• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone interested in survival?

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
I'm just curious if anyone out there is interested in survival and related topics. Lately, I've gotten into Mountain Men and Doomsday Preppers.

Yes ,i go camping a lot and know some things to eat in the forest, I'm good at tending fires but I'm not an expert.I have a book though but i lost it. Ive seen those shows preppers on tv, where they stockpile things. I think its important to know, you never know what will happen, I try to keep a lot of dried and tinned foods in. And fermented foods.

Here in Sweden many of the buildings are nuclear safe and the cellar area has storage rooms for food and ventilation pipes . Also the area people keep there bikes are fallout shelters, I find this kind of creepy.

I'm interested in mixing prepping with living in the mountains. They are right when they say that the mountain men live truly free.

Also, I'm a licensed Ham Radio operator ... It dovetails with my interests. Ham radio makes a great source of communication if the cell network and telephone network goes down.

I'm interested in mixing prepping with living in the mountains. They are right when they say that the mountain men live truly free.
It would be great to live "off grid" you know self sufficiant, Ive been camping in Norway for 2 months, but i did go to the supermarket sometimes to buy food combined with eating what i picked. I loved it. But i would like to be more knowledgeable. i must admit i was knackered after that time and really appreciated taps, electric lights, I became obsessed with keeping dry , the weather and keeping the fire going haha, no time to get depressed.

It'd be cool to build an off grid community where no one cares about social skills. It's all about division of labor where each person has their area of expertise.

Also, I'm a licensed Ham Radio operator ... It dovetails with my interests. Ham radio makes a great source of communication if the cell network and telephone network goes down.

I haven't heard of that, is it like C.B? ( if you remember that?)... yes when i was camping I had to go into macdonnalds or the library to charge up. Ive learned about fermented foods that keep long. Also there seems to be a lot of people into this I've seen on Youtube, Building their own house and having a solar generator. Or living in a van to save money. I dumpster dive here to save cash.

Ive also researched about colloidal silver (dissolved in ionized water)... it seems to be a cure all if you got a sick.

Ham or Amateur Radio is a good read. Google it sometime. In the states there are three classes; technician, general, and extra. I'm a general class license holder. One of these days, I'll take the test to get upgraded to extra.

It'd be cool to build an off grid community where no one cares about social skills. It's all about division of labor where each person has their area of expertise.
That would be fantastic, growing our own food, telling stories by the fire ,, growing weed, ..... if there was a war, then it would be back to basics again for the survivors. I think many people feel the same way and are sick of todays society of greed and competition.

Grumpy Cat here. You're speaking my language! You guys can laugh at me if you like, I'm used to it. :)
Anyway, I'm a prepper, but I'm used to living in the city (condo). I started "prepping" (if you want to call it that) about two years ago, but have slowed down now because it gets pretty expensive. I've built up a supply of freeze dried food, medical supplies, water purifiers, camping gear, emergency blankets and even bullets. My problem is water storage - especially in a small place like a condo. So I have water purifying tabs, filters and a waterbob for the tub. I could probably stay in my condo for a couple months if some disaster should happen. Since hydration is #1, I have also thought of IV fluid, which catheters and IV fluids can be purchased online.
I also purchased a CB, but I'm needing a power source since I didn't mount it in my Jeep. A weather radio is on the list and I also have thought about getting a ham radio.
Matt, I believe that Sportster started a thread on this topic (about 6 months ago maybe more) as well if this is your interest.

Or living in a vaIve also researched about colloidal silver (dissolved in ionized water)... it seems to be a cure all if you got a sick.

No, it is not (and it can even permanently turn your skin blue if you take enough of it):

Colloidal silver: Is it safe or effective? - Mayo Clinic

Medical uses of silver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Colloidal Silver: Risk Without Benefit

Also, let's please stay away from the politically extreme/racist stuff that motivates many people in the "Doomsday Prepper" community in this thread:

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2014/...-arrested-on-gun-charges-in-washington-state/

“Doomsday Preppers”: Living like you’re gonna die tomorrow - Salon.com

Survivalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, it probably goes without saying, but a lot of the people who are promoting "Doomsday Prepper" stuff are doing it to sell something.

I love the doomsday prepper show. I remember starting a survival kit and putting some other stuff together when I first started watching that show. Though I never actually finished it. Lol. I also researched ways to survive in the great outdoors, watches some cool videos on how to start a fire, boil water, etc, etc. all great info that might come in handy one day. Got some cool pocket knives too. Just a few Gerbers.

No, it is not (and it can even permanently turn your skin blue if you take enough of it):

Colloidal silver: Is it safe or effective? - Mayo Clinic

Medical uses of silver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Colloidal Silver: Risk Without Benefit

Also, let's please stay away from the politically extreme/racist stuff that motivates many people in the "Doomsday Prepper" community in this thread:

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2014/...-arrested-on-gun-charges-in-washington-state/

“Doomsday Preppers”: Living like you’re gonna die tomorrow - Salon.com

Survivalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, it probably goes without saying, but a lot of the people who are promoting "Doomsday Prepper" stuff are doing it to sell something.

I have neither anything to sell nor am I extreme in my views. I have a curiosity about living a simpler, freer life. The Mountain Men television show is remarkable in that it does not have an extremist agenda, it just talks about living a freer life. If you are able to separate the fear and paranoia from Doomsday Preppers, there is actually some pretty educational information.

New Threads

Top Bottom