• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

AS Diagnosed in my 50s - so much to learn

gillie

Hi All,
Having been experiencing increasing anxiety and depression over the past handful of years, my daughter (25) and wife suggested (to my horror) that I was showing signs of Asperger's Syndrome. I set out to prove them very wrong by taking the Simon Baron-Cohen online test. The result wasn't in my favour, receiving a very high score. This triggered a GP visit and eventual assessment and formal diagnosis.
I now accept my autistic brain for what it is - not wrong - just different. I am passionate about helping others, especially with late diagnosis after my experiences of coming to terms with the wake of disasters in my past and missing pieces of the jig-saw slotting into place.
I am writing an online book/blog: http://neurons.iangillingham.net
It's written from the heart with not a lot of prettying up (yet). Please feel free to read and register if you wish. It's a living journal and I'm adding to it from time to time, so things will change occasionally.

Looking forward to meeting new friends here :)

Ian

Welcome, and cheers to you for having an adventurous attitude upon being diagnosed.

This is a good place for information, support, and help. I know for me it is often the only place where I feel accepted, where I can count on getting positive feedback. I was diagnosed in my forties, and after several years, I am still coming to terms with this condition. There is a lot to learn.

Yes, receiving a diagnosis of autism can really make you analyse your entire life, particularly your childhood. It affects nearly everything you do and to be told you act this way because you have autism is quite a shock, and a revelation.

Personally, I've always tried to better myself, try to change aspects of my behaviour which I don't find good enough, and to be told that that might not be the healthiest thing to do now I have Tourette's syndrome on top of Asperger's syndrome leaves me in a difficult situation and I feel I'm not longer able to tell what comes naturally to me any more. What I'm trying to say is that is along with coming to terms that you are in fact autistic you should also try to make peace with yourself as who you are and you shouldn't try to change yourself too much. Find a balance between satisfying others in your life and also yourself, do what makes you relaxed, calm and happy. If that means a bit of time on your own, indulging in your interests then do that as it can be therapeutic if you have depression.

Getting a diagnosis doesn't change who you are, only how you react to yourself.

What a great project! I had no idea until my brain started melting down in midlife; now, everything is different :)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom