• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ASDs and Employment

Not at this time, but I worry about it in the long run. The prospects for somebody with the terminal degree I intend to get are not all that great right now, and it's even worse since I have a very specific idea of what I want to do thus making my potential job market very limited.

The thing I am most scared of is interviewing. I've heard and read that when you interview for a job they ask you awkward social questions like how you coped with a coworker you didn't like or ply you with difficult situations you have to come up with an immediate and good response to. I don't get into disagreements with coworkers often but when I have I don't think I managed it as well as I could have. I work best by myself or when I am in a strict chain of hierarchy. I also have difficulty making spontaneous decisions.

The only thing that might make me feel better is that I know I would be a good person for the job which I will want someday. I am wholly enthusiastic and have a suitable skill set. I also have this faint hope that there won't be as many "people" questions whenever I interview. The people who told me the interview stories which gave me the horrors were applying for jobs which had dealing with people as a prime component. I hope to specifically avoid this kind of job because I am not a people person.

If i ever get the job I want I expect to be OK, because I know I would love it.

This is an area which I worry about. I would need to get a job sometime soon I guess. Main problem is I have a sleep disorder which shows no sign of improving and my education is in a mess at the moment. I don't have any grades apart from a First Diploma in ICT. I missed a lot of school for multiple reasons and most of the grade was based on coursework which I wasn't present to do. Also, when I started college all my friends went to different campuses and I struggled on my own.

There's a new Tesco opening near me (don't know why they need a third one anyway :p ) my brother and a friend were thinking of applying. I might apply too. I guess if there's someone I know working with me then it won't be so bad. Besides, I keep getting told I don't need grades to work in a supermarket. However, even if I manage to get past the interview and accepted, I fear my social life (that I have worked hard on this year) will go out the window. I don't want to give up what social life I have. It is already difficult enough to get all of my friends/associates off work to do something together without having to arrange things around yet another schedule. Of course, I'm still at college so will probably end up working night shift I guess - could I cope with college during the day and then working at night? I don't know.

I worry about employment to a certain extent, but my main concern is that I will be treated differently or discriminated against because of my Asperger's diagnosis. I've had enough people patronize and talk down to me since I was diagnosed to know that I don't like it and don't want it to continue into my adult life.

Just to offer some advise: I've worked since I was about 11yr old at various jobs, and have been a hiring manager at a few. On the interview questions: Practice with people you trust and have them be difficult with you, so you can practice staying focused even in difficult situations. Also, just be honest and answer the social questions based on how you would want others to treat you. If practiced, Aspies tendency to come across as arrogant can easily be seen as confidence in an interview and shyness can be hidden as careful contemplation. Also, don't forget, you are interviewing your potential employer as much as they are interviewing you.

Caution on my mistakes. Stick to your dreams/special interests...I think I made a mistake in going to college to get a degree, instead of going to college to get a career. I looked for the quickest and easy path to get out of school, and now I am having trouble finding a job/career I enjoy.

I worry about employment to a certain extent, but my main concern is that I will be treated differently or discriminated against because of my Asperger's diagnosis. I've had enough people patronize and talk down to me since I was diagnosed to know that I don't like it and don't want it to continue into my adult life.

What? This happens in Wales? I thought the UK in general are ok with autistics in employment? In Singapore, ASD is frowned upon, 'can you work'?

Just to offer some advise: I've worked since I was about 11yr old at various jobs, and have been a hiring manager at a few. On the interview questions: Practice with people you trust and have them be difficult with you, so you can practice staying focused even in difficult situations. Also, just be honest and answer the social questions based on how you would want others to treat you. If practiced, Aspies tendency to come across as arrogant can easily be seen as confidence in an interview and shyness can be hidden as careful contemplation. Also, don't forget, you are interviewing your potential employer as much as they are interviewing you.

Caution on my mistakes. Stick to your dreams/special interests...I think I made a mistake in going to college to get a degree, instead of going to college to get a career. I looked for the quickest and easy path to get out of school, and now I am having trouble finding a job/career I enjoy.

Not to worry, at least you have a few years of job experience to boot. :) I am looking towards a career in finance...

What? This happens in Wales? I thought the UK in general are ok with autistics in employment? In Singapore, ASD is frowned upon, 'can you work'?

Sorry, I went off on one there. From what I've heard, the UK are usually fine with employing people on the spectrum - I just worry sometimes about co-workers and gossip.

I am currently studying a full time course at college and so do not have the time to work. However...having an ASD such as Asperger Syndrome COULD actually help your chances of getting a job. I know it sounds ridiculous but quite a lot of companies in the UK enlist in an equal opportunities agreement. Therefore they have to have a percentage of employees with a particular disability or even ethnic background. This is also the case for many colleges and schools.

Anyway: you don't necessarily need to mention that you have Asperger Syndrome. In most job applications you will be asked if YOU consider yourself to have a disability. You can say 'no' even if you have a diagnoses of ASD because just because you have been diagnosed with something considered a disability by some, it doesn't mean you consider yourself to be disabled.

Additionally...under the Discrimination of Disability Act employers are NOT allowed to turn you down if you have a disability - especially with ones that most probably won't affect your ability to carry out your job properly and efficiently. The Equality Act 2010 however is replacing DDA which is a fantastic thing to be happening.

Hope I helped ease some of your worries a little. Having AS does NOT mean you are unemployable and many employers are looking up to this fact.

To the above poster: Don't worry. I'm sure that somewhere in either the Discrimination of Disability Act or Data Protection Act 1998 or both it states that employers cannot tell his employees about their colleagues. There's no need for YOU to tell them either. You can't tell without trying. If you get a job opportunity, GO FOR IT.

Last edited:
I have had a few small jobs over the years. One I volunteered at ((R)SPCA) and another working at a small tennis center in the cafe. Along with occassional ''baby'' sitting certain people who I know well enough but that is quite infrequent.

Whilst I have enjoyed working, I do find it quite hard...not because I am lazy, that is not the case. It is the social interaction that leaves me tired and confused etc. The SPCA was good in this regard as my social interaction was only with the animals. Unfortuanately I had to give it up due to moving.

I do not want to depend on my parents for the rest of my life and so I do know and understand that I need a job, but I need one that is better suited for me. What sort of jobs are recommendable for people with Asperger's?

I know a fellow ASD friend in Singapore who is currently an administrative assistant with an autism treatment center. He seems to enjoy the job, though he complains of low pay.

Sorry, I went off on one there. From what I've heard, the UK are usually fine with employing people on the spectrum - I just worry sometimes about co-workers and gossip.

Oh really? Some of my cohorts on the spectrum lost their insurance when they revealed their conditions.

The whole issue of finding a job/career is something I've always found very frustrating. I've held a few jobs, but they were all low-paying crappy jobs I wouldn't want to go back to. I actually have an MA in English, but I can't really figure out anything to do with it. I'd like to find some kind of job as a writer, but it's hard to find any (I go online to look for freelance writing work nearly every day but never find anything any good). Teaching is the standard thing that people with an MA in English are generally expected to do, but for various reasons, I don't feel like that would be a good option for me (and it would require another year or so of school anyway, something I'm not too keen on right now).

A few months ago, I applied to a state agency that helps people with physical, mental, and emotional problems find jobs. I went through some evaluation, and they think that while I'm ok in terms of intellect and skills, they have concerns about my ability to get along with people and be patient with people when they get on my nerves. The last time I met with them was before I had an official Asperger's diagnosis, so maybe that will help a little bit.

I thought I would go for a teaching job when I started my Master's degree, but I quickly decided I disliked teaching based on my experiences as a TA. I can stand it, but it's stressful for me to go speak in front of a group of people regularly, and when the students cause trouble I just can't handle it with the self-confidence and wit that my peers do (I can't usually come up with great comebacks on the spot). Finally, my students never learn as much as I try to get them to so I don't find it very satisfying. I think I don't really understand them because they are different than me.

Now I will not get a job teaching if I can possibly avoid it. Unfortunately, this has reduced my pool of possible jobs.

I think you pretty much nailed why the typical teaching job isn't an attractive option to me. I wouldn't totally rule out teaching if there's not much else I can do with my degree, but the typical public school teaching gig babysitting kids who are just there because they're forced to be there is about the last thing I want to do.

Of course, If you asked me why I have a Master's in the first place, my quick answer would probably be "I didn't know what else to do after I finished my Bachelor's."

Of course, If you asked me why I have a Master's in the first place, my quick answer would probably be "I didn't know what else to do after I finished my Bachelor's."

I could almost say the same thing about being in the process of getting one. I have a career goal, but when I decided to apply I just felt like I didn't have any other [attractive] options.

Last edited:
I think you pretty much nailed why the typical teaching job isn't an attractive option to me. I wouldn't totally rule out teaching if there's not much else I can do with my degree, but the typical public school teaching gig babysitting kids who are just there because they're forced to be there is about the last thing I want to do.

I must say, I find that I resemble that remark. Upon analyzing my career options after graduating I wondered why I really chose my major...I was a manager at a car wash at the time and so...you guessed it...I chose management as my major. I've thought about getting my MBA in management, but honestly I'm not sure why...other than to have an advanced degree.

I have thought about human resources and could probably get an MBA with that as an emphasis and try to get into ASD advocacy in the workplace, as I've taken an interest in ASD, psychology, and seem to have some skills in business management. I just haven't found that to be an actual area of emphasis offered by any nearby Universities.

I find it very difficult to put a logical plan (for a career) to my dreams/interests. Originally, I wanted to be an astronaut or aeronautical engineer...or a cartoonist or painter...but I could never figure out how to actually get jobs in those fields and everything seemed to lead to "knowing someone" and the dreaded social networking thing...so I just went with what I knew.

I find it very difficult to put a logical plan (for a career) to my dreams/interests. Originally, I wanted to be an astronaut or aeronautical engineer...or a cartoonist or painter...but I could never figure out how to actually get jobs in those fields and everything seemed to lead to "knowing someone" and the dreaded social networking thing...so I just went with what I knew.

As far as being a painter: I used to have a subscription to a wildlife art magazine before it went bankrupt. It seemed that many of the artists had followed a track where they had a different full-time job and did art in their spare time. At some point, they would quit the job and do art full time. This generally resulted in at least a couple years of impoverishment or something near it until the artist got successfully established. There would have been a lot of self-promotion and networking involved, I suspect. But it worked for at least some people.

Other than that, I don't know much. I always have the fine artist option on the back burner, so to speak. I am absolutely convinced I could make a living doing fine art (wildlife/fantasy sculptures), but I turned away from the fine art world because nobody there understood me.

Anyone read this book? One of the mods over at Spectrumville recommended it:

transparent-pixel._V192551059_.gif
Asperger Syndrome Employment Workbook: An Employment Workbook for Adults with Asperger Syndrome

Anyone ever used this site to find freelance writing/programming/whatever work? You have to pay a monthly fee to use it, but it's not too bad (the basic membership level is about $5 a month, which is considerably lower than the monthly fee for similar sites I've looked at). Something like this might be a good opportunity for those of us who don't have wonderful people skills and have difficulty with more traditional paths to employment despite having some type of marketable skill (In my case, that would be higher level writing/research skills).

http://www.ifreelance.com/

This is a site I look at that compiles telecommuting jobs posted on Craigslist. I've never actually gotten a job through Craigslist, but I keep looking:

http://telecommutejoblist.com/

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom