• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

anyone have face sensitivity?

zylon

Ever since I was a baby, I have had an extreme sensitivity to human faces. Although I am not good at recognizing new people by their face, I do have a powerful emotional response to a face. Some faces make be feel depressed and nauseated, and some faces make me feel ecstatic. Thus the face of a person I am with is overwhelming to me. The highest joy for me is just to be with someone with the right face. How happy or unhappy I am in life is largely determined by the faces of the people I am with.
How does the appearance of the human face affect you?

Not as strongly as it affects you, but I don't like eye contact because I think of it as a form of intimacy, and looking at people in general is a bit overwhelming. I'm not sure why. It's kind of like too much personal information is available on their faces.

I have a hard time looking at people I don't like, or who I do like but they intimidate me.

If I can look at a person's face at all, I don't mind looking into their eyes. Actually, I watch people's eyes a lot to try to read what's going on inside them. But I don't want them looking at my eyes, especially at the same time as when I'm looking at theirs. I feel invaded when someone looks me in the eyes too much, unless it's someone I'm especially comfortable with and/or fond of.

Actually, most of the time, I'd rather people just not look at me at all, even though I watch people closely all the time. I grew up in an abusive household, so I learned quickly and deeply how to read people's momentum and energy, especially toward me, and to always be alert to what the people around me are doing or what they seem to be feeling. In fact, I tend to over-amplify my perception of the flow of their energy so their actions won't catch me by surprise. But that means I also tend to read too much into people's motivations sometimes, and over-attend to their negative energy.

Looking into someone's eyes is a good way to see things about that person that they themselves aren't aware of.

I have an obsession with certain kinds of faces, so I think I understand where you're coming from. I love certain expressions. I can't really explain which ones - often the ones that seem to be between multiple emotions (as opposed to simple ones like 'happy face' ad 'sad face'). I particularly like hand-drawn faces (from cartoons and such). I don't know why. Often artificial faces really appeal to me. I've been known to message people out of the blue (including this site) to ask where the faces in their avatar come from so I can look them up.

I think your response to them is more intense than mine, but I think it might be the same type of thing. That's really interesting to know. :) How do you feel about hand-drawn or animated faces? Do they have to be real faces?

I particularly like hand-drawn faces (from cartoons and such). I don't know why. Often artificial faces really appeal to me.

Aww, I love well-done cartoon faces! I love studying what makes them so expressive, though I'm not at all good at drawing them. It's the simplest cartoons...with the most insightful psychological understanding of human emotions...that really catch my attention.

I am somewhat obsessed with symmetry in faces, but they do not invoke strong emotions in me, merely a fascination in the layout of the face and how well one side mirrors the other.

I have an obsession with certain kinds of faces, so I think I understand where you're coming from. I love certain expressions. I can't really explain which ones - often the ones that seem to be between multiple emotions (as opposed to simple ones like 'happy face' ad 'sad face'). I particularly like hand-drawn faces (from cartoons and such). I don't know why. Often artificial faces really appeal to me. I've been known to message people out of the blue (including this site) to ask where the faces in their avatar come from so I can look them up.

I think your response to them is more intense than mine, but I think it might be the same type of thing. That's really interesting to know. :) How do you feel about hand-drawn or animated faces? Do they have to be real faces?
For hand drawn faces, I like young female Japanese anime faces with black hair.
Expressions are not that important, it is the person herself. Skin color is important, it must be very light. Tan or dark skin is nauseating to me. The eyes should be wide and prominent, and the lower face should be small. Wide jaws or prominent chin sickens me. And the face must be young; any aging or texturizing of the skin is sickening to me. Black hair is best, but yellow or dark red can be good too. Infants are especially disgusting to me. I totally could not eat if I see or hear an infant. Females have a stronger effect, both for the good or for the bad, than males do.

For hand drawn faces, I like young female Japanese anime faces with black hair.
Expressions are not that important, it is the person herself. Skin color is important, it must be very light. Tan or dark skin is nauseating to me. The eyes should be wide and prominent, and the lower face should be small. Wide jaws or prominent chin sickens me. And the face must be young; any aging or texturizing of the skin is sickening to me. Black hair is best, but yellow or dark red can be good too. Infants are especially disgusting to me. I totally could not eat if I see or hear an infant. Females have a stronger effect, both for the good or for the bad, than males do.
That's interesting. :) I don't have a specific type of face I like, however, I am most often attracted to female ones (though some male facial expressions fascinate me too).

I especially agree with anime faces being interesting. When I used to watch "Sailor Moon" with my wife (then girlfriend), I'd drive her crazy by constantly having to pause and take screenshots of different expressions. Sailor Moon had a lot of really great expressions.

That's interesting. :) I don't have a specific type of face I like, however, I am most often attracted to female ones (though some male facial expressions fascinate me too).

I especially agree with anime faces being interesting. When I used to watch "Sailor Moon" with my wife (then girlfriend), I'd drive her crazy by constantly having to pause and take screenshots of different expressions. Sailor Moon had a lot of really great expressions.
Well, really it is not that I find anime faces interesting, I find them pleasant to look at, like I really want to be with them. And it does not matter much what the expression is, it is the face itself, or more accurately, the person the face represents. Sailor Moon girls are pretty, especially with black hair.

Well, really it is not that I find anime faces interesting, I find them pleasant to look at, like I really want to be with them. And it does not matter much what the expression is, it is the face itself, or more accurately, the person the face represents. Sailor Moon girls are pretty, especially with black hair.
Even though yours seems to manifest a little differently, it's good to know that I'm not the only one who has a 'thing' about faces. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom