• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you addicted to IQ tests?

Biblio-Love

I have taken many IQ tests? My addiction goes in fits and bursts. I don't understand what drives me to keep taking them. Validation of my intellect? I don't know, but I do enjoy them. Has anyone else taken lots of IQ tests? On-line or elsewhere?

Every once in a while I stumble upon them, and depending on how much time they take (and how much time I want to spend on it) I might fill it in. But I'm always interested in random tests, even if they're not really to be taken seriously. So for instance a "what's your D&D alignment?" would get my attention as well.

What I do with it? Not much. Just pass time, and in a way see how my answers might add up to the result.

As for IQ tests... I did a few paper ones supervised by professionals. So, in a way, I have a validation, if I wanted to, in terms of results. I don't know how much (dis)credit one should give an online one. Clearly some are not put together on a serious note, while some are... I find it hard to distinguish those sometimes, and as such online tests don't get a lot of credit from me generally speaking.

I did it for a while (mostly for fun) before figuring out that most tests skew the results to make the Internet population seem smarter than they really are. Most of them are fake, though I'd say that the Raven's tests might be legit since they don't involve any cultural knowledge requirements. I'd still be careful about taking online tests seriously though, and be sure you're not coughing up any cash just for a number.

I don't know my IQ and I prefer not to know. I would either get a big head if it were higher than expected or be disapointed if it were lower: a can't win situation. I have confidence I can learn almost anything I want. I admit when I started to get into the higher level math and physics courses it took everything I had in terms of brain power and hard work to be successful and I was approaching my competance limit but I am satisfied with my performance and in truth have no use in life for these advanced mathematical techniques. Surviving P-Chem was my personal test of manhood.

Oh, I'd never pay money for an on-line test, of any sort. I think I just like questionnaires and filling out forms. :) Just wondering if anyone else does this. In terms of my intelligence, I vacillate between thinking/ feeling that I am a complete idiot or very intelligent. I can't figure out which one and I hope that a test will give me the answers. Of course, I realize that intelligence is dependent on the situation and many other variable factors, and it is completely absurd to think a test will reveal all. But still...

I haven't done an IQ test in ages I think.
I took many when I was younger, from 12-16. I had many books at home, I didn't take on-line tests because I didn't have internet.
One of the reasons for my interest was my father's obsession with it, seriously, I think you can't have a conversation without him bringing up intelligence. I find it so boring/tiring!
Well, at the time I was curious and took them because they were like games, because I liked the challenge and because I was good at them.
I was very competitive against my dad, he was so arrogant! His opinion was always the only one that mattered since he was the acknowledged genius.
I took a Mensa test to prove him I was smarted and he eventually shut up. My mission fulfilled, I gradually lost interest.
I still like them, but I rarely take them because I lack motivation now.

No. As long as I know I'm sufficiently smart, it doesn't matter what's my IQ score - 130, 150 or even 180.

I only know I'm smart and motivated enough for graduate school and most complex stuff in the world, but I haven't got the opportunities and/or motivation to pursue them. I'm easily bored, that's all.

I used to think about intelligence a lot, but I've only taken one official IQ test and that was back in 9th grade of high school. I was pretty dissatisfied with my result. I've taken some internet tests in the past but they weren't any good. I wouldn't pay to take one on the internet. I don't think I want to take another real IQ test because it will only disappoint me.

New Threads

Top Bottom