• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger Movie - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

kg4fxg

Just saw this move and it was very good. Called "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close". The kid has Aspergers but the whole movie is not based on it. Meaning you may see him as normal? Great movie but Aspergers in my opinion is not over done.
B

Description

Here is a description.

A nine-year-old amateur inventor, Francophile, and pacifist searches New York City for the lock that matches a mysterious key left behind by his father, who died in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

Oskar (Thomas Horn) is convinced that his father (Tom Hanks), who died in the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center, has left a final message for him hidden somewhere in the city. Feeling disconnected from his grieving mother (Sandra Bullock) and driven by a relentlessly active mind that refuses to believe in things that can't be observed, Oskar begins searching New York City for the lock that fits a mysterious key he found in his father's closet. His journey through the five boroughs takes him beyond his own loss to a greater understanding of the observable world around him. -- (C) Warner Bros

It is also a novel.

When I saw the title a few months ago I was thinking "this is Autism related." Then I saw it was about 9/11 and decided I was being self-absorbed.
Is there nudity in it? If not, I want to see it at some point.

When I saw the title a few months ago I was thinking "this is Autism related."

That's what I thought as well. Then I read the 9/11 tie-in and I was like... so what is the movie about? And reading a short synopsis from it... I don't know. Might check it out sometime.

No nudity I really hate that when it is in there. And really not much about 911 either. His Dad died in 911 in one of the buildings, small part. The whole story is about the kid with Aspergers who finds a key from a vase in his Dad's closet. After his Dad is gone no one removes any of his Dad's things from that room. His Grandma lives across the street and has a renter who does not speak. They (Kid and Renter) set out on a journey to find the lock the key belongs too.

I guess what I like in my opinion is that it is not over the top. He has some sensory issues and is very methodical as the key was in an envelope with the name Black. So he looks up all the people with the last name Black and sets out to visit them. I won't give anymore away but it is one of those movies where the title is not what I would have called it. Only once does he tell someone he was tested for Aspergers and that is all.

I hope this helps. I would say also it does have a happy ending so no fear it will leave you in tears.
B

Hell if something could leave me in tears at least I would know I'm human.

I'll have to wait for it to come out on DVD, boyfriend doesn't go to movies.

I really like this film, it shows the little boy as really capable and shows some positive attributes of aspergers(like his organisation, problem solving skills, logical thinking).Hes on a quest and this film really sweetly shows the challenges he faces to complete it.it doesnt over do it like other films and the little boys portrayal of aspergers is really good, better than most adult actors.

New Threads

Top Bottom