• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are those with Autism more likely to be atheists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angie, you should try and check out this cosmos series on fox. Its really high budget, they do an amazing job. I am watching it right now. They were saying that if the history of the universe since the Big Bang was condensed to a 12 month year. MonoSapiens have only existed for about 14 seconds of that year. Kind of makes you feel small.

Cheers-B

I have to say that this is the best answer yet that I have heard about the Big Bang Theory. I still believe that God started the energy for the bang, but I do know from science that it is true that energy cannot be destroyed. Very interesting answer.
I am not going to definitely say that energy cannot be created nor destroyed. We know so little about the universe to authoritatively make such an arrogant statement. I think that, according to our current knowledge, energy cannot be created nor destroyed. On a side note, the nature of God is likely something far beyond what many of us believe. Possible God is the energy of everything--a conscious entity whom literally guides everything as energy himself. Or, perhaps God is nature itself; perhaps he is all matter, literally controlling his creation by controlling himself. Or, maybe, God embodies the physical laws of the universe as a self-conscious entity guiding the universe and nature through himself. Or, and I think this is the most likely, God is an entity, a self-conscious, uncomprehendable piece of existence so deeply enshrined within the nature of existence that our infant's understanding of physics and nature as a species can only hope to ever begin to understand.

Because I am a logical thinking person, I am a Christian believer. How in the world could all of this just happen without an intelligent creator. Think about things as simple as the food We eat and the coffee We drink. Did these things just happen to be pleasurable and nourishing to our bodies? Look at the things in nature that We see that stimulate our senses. As a teenage boy aspie I was very depressed and empty feeling. It wasn't until someone sat down with me and told me how to truly be a follower of Jesus that I was able to experience true joy. It's something that is hard to explain to others. You just have to experience it. When Jesus left this Earth He promised He would send the holy spirit to be our helper and comforter and that holy spirit fills us when We become believers. I would never want to go back to my old angry depressed life of spiritual darkness. I don't think I could survive this life without Gods holy spirit living in Me. Give it a try. If you don't like it You can always go back to being an atheist.

Because I am a logical thinking person, I am a Christian believer. How in the world could all of this just happen without an intelligent creator. Think about things as simple as the food We eat and the coffee We drink. Did these things just happen to be pleasurable and nourishing to our bodies? Look at the things in nature that We see that stimulate our senses. As a teenage boy aspie I was very depressed and empty feeling. It wasn't until someone sat down with me and told me how to truly be a follower of Jesus that I was able to experience true joy. It's something that is hard to explain to others. You just have to experience it. When Jesus left this Earth He promised He would send the holy spirit to be our helper and comforter and that holy spirit fills us when We become believers. I would never want to go back to my old angry depressed life of spiritual darkness. I don't think I could survive this life without Gods holy spirit living in Me. Give it a try. If you don't like it You can always go back to being an atheist.

Well said.

I am very religious. To me, such beauty as our world cannot be made out of pure luck, intelligent desing or whatever it may be called. I also find it comforting to believe in higher powers. It gives a meaning to my life, it gives someone to talk to, it gives a sense of being loved regardless of who I am. My relationship to God is very close and personnal.

Im going to tread very lightly here, as i dont really care what peoples personal religious beliefs are, to each their own. Im not trying to crap on anyones beliefs. But to all you logical thinking christians , i have a question that i dont personally know the answer to.

For a planet to be inhabited by life it needs to be in what they call the "Goldilocks zone". Not too far from the sun, not too close. not to cold, not too hot. Scientist speculate that in our universe alone there are probably countless other planets that meet the criteria for life. We just don't have the time to cross light years to get to them.

So to all you logical thinking Christians. Do you think that there was a form of Jesus being mardered on all these planets and a Pontius Pilot on all those planets too? Or is it possible that maybe the idea of literal salvation is just a convenient narrative, and this narrative was easily enforced by the church by the threat of hell. The real reason christianity gained such popularity and POWER is because no one knew if there was a hell or not, but damn if they are going to roll the dice and find out.

If there was no talk of hell, I dont think christianity would have ever taken off. Jesus with out Satan is like superman without Lex Luther.

If there was no talk of hell, I dont think christianity would have ever taken off. Jesus with out Satan is like superman without Lex Luther.

I suppose that's potentially arguable depending on various Hebrew interpretations of She'ol....the underworld of the Old Testament. That a concept of consequences existed long before Christ.

I've largely ignored this thread because I believe autism isn't necessarily correlated with an interest in faith or atheism, but I decided to have a look because I'm bored today.

Because I am a logical thinking person, I am a Christian believer.
So, in your opinion, is the possession of logic exclusive to the Christian faithful?

I've largely ignored this thread because I believe autism isn't necessarily correlated with an interest in faith or atheism, but I decided to have a look because I'm bored today.

So, in your opinion, is the possession of logic exclusive to the Christian faithful?
No, not at all. I guess logic is one of those things that can go either way. I just don't see any logical way that this world could have just happened.

In response to the question, based on my experiences on this site and a couple others, I would have to say “Yes.” I think it’s because the Aspie mind tends to operate logically, if that can be a proper description. Faith in a Deity can seem illogical to one that operates on logic. However, those who hold to such faith, the “illogical” is logical. I’ll not delve into the deeper points of faith, etc. since they’re not pertinent to the question.

Nevertheless, as the resident preacher, I have a deep faith, am an Orthodox Christian, and a practicing Southern Baptist. If asked, I will freely share my faith. However, on this site, I will not “force” my views on others despite the fact I may disagree with theirs. This is the first site I have visited where such provocative issues are carefully moderated and the hateful comments are kept in check; that includes a “Christian” site I once tried.

No, not at all. I guess logic is one of those things that can go either way. I just don't see any logical way that this world could have just happened.
All right. It wasn't exactly clear that you weren't making that implication. I just wanted to check.

You find logic in your religion. That's fine, of course. I personally don't believe a god or gods created the universe.

I am not going to definitely say that energy cannot be created nor destroyed. We know so little about the universe to authoritatively make such an arrogant statement. I think that, according to our current knowledge, energy cannot be created nor destroyed. On a side note, the nature of God is likely something far beyond what many of us believe. Possible God is the energy of everything--a conscious entity whom literally guides everything as energy himself. Or, perhaps God is nature itself; perhaps he is all matter, literally controlling his creation by controlling himself. Or, maybe, God embodies the physical laws of the universe as a self-conscious entity guiding the universe and nature through himself. Or, and I think this is the most likely, God is an entity, a self-conscious, uncomprehendable piece of existence so deeply enshrined within the nature of existence that our infant's understanding of physics and nature as a species can only hope to ever begin to understand.

Energy definitely cannot be created or destroyed. That is a law. Not a theory, a hypothesis, or a prediction.

My reply to that is what is the logical path that says that someone could create their existence in the timeline of what we know and then create everything else. Something can't come from nothing not only applies to religious arguments against the Big Bang Theory but it also applies to their faith that someone just existed, from nothing, and created everything.

I'm getting to the point where I don't see anything good coming out of these religious threads except an inevitable argument. No one is going to change anothers beliefs. And both sides are unprovable. I just wish these types of threads would be banned.

I'm getting to the point where I don't see anything good coming out of these religious threads except an inevitable argument. No one is going to change anothers beliefs. And both sides are unprovable. I just wish these types of threads would be banned.

But people change their beliefs all the time. Sometimes it just takes their own delusions to be confronted and when it bothers them enough that their beliefs make no sense they come to accept it. Especially when it comes to aspies who can't deal with cognitive dissonance or ones who don't simply accept something based on emotion.

But people change their beliefs all the time. Sometimes it just takes their own delusions to be confronted and when it bothers them enough that their beliefs make no sense they come to accept it. Especially when it comes to aspies who can't deal with cognitive dissonance or ones who don't simply accept something based on emotion.

So you're saying you might be swayed to have your beliefs changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom