• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone writing a book?

Sass

Hey guys (yet again LOL)

I'm an editor mostly, but I started writing a book about 9 months ago, and I've stalled :(

Any other writers-of-fiction here?

Mine is kind of a dystopian thing, but still super hard to explain really, unless I'm on a roll (which doesn't happen often).

I have written several, but haven't gotten any published yet.
Still waiting to hear back from a publisher on one of my latest though! :)

Several? Bloody hell! I wish I was inspired enough for several, I'm having enough trouble with this one :(

I have a disorder called Maladaptive Daydreaming Disorder. I think it gives me a natural talent to create stories, even if they're not about my daydreams. However, I don't think I'd be taken seriously as an author. I've always had interest in the horror genre, but I may just freak people out. I'm not into just blood and gore though. I like stories with a suspenseful plot.

I have a disorder called Maladaptive Daydreaming Disorder. I think it gives me a natural talent to create stories, even if they're not about my daydreams. However, I don't think I'd be taken seriously as an author. I've always had interest in the horror genre, but I may just freak people out. I'm not into just blood and gore though. I like stories with a suspenseful plot.
Well that sounds cool! I'm pretty sure freaking people out is the point of horror too, so you should be fine :p

At some point I was planning to. I was already doing illustrations and such and putting up some concepts for a slightly steampunk-ish/dystopian type of thing. But life got in the way and that got somewhere in the background.

It's not that I don't have the time to write, I just lack inspiration, motivation and I think in general other things look a bit more interesting to me at the moment. Some hobbies clearly took over a bit and want more of my time.

Though, I think as for writing I've had a few ideas here and there about said project and writing would be one of those. Doing it in either comic book style or even animated graphic novel style through a website was another one I considered. Probably at some point I'll give it a shot, though it might very well not be the tradtional way of storytelling in the forum of a book.

Hey guys (yet again LOL)

I'm an editor mostly, but I started writing a book about 9 months ago, and I've stalled :(

Any other writers-of-fiction here?

Mine is kind of a dystopian thing, but still super hard to explain really, unless I'm on a roll (which doesn't happen often).
I'm helping to write a visual novel. Though I'm mostly responsible for editing it, the other writers have been kind enough to let me write a few small scenes. I'm hoping to write for another visual novel soon as well.

Aside from that, I have poetry and fanfiction currently on the back burner.

I'm currently working on a young adult novel just for fun. When it's finished I might just put it up on a blog or something. It's mostly just an exercise to keep writing and I have no intention of trying to make the book good. In fact I've put research into finding the worst YA cliches to work into my story.

I've always been a writer. My attention span and staying power never allowed me to write something as consistent as a novel, but I write short stories set across various worlds of my own creation. I could answer questions all day and night about my alternate reality, and know enough information about it and its people FOR a book or three, but I've never had the staying power to put it to paper.

The only short story I wrote that ever got anywhere was a short story called "Formulaic Crime Thriller", that won a competition I entered once. It was a cliche (can't find the squiggle to go above the 'e', sorry) unto itself, with characters that had names like "Main Character", "Prime Suspect" and "Minor Character", who said things like "exclamation of surprise!".

I don't like gore either, but a surreal, suspenseful, and creepy horror is a rare treat. Dean Koontz has written a couple like this I liked ("The Taking" was my favourite). Also films like 1408, where things start normal, and gradually get weirder and weirder.

I'm currently working on a young adult novel just for fun. When it's finished I might just put it up on a blog or something. It's mostly just an exercise to keep writing and I have no intention of trying to make the book good. In fact I've put research into finding the worst YA cliches to work into my story.
I bet that'd be a fun read. :p Working cliches (still haven't found that squiggle) in and using them ironically can make for a fun piece.

I bet that'd be a fun read. :p Working cliches (still haven't found that squiggle) in and using them ironically can make for a fun piece.
I hope so. I don't want to call it a parody but it is pretty much that. I thought of having a love triangle triangle but that's too many characters it'd require effort. It will be a trilogy and all of them will be a hundred pages or less.

If Hollywood comes knocking I will demand they split each book into 2 2 hour movies, because why bother just splitting the last book when you can make twice as much for all of them?

I've been dabbling in writing novels since I was nine. I once wrote a relatively long one (327 pages) when I was younger (it included a secret organisation, a rather expensive pair of socks, and a snail named Dennis), but it was on my computer which was stolen while I was still in the process of editing. needless to say, I don't write as much fiction as I used to, though when I do it is normally mystery/humour/philosophy type stuff and much shorter. I write non-fiction more regularly, as I have a science/humour blog.

Funny you should mention it, I started on a new story introduction this morning (haven't really edited it and I'm by no means a proffesional in the first place, but writing helps me to relieve stress):

The most interesting of mystery novels usually start with a loud shot in the dark. A cold silence and a sudden bang and perhaps a loud gasp if the author is feeling up to it.
This story, however, is neither mysterious nor interesting, and will begin, as many lousy stories do, with an old newspaper and an unfriendly squirrel.
The day was a cold one, which pleased Dr Dumbowski immensely. Misery hung in the air, clogging up drains and getting caught in the throats of passer-by. The only grin to be seen in the entire park was the one written across the good doctor’s face, as she pushed a grey pram with one hand and drank from a flask of brandy with the other.
The toddler in the stroller was not her son.
The child was the orphaned Viktor Shaposhnikov, who was fiddling with a seven by seven Rubik’s cube and did not seem the least bit amused when the colours finally snapped back into place with the simplicity even the most dedicated of nerds would have gasped at. But Viktor was not one to gasp. He was not one to cry or whimper either. His sharp, grey eyes were always set in an expression of a keen and hidden thoughtfulness that was highly unusual for a tyke of hardly two.

I've been dabbling in writing novels since I was nine. I once wrote a relatively long one (327 pages) when I was younger (it included a secret organisation, a rather expensive pair of socks, and a snail named Dennis), but it was on my computer which was stolen while I was still in the process of editing. needless to say, I don't write as much fiction as I used to, though when I do it is normally mystery/humour/philosophy type stuff and much shorter. I write non-fiction more regularly, as I have a science/humour blog.

Funny you should mention it, I started on a new story introduction this morning (haven't really edited it and I'm by no means a proffesional in the first place, but writing helps me to relieve stress):

The most interesting of mystery novels usually start with a loud shot in the dark. A cold silence and a sudden bang and perhaps a loud gasp if the author is feeling up to it.
This story, however, is neither mysterious nor interesting, and will begin, as many lousy stories do, with an old newspaper and an unfriendly squirrel.
The day was a cold one, which pleased Dr Dumbowski immensely. Misery hung in the air, clogging up drains and getting caught in the throats of passer-by. The only grin to be seen in the entire park was the one written across the good doctor’s face, as she pushed a grey pram with one hand and drank from a flask of brandy with the other.
The toddler in the stroller was not her son.
The child was the orphaned Viktor Shaposhnikov, who was fiddling with a seven by seven Rubik’s cube and did not seem the least bit amused when the colours finally snapped back into place with the simplicity even the most dedicated of nerds would have gasped at. But Viktor was not one to gasp. He was not one to cry or whimper either. His sharp, grey eyes were always set in an expression of a keen and hidden thoughtfulness that was highly unusual for a tyke of hardly two.
I'm really sorry to hear about the laptop theft. I've felt a feeling of sick rage when only losing a SHORT story, due to a poorly-timed crash. Losing an entire novel, you must have felt sick. My heart goes out to you. I've gotten into the habit of emailing stories to myself after I write them, so that they're at least somewhere other than my hard drive.

As for the intro you posted, though only a short paragraph, I really like your writing style. It has a quirky voice that reminds me slightly of Douglas Adams. I especially liked the line about misery clogging drains and getting stuck in people's throats. I'm usually good at coming up with characters and scenarios, but I tend to be a bit dry about it. I can go back and edit my writing so that it's a bit more colourful, by inserting little metaphors, similes, and more varied synonyms where they'd fit, but it's something I have to dedicate myself to, and it does not come naturally to me when I write (though it does when I speak, weirdly enough). I think my focus is so singular that, if I stop telling the story to spruce up the language, I lose my train of thought and can't get back into it.

I'm really sorry to hear about the laptop theft. I've felt a feeling of sick rage when only losing a SHORT story, due to a poorly-timed crash. Losing an entire novel, you must have felt sick. My heart goes out to you. I've gotten into the habit of emailing stories to myself after I write them, so that they're at least somewhere other than my hard drive.

As for the intro you posted, though only a short paragraph, I really like your writing style. It has a quirky voice that reminds me slightly of Douglas Adams. I especially liked the line about misery clogging drains and getting stuck in people's throats. I'm usually good at coming up with characters and scenarios, but I tend to be a bit dry about it. I can go back and edit my writing so that it's a bit more colourful, by inserting little metaphors, similes, and more varied synonyms where they'd fit, but it's something I have to dedicate myself to, and it does not come naturally to me when I write (though it does when I speak, weirdly enough). I think my focus is so singular that, if I stop telling the story to spruce up the language, I lose my train of thought and can't get back into it.
I felt horribly sick. They also stole my ridiculously cheap violin and mother's jewelry. Thanks for the compliments, though I haven't read anything by Douglas Adams. What are some of his best books? I might need to look into that.

I felt horribly sick. They also stole my ridiculously cheap violin and mother's jewelry. Thanks for the compliments, though I haven't read anything by Douglas Adams. What are some of his best books? I might need to look into that.
The only one I've read by him is "Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy". He's written a lot, I think, but I only read that one. (Actually, I listened to the audiobook version, because I was suffering from iritis at the time, and couldn't be exposed to any light - it was the same voice I heard when I read your paragraph).

I'm a writer, but not published yet. I'm in the process of having my short story edited. I will be having it self-published. First as an ebook, and later to be printed. I have other books I wrote and hopefully they will be published too. So, how come you stalled on your writing?

I'm a writer, but not published yet. I'm in the process of having my short story edited. I will be having it self-published. First as an ebook, and later to be printed. I have other books I wrote and hopefully they will be published too. So, how come you stalled on your writing?

Oh heck, I wish I knew. I can write article for news and magazine stuff no problem, but I have to be in the right headspace to write fiction, and often my work saps me too much. I edit books for a living, as well as writing, and sometimes after a long day tweaking the work of others I just don't seem to have the energy for mine!

That happens to me too. Have you considered writing a page a day? I mean since your busy. I usually have a notebook, put my thoughts in point form. Then when I am ready to write, I won't forget, and have ideas what to put down. That is what works for me, though.

I have always liked coming up with fictional stories, all throughout my school years. Since I've grown older, I usually like to write short stories. Mainly fantasies, which are mainly just "love stories", for lack of a few better words. Lol! I guess I can describe them as "adult" stories. Definately not recommended for the eyes of children! ;) I have a lot of fun with them, and the select few people that I let read them have complimented me.

That happens to me too. Have you considered writing a page a day? I mean since your busy. I usually have a notebook, put my thoughts in point form. Then when I am ready to write, I won't forget, and have ideas what to put down. That is what works for me, though.

I want to try that, but the trouble is that my writing style doesn't lend itself to planned writing. I just write until I'm done, and then write more when I have something to add. The problem is the not having something to add. Also I started this book before my diagnosis, and since then my thought processes and world view have shifted, so it's a bit like trying to re-attach a fallen eyelash. There's a ghost of it there, but the connection has flown. I'll get there eventually!

New Threads

Top Bottom