the techies and subsequently tons of Aspies;).
Seattle land of the 1" of rain that takes 24 hours to hit the ground Seattle may not get the most inches of rain but it probably has the most drizzley dreary hours of rain of any big city - but having lived in both wa and co they both pretty much beat everywhere else vis-a-vis smart people good views and good MMJ ( but co does have its political s**t more together re: MMJ):cool::sunglasses:

Seattle land of the 1" of rain that takes 24 hours to hit the ground Seattle may not get the most inches of rain but it probably has the most drizzley dreary hours of rain of any big city - but having lived in both wa and co they both pretty much beat everywhere else vis-a-vis smart people good views and good MMJ ( but co does have its political s**t more together re: MMJ):cool::sunglasses:
Haha - yep we get a good share of clouds. I love it here, though. You just have to really take advantage of the Summers. There's also a thriving Aspie social group here. It's been really great to connect with my proverbial tribe.

You really should study MMJ a bit more before making blanket statements. Not everyone benefits from medibles. And as far as being carcinogenic well---
Cannabis and tobacco smoke are not equally carcinogenic
"More people are using the cannabis plant as modern basic and clinical science reaffirms and extends its medicinal uses. Concomitantly, concern and opposition to smoked medicine has occurred, in part due to the known carcinogenic consequences of smoking tobacco. Are these reactions justified? While chemically very similar, there are fundamental differences in the pharmacological properties between cannabis and tobacco smoke. Cannabis smoke contains cannabinoids whereas tobacco smoke contains nicotine. Available scientific data, that examines the carcinogenic properties of inhaling smoke and its biological consequences, suggests reasons why tobacco smoke, but not cannabis smoke, may result in lung cancer."
National Center for Biotechnology Information

I know its a crappy citation but its something -
follow the thread its an eyeopener even makes me feel better about smoking joints, but I love my Herbie the herbalizer(vape)

You really should study MMJ a bit more before making blanket statements. Not everyone benefits from medibles. And as far as being carcinogenic well---
Cannabis and tobacco smoke are not equally carcinogenic
"More people are using the cannabis plant as modern basic and clinical science reaffirms and extends its medicinal uses. Concomitantly, concern and opposition to smoked medicine has occurred, in part due to the known carcinogenic consequences of smoking tobacco. Are these reactions justified? While chemically very similar, there are fundamental differences in the pharmacological properties between cannabis and tobacco smoke. Cannabis smoke contains cannabinoids whereas tobacco smoke contains nicotine. Available scientific data, that examines the carcinogenic properties of inhaling smoke and its biological consequences, suggests reasons why tobacco smoke, but not cannabis smoke, may result in lung cancer."

I know its a crappy citation but its something -
follow the thread its an eyeopener even makes me feel better about smoking joints, but I love my Herbie the herbalizer(vape)
There are now studies that show a 20% increase in lung capacity in Asthmatics who smoke cannabis; it's also widely accepted now that it's the tobacco, not the weed, that is carcinogenic. So, a pipe, water pipe, vapouriser or eating it-in food or tincture obviously cut out the tobacco completely.
As far as I'm concerned though, it alleviates most of my difficulties and makes my life easier (I dont't need to take enough to get stoned either), so the risks are inconsequential when compared with SSRI's, vallium, etc.

There are now studies that show a 20% ....

Spiller, valid points please cite somehow - it keeps the chanters at bay
I think I encountered that somewhere just don't recollect where.

I don't have to use enough to catch a buzz either but I like a buzz, but then I don't use couchlock strains.

I learned early in my life from asthma that all Rx's are suspect and can do more harm than good they used to prescribe me drugs containing ephedrine behaves like meth, yeah at 16 years old Dr.s' prescribing friggin speed.
So I avoid Rx's as much as possible. Interesting side effect - because of avoidance when I do need to take an antibiotic it works.
I am not immune like all the people who have used so many Rx's they don't work well.

Yes all Rx's are much scarier than anything discovered about MMJ. And with the money spent trying to demonize it if there was anything even mildly dangerous to life it would be echoed around the world by the chanters.

Now finally almost all the research being done is about how to use all these neat cannabinoid compounds medically and really good stuff is happening. I don't feel obliged to cite "stuff" everyone just google "MMJ Studies" and find your own "stuff"

now back to some SFV OG in my herbie

Haha - yep we get a good share of clouds. I love it here, though. You just have to really take advantage of the Summers. There's also a thriving Aspie social group here. It's been really great to connect with my proverbial tribe.
yeah I remember summer in B'ham the day it broke 90 the next day fall started and 2 days before that spring ended. But I guess that makes up for the 4-5 days of snow they call winter in B'ham, hell even the "snowmen" are full of mud and dry grass never saw a white snowman in B'ham.

I tried the aspie group here boorrriiiinnngg. I may be an aspie that doesn't mean I can't have a 'normal' life.
I refuse to be intimidated by the NT world. I will go and do all the things (museums, zoos, theater.......) that are out there to do.
I may have to be buzzed to cope with it but that sure beats the hell out of becoming a hermit. Thats my hero Winston
DSC00212.JPG

I tried the aspie group here boorrriiiinnngg. I may be an aspie that doesn't mean I can't have a 'normal' life.
View attachment 11391
Yeah, most of my friends are NTs, and I do pretty well at parties etc these days. I think it's really important to keep myself immersed in the NT social arena so my skills don't get rusty.

That's so interesting that your group was boring. I go to a social gathering that happens once a month, and always have a great time. I love how the conversations dive deep quickly, and I'm always learning about some random, fascinating topic. I find Aspies way more fun, but maybe that's just the group dynamic here. Sorry to hear yours was disappointing.

Been doing weed as well, and results depends on company.
There was a period when it was uplifting and I could enjoy life, but after a while, I just space-out and recycle all the bad things that had happened to me in my life, followed by deep self-hatred.

Finding it funny in way, just sitting there, on the couch for an extended period of time insulting myself.

I agree with Arashi. People with depression don't have the right chemical balance in their brain. The anti depresant makes the chemical balance better. Some people would suffer greatley dealing with depression without meds. I'm not crazy about drugs of any kind either. Most of them arn't the best for us but sometimes taking something is a better option than not. I went threw a 'health nut' spell when I didn't take any drug whatsoever for a period of over three years. I ended up being able to controle, heal, cure, and manage every single issue my family came upon in that time period without drugs. No one in my family required even an antibiotic. This ended up changeing when I had a major life crices (not health related) and lost my focus on this lifestyle. Eliminateing drugs and still being healthy and manageing conditions is possable (in a lot of cases) but it's not for everyone. It takes LOTS of focus, determination, lots of studying and some amount of money becouse the remidies you will need won't be convered by insurance like your prescriptions will. You can't just say that people shouldn't take drugs. For some people their prescription is the only way they have or know to take care of their condition and it would be worse it they didn't take it. ANd if they choose to go off meds and go for natural alternitives they can't just think it's as easy as stoping the meds. There are a lot of other things they will have to do instead of the drug. It is a TOTAL lifestyle change and everybody just can't do that.

Unfortunately, here in the States, the insurance companies are quite reluctant to pay for CBT, DBT or even ABA, even those those therapies have been proven, over time, to be more effective than psychotropic medications. Unfortunately, with the dawn of evidence-based medicine, insurance companies have even less incentive to pay up for talk therapy.

I'm not saying that evidence-based medicine is all bad. If I break my arm, it's rather obvious what the solution would be. If I develop diabetes (which I actually do have), eventually I end up on insulin (and I actually am on 2 forms of insulin, being that I have an issue with insulin resistance). I remember all too well the hell I went through with different types of statins, which, while it reduced my HDL levels slightly, did nothing to help my metabolism. It wasn't until I was put on niacin therapy that my HDL and LDL level began to normalize.

My big beef with behavioral health and evidence based medicine is that nobody in behavioral health even bothered to ask what was going on in my personal life. I nearly ended up in the locked ward at a local hospital 15 years because my PCP at the time, who was a first year resident when I a meltdown in her office during a routine visit to follow up on my diabetes, thought I was going to commit suicide. Killing myself was did not even enter my mind when that happened. Pressure was starting to mount on me: the only work I could find was delivering pizza, I was taking care of an invalid mother, I was catching all sorts of hell from my brothers for living at home with mom (including my next to youngest brother, who was also living at home, and contributing next to nothing to help out with the household expenses), being taken advantage of by my fellow coworkers, having to rob Peter to pay Paul (I was bouncing checks all over the place in order to put gas in Mom's car, to perform simple maintenance on her car to keep it running properly, acting as Mom's chauffeur (as she was ordered by her PCP to stop driving). But did anyone in behavioral health ever bothered to ask what was going on? HELL, NO. I was given a prescription for both Celexa and Buspar, and sent on my merry way, and was assigned a psychiatrist, with an appointment for 3 months from that time. I was never offered the services of a psychologist, although I was scheduled for group therapy, which only lasted 2 sessions, when the therapist running the group had a massive heart attack. It wasn't until 3 years ago that I finally got a psychologist, after being tested for ASD.

Finally, the whole Idea that depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain is pure bulls***. The chemical imbalance theory is nothing more than marketing spin developed by Pfizer to sell Zoloft. If there is a chemical imbalance to depression, it certainly isn't in the brain. It is known that a malfunctioning thyroid will cause depression, as well as hormonal imbalance. It is also known that environmental forces, such as extreme stress that is unrelenting, with no kind of release, will cause depression. As I have said in other forums, psychotropic medications are not a magic bullet. A lot of us, on the spectrum or NT, should not be on them, except maybe as a last resort.

Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

Finally, the whole Idea that depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain is pure bulls***. The chemical imbalance theory is nothing more than marketing spin developed by Pfizer to sell Zoloft. If there is a chemical imbalance to depression, it certainly isn't in the brain. It is known that a malfunctioning thyroid will cause depression, as well as hormonal imbalance. It is also known that environmental forces, such as extreme stress that is unrelenting, with no kind of release, will cause depression.
It's true that environmental factors, as well as other conditions, can cause depression. However, your claim that the problem "isn't in the brain" is, in many cases, against all the scientific evidence. No, antidepressants are not a "magic bullet," but they do have their use...and that use may not necessarily be a last resort. If an SSRI is effective, which it may or may not be (results vary considerably from person to person) it can give just enough of a boost for the person to be able to work on their issues and develop coping mechanisms. Yes, the pharmaceutical industry engages in some pretty shady practices, and they do tend to jump on these things, but to call it "nothing more than a marketing spin" is disingenuous and a bit too broad a conspiracy to claim.

But I do understand where you are coming from, and I am sorry you had to deal with all that BS, and in no way am I trying to belittle it...in fact, I can relate in many ways. And I hear far too many stories of such things happening, and it drives people away from seeking help when there is legitimate and effective help out there...it's just way too hard to find these days. Believe me, I know. It just so happened that I had people around me who refused to let me give up.

All that said, SSRIs DO have their dangers, and I am living proof of that. I don't think PCPs have any business prescribing them, or any other psychoactive drug for that matter. But as I said, for some people, they can prove helpful, and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

It's true that environmental factors, as well as other conditions, can cause depression. However, your claim that the problem "isn't in the brain" is, in many cases, against all the scientific evidence. No, antidepressants are not a "magic bullet," but they do have their use...and that use may not necessarily be a last resort. If an SSRI is effective, which it may or may not be (results vary considerably from person to person) it can give just enough of a boost for the person to be able to work on their issues and develop coping mechanisms. Yes, the pharmaceutical industry engages in some pretty shady practices, and they do tend to jump on these things, but to call it "nothing more than a marketing spin" is disingenuous and a bit too broad a conspiracy to claim.

But I do understand where you are coming from, and I am sorry you had to deal with all that BS, and in no way am I trying to belittle it...in fact, I can relate in many ways. And I hear far too many stories of such things happening, and it drives people away from seeking help when there is legitimate and effective help out there...it's just way too hard to find these days. Believe me, I know. It just so happened that I had people around me who refused to let me give up.

All that said, SSRIs DO have their dangers, and I am living proof of that. I don't think PCPs have any business prescribing them, or any other psychoactive drug for that matter. But as I said, for some people, they can prove helpful, and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

I agree with you that SSRI have their dangers. Forest Pharmaceutical's Viibryd was what finally put me on disability.

There have been a small, but growing, group of psychiatrists, such as Dr. Daniel Carlat, Dr. Peter Breggin, Dr. David Healey, Dr. Mark Foster, etc. that have been thinking, for quite some time, the the chemical imbalance in the brain theory, is bunk. You even have Dr. Thomas Insel at the National Institute of Mental Health pretty much stating the DSM is bunk.

For example, let's look at bipolar disorder. Dr. John Grohol, the psychologist that runs PsychCentral.com, states in one of his articles that bipolar disorder used to be pretty rare. Now, with modern psychotropic drugs, it has become pretty common. Bill White, who is a counselor and runs chipur.com, will tell you yes, there is a biological component to bipolar disorder: it's called junk food. I myself has seen enough research lately that states that these psychoactive drugs have done more harm than good, and many of them are less effective than a placebo. If these drugs are not that effective, why are they still being used? A couple of reasons: First, the American public, through slick marketing by PHaRMA in the mass media here in the US, have been conditioned into thinking that these drugs are a magic bullet and a panacea for any and all behavioral health problems. Second, and this problem is more sociological than medical, the American public in general, has been over stressed since the Reagan administration. If you remember Newt Gingrich's Contract with America, it was actually more a contract on America. It used to be, up until the Reagan administration, and Gingrich's time as Speaker of the House, there was an unwritten contract between business and labor. You work hard for a company, show some sort of loyalty, and the employer would take care of you. Since that time, American labor has gotten screwed. The only thing that matters now is the rich keep getting richer, and everyone else can go to hell. There used to be a societal safety net for those of us, who through no fault of our own most of the time, needed those services. Today, it's every man, woman, and child for themselves.

If it's anything that causes depression nowadays, it's the current fsck you attitude that pervades everyday life!

Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

Sure, you get more carcinogens in your lungs, but as long as you aren't smoking 3 grams a day, your lungs will repair themselves. The reason why smoking tobacco is worse for you, is cause when tobacco burns, it creates tar. When this tar gets in your lungs, it restricts their movement.

Any addiction that you have from smoking marijuana, is just the desire to get high because your tolerance increases. It's not a mental health or physical condition, it's just that you want the high, you don't necessarily want the drug.

There was another person who said that growing cannabis is not a natural process. Well... There was a drug bust in the mid-west where the DEA seized hundreds of cannabis seeds. On the way back to their presinct, the door to the back of the transport van opened and all of the seeds began pouring out. There is now a new strain growing on the sides of that road that has evolved to be virtually inpervious to all plant killers that have been using it.

On a personal note, my friend and I are both prescribed marijuana for aspergers. It helps with everything, focus, sleep, anxiety, depression, work ethic, and just makes you feel better overall. It's also been proven to relieve headaches, stomache and intestinal pain, improve eyesight, improve memory, and improve attitude.

As for the person who was saying that they are worried about their husband, just talk to him about it. Let him know that he needs to regulate it or else he WILL **** up his lungs....

Last edited by a moderator:
There are now studies that show a 20% increase in lung capacity in Asthmatics who smoke cannabis; it's also widely accepted now that it's the tobacco, not the weed, that is carcinogenic. So, a pipe, water pipe, vapouriser or eating it-in food or tincture obviously cut out the tobacco completely.
As far as I'm concerned though, it alleviates most of my difficulties and makes my life easier (I dont't need to take enough to get stoned either), so the risks are inconsequential when compared with SSRI's, vallium, etc.

Well all debate aside whether or not anyone should or should not use the drug thc found in weed aside, do not smoke anything, breathing in burnt carbon smoke gives you tar build up in your lunges, which will potentially cause lunge cancer/copd and circulatory issues. Just do not smoke it, if you really want to ingest it eat it or vaporize it and inhale it in an un-burnt state. Carbon based smoke = bad m'kay.

New Threads

Top Bottom