• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone have much know how or experience with tablets?

Signoflazurus, the guy there actually told me the Kindle is just for ebooks, :rolleyes: but can be used as a tablet. I have to say though the fact that it isn't regarded as a tablet and will thus not be used by most as one, I think it's made it more alluring to me. But at the moment it's just out of my price range.

There are different kinds of kindles and 2 main categories, one being the ereader kindles that you are referring to and then the more expensive kindle fires which run a modified version of Android that Amazon cooked up so that it integrates with their systems better.

Well you need to consider most tablets does not have 3G/4G/LTE, etc to connect with Cell Phone mobile networks. Any tablet can support instant messaging. You might need to download an app if it don't come with one. As for tablets having an older OS, it might be possible they have an update you can download. I bought an ACER tablet that came with Jelybean. After setting up the tablet, there was a update to get KitKit. It worth checking the manufacture website if they have new updates for the OS.

The guy there told me that whatsapp doesn't work on it. But I don't mind to be honest, it's not like I have people to instant message anyway. I really don't mind it if the tablet is wifi only. That's good to know that one can upgrade the software on Android. I suppose that's not possible on Windows when the new Windows 10 comes out?

There are different kinds of kindles and 2 main categories, one being the ereader kindles that you are referring to and then the more expensive kindle fires which run a modified version of Android that Amazon cooked up so that it integrates with their systems better.

The sales clerk was referring to the Kindle Fire. Perhaps he didn't know much about it, since it didn't seem too popular.

Last edited:
I suppose that's not possible on Windows when the new Windows 10 comes out?
It might be possible. Have to wait and see what Microsoft decides. I sure they allow a upgrade but I can't promise which devices they will support it for.

Sometimes need to be careful of sales guys. Many of them have limited knowledge of the product. It great you wrote a post here to get others people feedback.

It's probably best that I take the advice of people who have actual experience of using tablets than the sales personnel alone. It looks like I have to be patient to look for the best product, and not rush into buying anything right away.

It doesn't seem anyone knows much about Lenovo tablets, but how about ASUS? I was thinking of the MeMo pad 10 FHD or the Acer Iconia A3. Anyone have any experience with these two or anything similar?

The best I can advise you besides searching online for reviews is try to find a store haves a 30 day return policy. This way, if you don't like the product within 30 days, you can return it and try something else.

It doesn't seem anyone knows much about Lenovo tablets, but how about ASUS? I was thinking of the MeMo pad 10 FHD or the Acer Iconia A3. Anyone have any experience with these two or anything similar?

I will never buy a Lenovo product again, not because of performance issues, but because of some data that was published--might even have been here--on the data collection the machine sends back. You should probably do your homework on the manufacturer. Then the device.

That's how I shop.

The best I can advise you besides searching online for reviews is try to find a store haves a 30 day return policy. This way, if you don't like the product within 30 days, you can return it and try something else.

Yep that's something I can look into. I've searched most stores now, so I guess if I do buy one it will be online. So I'm hoping they have that type of policy. I have read reviews about most of them and very few have gotten bad reviews from the actual users themselves. This is making it harder to actually choose one, to be honest.

I will never buy a Lenovo product again, not because of performance issues, but because of some data that was published--might even have been here--on the data collection the machine sends back. You should probably do your homework on the manufacturer. Then the device.

That's how I shop.

What's that all about? That sounds pretty serious. Anyway that Lenovo is out of stock so it's not an option anymore. I seem to be down to 3 possible candidates now, neither of which are Lenovo's.

New Threads

Top Bottom