• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and Humour?

I feel like I have a good sense of humor/dry wit/sarcasm, but how well it goes over depends very much on the people around me. I love wordplay, and I also love British humor, but I believe both depend a little more on the intelligence or education level of the listener. I like to say "I followed the destructions" (instead of 'instructions') ... I heard this once when I was 16 and I'm still laughing about it. These days people don't realize I'm making a joke, they just assume that I'm wrong and correct me. Recently I had the chance to come back with "Isn't that what it's called when you do what you're told and it doesn't work?"

When I was in college and in degree'd jobs (not entirely Aspie, but because of my field there was probably a higher % than the general population) puns, wordplay, and dry humor were *very* much enjoyed & appreciated. It was a game we all played, almost like a challenge, to say something straight-faced but thoroughly absurd ... walking a fine line such that if someone's not paying attention to the words they won't understand why everyone's laughing, but not so obscure that no one sees the humor. It kept us all thinking and paying attention, which I felt were important skills.

I'm still working with computers & technology but my last couple of jobs didn't require any college, and the dynamic really shifted (even though some of them had gone to college). A lot of my coworkers seemed desperate to prove their intelligence, so if they got the joke they would assume it's my mistake and become rude & condescending. When I explained that it was a joke, they would become angry & hostile ... then later criticize me for ruining all their fun because I never wanted to joke around. Others wouldn't notice the wordplay or get the joke and I'd just get a blank stare, like cows at a passing train. I never tried to make them feel bad, so I'd just turn back to my desk & work. I never intended to go over anyone's head, I just tend to say what I think is funny. Unfortunately the world around me seems to be losing its sense of humor.

Two quick examples from BBC Radio's Cabin Pressure (one of my recent discoveries, and it's brilliant!) -- Arthur is the flight attendant ... he's sweet & caring, absolutely adorable and I love him ... but when addressing the passengers he'd try to sound more intelligent or educated ... long, complex sentences with long words that weren't really words but made sense, like referring to "the releasement of your seatbelt fastenation." He also once asked "Can I ask a hypocritical question?" It's a great show, I highly recommend it, and I'd love to chat with anyone who's listened.

What I don't get, that seems to be common & acceptable among NTs, is using the 'I was joking' excuse that's supposed to make me feel bad and end the conversation when I've called them out on something. This is a literal example, with absolutely no exaggeration: a few coworkers were discussing a girl who got electrocuted by answering her cell phone while it was plugged in to the charger. Sad, and tragic. I had read the story, and informed them that she had risen from her bath to answer it, which is even more sad and tragic. They didn't believe me (or my reputable source), but being Apple-haters they insisted her death was somehow Apple's fault. I repeated that's what happens when you mix water & electricity, and got the response "I've done research that says only iPhones do that!" It was our job to provide technical support and advice, yet she was spreading blatant & dangerous lies. Water + electricity = danger, regardless of the manufacturer. CrazyPants' version of events: they were having a lighthearted, happy, joking conversation (about a girl who died??) and I intruded and picked a fight because I have no sense of humor. "I was just joking" is the standard trump card used by bullies when they've been caught in a lie or mistake they can't get out of, but refuse to admit.

The punchline: by the time I left that job, they both had purchased iPhones & iPads (but didn't know how to use them -- people working in technology that can't figure out something an infant can use!!)

Secondary punchline: I own (a small amount of) Apple stock. Even if the iPhones/iPads had just sat in their boxes, the purchases still help my bottom line.

I'm still laughing about this. And I'm sure they still don't get the joke.

People have often commented that I am "wry," "dry" or surprisedly (this is almost always men for some reason) blurted out "you're hysterical!" I think it is because I am the one to say what everyone else is thinking. I also don't embarrass. At least not about normal social things that I should. I get socially awkward but I don't embarrass about politeness things, if that makes sense. So if I "have my funny on," I am just on fire and have everyone in stitches. NT men seem to appreciate this more than NT women in general.

I have been known to take it too far because I don't realize I am making someone uncomfortable.

I like stand up comedy. Sometimes I laugh harder at certain jokes than other people around me. They will have stopped laughing and I am doubled over, in tears.

I also laugh really hard at things that weren't meant to be funny - like schadenfreude situations, someone trips or breaks a chair or something unexpected yet hilarious. While others are pretending not to have noticed, or asking if the person is okay, I'm all "BAHAHAHAHA you just made my day! Oh, I mean, are you okay? But BAHAHAHA that was hilarious!"

While my own jokes are very sarcastic in nature, when the tables are turned, I have a hard time reading it unless it's very obvious. I am overly literal.

It depends on what you consider humor. I like jokes that are based on wordplay, including some that others might find politically incorrect or too raunchy. I do not like humor that makes fun of others. Some crude humor is ok, but I don't want a steady diet. I like British humor, dry, stealthy.

Most people who know me think I'm funny. :) I tend to make loads of cheesy jokes all the time, especially to my mum. :D So my sense of humour is pretty fine, I guess.

I react to jokes slowly sometimes even though I get them. I don't know if this is typical or not...
My taste in humor is really horrible!

I know I do. At times I feel people making fun of me. I also get pissed people don't get me to understand the joke.

New Threads

Top Bottom