• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you a Photoshop pro?

Hm... not to be a buzz kill, but Gimp is the poor man's version of Adobe Photoshop. They are "almost" the same, but not the same.

So you're better off using Adobe Photoshop and only using GIMP when you don't have access to Adobe Photoshop. >_<;

If you figure out how to animate in GIMP, share the glory with us. :D Because I been trying to Gif animate in Gimp for the longest! >_<;

Anyways, I am attaching one of my semi-advanced Adobe Photoshop pieces to give you an example of what I can do. The little pixel art in the this piece, I made it from scratch in MS Paint. It a pixel art person I made. :D This isn't the piece I made for my customer. This I made during a special workshop with an Art Museum Program. :)
That actually is really good despite that you did that on photoshop, I would of thought that somebody did that professionally.
Pixel art is definitely art.:geek:

Pixel art should stay in MS Paint! :p

I'm fairly good at photoshop, wouldn't say I'm professional but could probably produce something of similar level if I *really* wanted to.

I'm self taught, I don't gain anything from watching 3 day long videos of people going over the same thing. Better to dive in and explore for yourself, then exchange tips/techniques with people in the same boat, later on.

I'm fairly good at photoshop, wouldn't say I'm professional but could probably produce something of similar level if I *really* wanted to.

I'm self taught, I don't gain anything from watching 3 day long videos of people going over the same thing. Better to dive in and explore for yourself, then exchange tips/techniques with people in the same boat, later on.
I guess that would pretty much work... :)

:cry: That's not nice, all mediums should be blended together. You didn't even see how I blended it. >_<;

Nah, I am not upset or sadden. Just being over dramatic. ^_^; I like mixing my mediums. ;) Also, I use Photoshop to "enhance" my pixel art. Like add Photoshop effects to it or to "save" it better. :D

Sometimes, I would also find it easier to use more than one software just to make really cool pictures. :)

But so far, I find it best just using photoshop altogether, you wpuld think a professional had made it since I can make it look like a proper photographer had actually taken the picture since I can actually improve the quality.

:cry: That's not nice, all mediums should be blended together. You didn't even see how I blended it. >_<;

Nah, I am not upset or sadden. Just being over dramatic. ^_^; I like mixing my mediums. ;) Also, I use Photoshop to "enhance" my pixel art. Like add Photoshop effects to it or to "save" it better. :D

You might as well just stick to using Photoshop as Photoshop can do everything MS Paint can do, but 1000x better. No point in bringing stuff made with an inferior app like MS Paint into Photoshop.

You'd be surprised Chris.

I used to think that there wouldn't be much to gain from watching 50+ hours worth of videos, but boy was I wrong. There's a lot of stuff that's buried deep in Photoshop that you'd never learn had you not been taught by pros.

I've been regularly using Photoshop since 2004 and figured that I pretty much knew the app front to back, but in the past couple months, I've gained about 10x more knowledge about the app than I used to know - seriously. I'll be honest though - only about 50% of what I learned from the tutorials is what I'd consider as being useful, but I've learned so much.

You might as well just stick to using Photoshop as Photoshop can do everything MS Paint can do, but 1000x better. No point in bringing stuff made with an inferior app like MS Paint into Photoshop.

Hm... I disagree. I learned paint first and Photoshop second. That is just your opinion and I respect that. Maybe when I take a couple of college courses on Photoshop, I might change my mind. For now though, I'll stick to both programs. Also if you're using Windows 7, paint has a totally different layout and a new set of brushes. :S

i do photoshop alot at college, i want it on my personal laptop but my parents wont buy it :(

I believe we have a resurrection, lol

I'm no pro, and I haven't used it in quite some time. I'm working with it at the moment... again. But as with all, be it graphic design, music and whatnot... I don't have the urge to just go out and "create" something. I do need a purpose on why I have to get all geared up for it.

Years back, I used to work with Paint shop pro and I had no clue how the entire layers thing worked. But that was 9 years ago or so... if not more. I used it to create the website(s) of the band(s) I was in at the time and that was pretty much it. As with all creative stuff I do, I usually have decent outline in what I want, and usually get it working. In a way I find it a blessing, in that, I don't ever try to achieve something I can't do (or am terribly bad in) and therefore I'm happy with my results. That does however not mean, that I don't improve my skills. I like to think of it as "oh, since I can do this and this... I might try to incorporate this and that".

On that note of not being terribly productive, I do not have a portfolio, nor do I have the intention to. Portfolio's are for people that are trying to land a (mostly commercial) job in that field. I rather just pretend to be my own boss,create what I want and get that out. If someone likes what I create, fine... if someone doesn't, I'm fine with that as well. It's not on a commercial basis, where I have someone who employs me, to create somethhing... I probably will never work on commision on anything creative, just because I don't think (my) art is meant to be commercial... and I don't have the drive to do so.

It is kinda funny, that sometimes, when I do spew out something, people are like "did you make that? I didn't know you were so handy in that field".

I once was in college and I had design classes. It was a big mess, because I either argued with the teacher (more on that in a second... it's a funny anekdote) or I designed stuff which was way to morbid for general use... yet it still adhered to the assignment. To which the teacher kinda worried how he (or I for that matter) was going to tackle the "what's social convenient and accepted", as he felt it wasn't really his job, his job was to learn us how to wield photoshop, illustrator and indesign.

The anekdote;

At one time, when I was in school and I had my very first design class. Teacher introduced himself, told us he ran a company on graphic design, and he would instruct us. So, within the first slides of his presentation he had a pixel, a line, a shape and an object lined up, and he went on the ask around "how do you define these?". Some guy answered that a pixel is a, in computer terms, mathematical representation of the intersection of 2 coordinates. That was correct. So... on to the line, he asked; Anyone? So I raised my hand and told him "sir... a line is a sequence of pixels". He gave me an odd look and told me "I never heard someone say that before... interesting point of view". The entire class sighed when I gave that answer, as apparently the correct answer was "a connection between 2 coordinates".

Afterwards, he asked about the shape (in this case, a square). To me, it could've been a pixel, just enlarged over a thousand times. But given the context, it was a square, as the examples superceded each other in significance... but you're not always given context.

Even now, if I think of it, it just makes me think, that even in graphic design classes, there's different means of interpretation, and somehow, even the professionals in the field aren't aware of that.

Not much of a pro but trying to improve my skills. I found videos on the web, enough to meet my needs for what I want to do.

New Threads

Top Bottom