• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone have experience with Auditory Integration therapy (ex. ILS)?

elspeth

V.I.P Member
I've been learning about Auditory Integration therapy and would like to hear from anyone, particularly adults who have been through it.

It's pricey, about $200 for the equipment plus some occupational therapist time (I'm not sure yet if it will be covered by insurance), so it's important to me to hear from others who've done it.

Most of the reviews and testimonials I've seen center on children.

From what I've learned the therapy is designed to build new brain pathways, harnessing neuroplasticity.

The therapy itself as a home practice consists of listening to classical music that has been altered to periodically shift in frequency throughout a session, through special headphones that transmit the sound through vibration, while doing more than one other task, such as juggling while balancing on a balance ball, while being drilled on times tables.

See example here:

The idea is that it entrains one's brain to be able to handle multiple inputs, for concentration/focus, for better auditory discrimination, etc.

Anecdotally, with children there seem to be glowing reports of how it can be useful to those who are autistic and/or have ADHD, but from what I can tell while I'm hopeful about it, there are no well-done studies to support it and I also know that there is a huge, desperate market (of largely parents) who are primed to buy into therapies like this one.

Some of the brand names associated with this kind of therapy are ILS, Maximind, the Tomatis Method.

UK NICE guidelines for clinicians working with children and young people up to 19 says Do not use this approach. Probably because it lacks a research base.

New Threads

Top Bottom